Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
There are various modes:
- EV - pure electric gets ~30 miles on full charge

How does each of these modes truly work:
- Hybrid with full charge and only some charge
- Adaptive
- Eco
- Sport

How many average MPG does these modes provide?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
There are various modes:

- Adaptive
- Eco
- Sport

Thank you.
too many variables at work for average MPG. Sport mode will be the least efficient since it is using exclusively the gas engine (battery control will be worse due to the gas engine being used to do 2 things at once). Eco would be the most efficient (that's another hybrid mode), followed by hybrid (comfort default hybrid mode). Not sure where adaptive would fall, but it should be more on the efficient side.

You can also turn on anticipatory hybrid drive in general settings and use the iDrive navigation which will switch modes between electric and hybrid depending on your battery capacity.

You'll also charge your battery in each mode with battery control providing the most charge.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The EPA numbers try to be close to real world values, but in reality, they provide an apples-apples comparison, since the procedure is the same for all vehicles (well, Tesla uses an optional test that is allowed, but nobody else does, so their numbers look higher).

Unless you were to drive under exactly the same circumstances, you'd not likely get the same values. Then, throw in on an EV or PHEV, the temperature can make a big difference, as the actual capacity of the battery fluctuates (decreases) when it's colder.

Prior to a 2000-mile trip, nearly all of my driving was around town, where EV or hybrid mode was used, and the computer said almost 90-mpg. In about 2000-miles, I had only used about 1.5 tanks of fuel. Then, I drove a fully loaded vehicle, at about an average of 75-mph along mostly interstates, and calculating fuel used and miles traveled, it showed about 28-mpg, and the since new average went to about 40 (and is climbing back up again slowly).

Take two different people, drive the same route, they'll likely get different results. Run in sport mode, in stop and go in the city, and it won't get great mileage, but do the same out on the road, it will be much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are various modes:

Hybrid is basically full electric unless your speed or acceleration is high enough that the system decides to use the ice engine. The threshold seems to be around 80 mph. Harder acceleration can also activate the ice engine, which can be seen on the power display that replaces the tach.

On Hybrid mode when there is 0 range, the car drives using the ice engine and will regenerate range.

Quote:
Impossible to say because it depends on if your ice engages at all. On the vast majority of my drives, the ice never engages or does so only briefly as I pass someone. So the mpg is effectively infinite. I'm still 80% full on the gas tank my car came with from the dealer.

But someone else whose daily commute is on a highway where they can hit 90, they'll be using the ice engine mostly.

Last edited by taek; 10-24-2021 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
Quote:
There are various modes:

Hybrid is basically full electric unless your speed or acceleration is high enough that the system decides to use the ice engine. The threshold seems to be around 80 mph. Harder acceleration can also activate the ice engine, which can be seen on the power display that replaces the tach.

On Hybrid mode when there is 0 range, the car drives using the ice engine and will regenerate range.

Quote:
Impossible to say because it depends on if your ice engages at all. On the vast majority of my drives, the ice never engages or does so only briefly as I pass someone. So the mpg is effectively infinite. I'm still 80% full on the gas tank my car came with from the dealer.
In my observation, the threshold seems to be more like 65mph. When on the highway yesterday, it was electric at 65 and ICE at 70.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If the road was pool table flat and you kept your foot very steady, it will stay electric up to about 84-mph...in reality, as you approach that, it's likely that the ICE will engage.

Someone said the Adaptive mode is no longer on the 2022 MY vehicles...if you have a destination entered in that mode, the computer will decide based on your trip where best to use the ICE versus EV and try to end up at your destination just as the battery is discharged based on the terrain and speed limits along that route.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #7
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If the road was pool table flat and you kept your foot very steady, it will stay electric up to about 84-mph...in reality, as you approach that, it's likely that the ICE will engage.

Someone said the Adaptive mode is no longer on the 2022 MY vehicles...if you have a destination entered in that mode, the computer will decide based on your trip where best to use the ICE versus EV and try to end up at your destination just as the battery is discharged based on the terrain and speed limits along that route.
Oh can someone confirm if they look out the Adaptive mode out from 2022?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 06:41 PM   #8
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
Quote:
There are various modes:

Quote:
In my observation, the threshold seems to be more like 65mph. When on the highway yesterday, it was electric at 65 and ICE at 70.
This. When I'm in Hybrid mode the blue line on the speedometer of my 45e goes up to 65 mph.

FWIW, in my use case (~2/3 ICE in Sport mode and 1/3 electric in Hybrid mode) I average 29.5 mpg.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #9
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I have had ICE kick in at 40-45 mph on a steep incline. I think it tries to preserve the battery for the entire route.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 08:29 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

While you can force the ICE on in sport mode, or by exceeding limits, basically, when the computer thinks you need more power, it will turn the ICE on. That can happen even in EV mode if you press down far enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Oh can someone confirm if they look out the Adaptive mode out from 2022?
some MY22 X5 variants have it while some don't (without any indication as to why), but I've seen Adaptive drive mode remain in all MY22 45e pictured here and the FB group
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #12
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I hope mine will have the Adaptive drive mode in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
some MY22 X5 variants have it while some don't (without any indication as to why), but I've seen Adaptive drive mode remain in all MY22 45e pictured here and the FB group
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #13
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e21 View Post
I have had ICE kick in at 40-45 mph on a steep incline. I think it tries to preserve the battery for the entire route.
Makes sense. I'm in the midwest, the roads are as flat as possible out here and I never experienced the ice kicking in that early.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:37 PM   #14
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

It all depends on whether the nav sees that a hill is coming up, how fast you're currently going, and what you do with the gas pedal...you have to press past a detent (similar to the 'kickdown' on an older, carbureted vehicle) to get the ICE to turn on in EV mode, but hybrid, it can happen much sooner, and in sport, it's on most of the time.
Appreciate 0