BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2023, 10:24 AM   #1
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

F95 X5M vs F95 X5M LCI, feedback???

Just curious if anyone upgraded to F95 X5M LCI yet?

If you do, please make a quick review what to hate and what not to hate between LCI and pre-LCI.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 01:17 PM   #2
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M Competition

Garage List
Only had for a few days but so far this is where I’m at

Things I Like:
-more engine gurgles and pops
-more modern/aggressive front
-more modern headlights
-more modern taillights (X5M)
-finally led skylounge (US models)
-seems like headlights are brighter

Things I dislike:
-very slight startup delay when hitting ignition button compared to pre-lci (must be the 48v system)
-auto start/stop not remembering last setting (hopefully bimmercode releases update for ID8 soon)
-comfort access only on front doors now
-key fob is better looking but less functional (can’t separate fob from key ring like before)
-mostly all my dislikes are ID8 related…1) Lack of certain physical buttons. Some tasks I just think were easier in pre lci mostly climate function related…2) No more climate rules. I get that the system is supposed to be more “intelligent” now and know when to turn heated/cooled seats on or off as well as steering wheel, but exactly how is it determining that? I liked the control before with setting certain temps…3) Text messages only fully display when in parked. I believe this only applies if not using CarPlay or Android Auto though. I get it it’s about safety and focusing on driving but I miss being able to glance over to read a short text…4) Heads-up display tach as well as dash in M-Mode were better looking graphically with ID7 in my opinion.

I’m curious to hear from others!
Appreciate 3
Vudoo4u2457.50
Swappy531.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-21-2023, 07:44 PM   #3
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Thanks for the comments!
      05-22-2023, 06:22 AM   #4
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisV View Post

Things I Like:
-more modern headlights

Things I dislike:
-very slight startup delay when hitting ignition button compared to pre-lci (must be the 48v system)
-auto start/stop not remembering last setting (hopefully bimmercode releases update for ID8 soon)
-key fob is better looking but less functional (can’t separate fob from key ring like before)
-mostly all my dislikes are ID8 related…1) Lack of certain physical buttons. Some tasks I just think were easier in pre lci mostly climate function related…2) No more climate rules. I get that the system is supposed to be more “intelligent” now and know when to turn heated/cooled seats on or off as well as steering wheel, but exactly how is it determining that? I liked the control before with setting certain temps…3) Text messages only fully display when in parked. I believe this only applies if not using CarPlay or Android Auto though. I get it it’s about safety and focusing on driving but I miss being able to glance over to read a short text…4) Heads-up display tach as well as dash in M-Mode were better looking graphically with ID7 in my opinion.

Thank you for all of the comments. Further deterring me from upgrading to LCI
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #5
Tehnoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i, X6Mc

Quote:

Things I Like:
-more modern headlights

Things I dislike:

Can you actually hear the pops and gurgles from outside the car? Wondering if they are fake or not through speaker.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2023, 10:08 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I know its different tuning but those that had the M50i that upgraded to M60i noted that the sound actually decreased from the exhaust system.

Alan
      05-22-2023, 10:32 AM   #7
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:

Things I Like:
-more modern headlights

Things I dislike:

comfort access just for front doors is also a minus for me. Pretty ridiculous to cheap out on that for such an expensive car. Also no button for folding the backseats from the trunk ... at least I have not found one yet.
      05-22-2023, 10:35 AM   #8
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasAT View Post
comfort access just for front doors is also a minus for me. Pretty ridiculous to cheap out on that for such an expensive car. Also no button for folding the backseats from the trunk ... at least I have not found one yet.
agreed…yeah button for folding seats we lost in MY23
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #9
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehyox View Post
Can you actually hear the pops and gurgles from outside the car? Wondering if they are fake or not through speaker.
yes I can hear them a bit more than my MY23. now whether that’s mixed with artificial sound in the cabin I’m not sure. wouldn’t be surprised
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2023, 10:58 AM   #10
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

what about the change in headlights from previous LED/Laser to now smaller matrix LEDs? my oldest son drives ours mostly and loves the current headlights and worried night driving will be worse? yeah the start stop sucks. and losing the rear comfort access is annoying but you can add the perimeter lock unlock with idrive 8. just sometimes putting in groceries and need to unlock the other side so touching the rear door did that.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #11
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
what about the change in headlights from previous LED/Laser to now smaller matrix LEDs? my oldest son drives ours mostly and loves the current headlights and worried night driving will be worse? yeah the start stop sucks. and losing the rear comfort access is annoying but you can add the perimeter lock unlock with idrive 8. just sometimes putting in groceries and need to unlock the other side so touching the rear door did that.

Noushy
yes I was worried about the thinner headlights being an issue at night but for some reason they now seem brighter in my opinion
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #12
Tehnoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 m60i, X6Mc

Quote:
yes I can hear them a bit. more than my MY23. now whether that’s mixed with artificial sound in the cabin I’m not sure. wouldn’t be surprised
We have an M60i G07, and if you have BMW Iconic sounds on there's tons of fake noise including pops and crackles. It's all from speakers and not from the actual exhaust as far as I can tell. Someone on the G07 forum said that there is a speaker on the outside as well by the exhaust. Turning it off and the car is pretty much silent, which tbh I like a lot more in the G07. Allows you to drive around in sports mode and not sound like a yahoo in a 6000 lb suv.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2023, 05:00 PM   #13
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Thanks KrisV for the feedback. Didn't upgrade from a pre-LCI (F85 for me) but I can confirm pretty much the same exact things. Didn't really notice the delay in the start button the first couple of days, but now I do definitely notice and kinda miss the instant engine start after pressing the button.

