GaryK4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i Tanzanite

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Question Text message bug?

It appears that only individual text messages are supported. None of the messages sent to (2) or more people appear in the list. I was driving to the tennis courts and the captain sent a message that the courts were not playable! I never got it. idrive is set to read all messages. I tried rebooting my phone and iDrive, but that did not help. I compared my phone to the BMW and only individuals are displayed.
iDrive 3/2020 version.
Is this a known bug?
      09-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK4 View Post
It appears that only individual text messages are supported. None of the messages sent to (2) or more people appear in the list. I was driving to the tennis courts and the captain sent a message that the courts were not playable! I never got it. idrive is set to read all messages. I tried rebooting my phone and iDrive, but that did not help. I compared my phone to the BMW and only individuals are displayed.
iDrive 3/2020 version.
Is this a known bug?
True circuit-switched SMS doesn't support group texts, so what was sent to you was something else or a workaround.

Some phones will duplicate an SMS to multiple numbers when sent to a "group" and the result is each individual SMS to each recipient (ie 5 member of "group" means 5 individual SMS sent) — that's an example of a "workaround" and would have worked.

On the other hand, iMessage and other chat facilities of course do support group chats, but while those facilities may try to look and integrate with SMS, they are not actually SMS — that's an a example of "something else".

So ... perhaps what you were sent was a group iMessage, not SMS? Was the received text blue on your iPhone?

Or something similar ...
      09-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
GaryK4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
True circuit-switched SMS doesn't support group texts, so what was sent to you was something else or a workaround.

Some phones will duplicate an SMS to multiple numbers when sent to a "group" and the result is each individual SMS to each recipient (ie 5 member of "group" means 5 individual SMS sent) — that's an example of a "workaround" and would have worked.

On the other hand, iMessage and other chat facilities of course do support group chats, but while those facilities may try to look and integrate with SMS, they are not actually SMS — that's an a example of "something else".

So ... perhaps what you were sent was a group iMessage, not SMS? Was the received text blue on your iPhone?

Or something similar ...
I am using a Samsung Note 8 (Android). I believe these messages are MMS, not SMS. I should have said that in the original message. I am receiving messages from other androids and iPhones.
So, I guess that iDrive does not handle MMS messages. Correct?

On further research, the Android app has advanced group settings.
"Choose mass text or group MMS as your default. "
I will try mass text and see if it helps. I don't know if it will be too ugly.

Last edited by GaryK4; 09-12-2020 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

Or something similar ...
I am using a Samsung Note 8 (Android). I believe these messages are MMS, not SMS. I should have said that in the original message. I am receiving messages from other androids and iPhones.
So, I guess that iDrive does not handle MMS messages. Correct?
Well this suddenly got interesting :-). Yes, MMS (unlike SMS) does support limited group texting (limited to max 10 recipients). Considering that I've never seen an over-text-sent picture on iDrive, you may very well be correct that iDrive does not support MMS and only SMS. It would be nice if this was well documented, but of course not. It can be tested, but requires a very careful setup as all modern mobile OSes and apps try really hard to abstract what is actually happening behind the scenes.

It may also be that MMS is not supported over Bluetooth at all or that your phone's implementation may not be able to forward MMS over Bluetooth. Requires research and testing.

TL;DR iDrive 7 supporting only SMS and not MMS over Bluetooth seems like a viable theory.
      09-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
GaryK4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I just tested the mass text option when sending or replying to a group. It is not helpful at all. If the originator send a group message, you still do not see it. If you send or reply, it sends individual messages. That defeats the group purpose.
not nice. Sticking with MMS group message option.