Also you didn't mention anything about ride quality/firmness. I can't personally compare but I can say that for me it feels much more smooth and composed than my previous F85. Curious to hear your thought compared to the pre-LCI.

Side note: Love the new key fob, but impossible to find a ring that will fit the new opening for a key chain. Luckily with comfort access I haven't used the key fob since day 1
KrisV209.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      05-22-2023, 05:06 PM   #14
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
Thanks KrisV for the feedback. Didn't upgrade from a pre-LCI (F85 for me) but I can confirm pretty much the same exact things. Didn't really notice the delay in the start button the first couple of days, but now I do definitely notice and kinda miss the instant engine start after pressing the button.

Also you didn't mention anything about ride quality/firmness. I can't personally compare but I can say that for me it feels much more smooth and composed than my previous F85. Curious to hear your thought compared to the pre-LCI.

Side note: Love the new key fob, but impossible to find a ring that will fit the new opening for a key chain. Luckily with comfort access I haven't used the key fob since day 1
I’d say the quality/firmness is pretty close to pre-LCI. can’t say I notice much difference in ride. I had to get a super small ring to fit the fob for my keys…I’m glad you are loving yours! probably a big jump from the F85
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 05:08 PM   #15
KrisV
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehyox View Post
We have an M60i G07, and if you have BMW Iconic sounds on there's tons of fake noise including pops and crackles. It's all from speakers and not from the actual exhaust as far as I can tell. Someone on the G07 forum said that there is a speaker on the outside as well by the exhaust. Turning it off and the car is pretty much silent, which tbh I like a lot more in the G07. Allows you to drive around in sports mode and not sound like a yahoo in a 6000 lb suv.
Interesting…I don’t have Iconic sounds but wouldn’t be surprised if something external is going on. That would be sad though given a v8 should sound great on its own.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #16
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Quote:
I’d say the quality/firmness is pretty close to pre-LCI. can’t say I notice much difference in ride. I had to get a super small ring to fit the fob for my keys…I’m glad you are loving yours! probably a big jump from the F85
Yeah I assumed it wasn't going to be that different, but based on so many reviews/opinion stating how harsh/firm and how maybe not the best DD and how the F85 was more soft/comfortable I was expecting something closer to my old F80 and I was quite shocked on how much I prefer the new X5M. Super comfortable IMHO, much better than the F85, less bouncy/firm on bumps and much more precise/composed and planted.

Yeah the difference with the F85 is like driving a completely different car, almost
KrisV209.50
      05-23-2023, 02:23 AM   #17
spaceage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X6MC, 22 M3, 01 Z3 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mencio View Post
Yeah I assumed it wasn't going to be that different, but based on so many reviews/opinion stating how harsh/firm and how maybe not the best DD and how the F85 was more soft/comfortable I was expecting something closer to my old F80 and I was quite shocked on how much I prefer the new X5M. Super comfortable IMHO, much better than the F85, less bouncy/firm on bumps and much more precise/composed and planted.

Yeah the difference with the F85 is like driving a completely different car, almost
I just went from an F86 to F96 after 3 years in the F86. Also owned an F82 and now a G80.

After only a 200 mile highway trip and 75 miles locally, I can say the F96 is a completely different car. Not dissing on either, I didn't think I would miss aspects of the F86, but I do and it is a fantastic car.

The biggest concern I had with the F96 was what the suspension would be like as I heard it was harsh. While the F96 is firm even in comfort, the overall chassis and ride quality is much better imo the same way the G80 beats the F8x chassis. Plus the extra weight on the F96 makes the whole car feel more planted and solid, for better or worse.

Driving the 200 mile highway trip, there are many segments of twisty mountain passes that I've driven with the F86 many times. Driving the F96 over those segments of road is a 10x experience. The F96 literally flew through those areas in a way that is hard to describe. The amount of body roll is 0. My wife used to bitch at me when I cranked through those segments in the F86. In the F96, we peeled through there at 90mph+, and even she was amazed at how planted the car felt. It's mind boggling really when compared to the F86.

However, the F96 feels really disconnected from the world, again for better or worse. The steering is not as numb as I expected, it's pretty good in a G80 kind of way. But overall the whole vehicle seems really isolated. The F86 had a more "M" quality about it in terms of just raucous behavior and rawness. The F96 feels like it has a lot more lag off the line, which I suppose is a combination of the weight and reliance on turbos. Once it gets going, it kicks ass no doubt, but it doesn't feel nearly as light as the F86, which sounds ridiculous cuz I couldn't believe how heavy that car was.

Given I have the G80 manual, which is a terrific car, I am really happy with the F96 for what we need it for--long road trips in comfort in the pacific NW in a kick ass vehicle. It's better for me personally. But it is a really different car from the F86.

Sorry for a F86->F96 story in an LCI thread, but food for thought for people considering moving from F8x to F9x.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 05:18 AM   #18
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I went with the non-comp. As people have noted above the differences really come down to 15 hp, track mode, larger wheels, and various other purely cosmetic differences. The full leather is an option on the non-comp so not really a diff there. Don’t confuse the x5m comp package with m5/m4 comp vs non-comp which truly have suspension/bushing/ride height differences that can impact the cars performance materially. If you get the Racechip you can even out the HP, I believe every part of the engine is identical except the boost tune.

With regard to ride quality, I test drove a comp and loved everything except the stiff ride so I got the non-comp hoping the higher sidewall would help. I think it did help marginally. Recently I have added an additional 5 radial to the front and rear tires, I think this also helped marginally. Note I’m running a 40 series rear, I think the comps come with a 30 series.
Appreciate 0