BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #23
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Cool, definitely keep us posted on the resolution. I’ve been away from the office for a couple of weeks so need to get back and focus on work, will be a few days at least before I can do anything about mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Safety.
Care to elaborate?
They brick your car in the dealership it's a minor inconvenience, do it remotely and it's at best a major hassle and at worst dangerous.
So why even include OTA updates with these vehicles if it's so dangerous and the technology isn't reliable?
@ifr: that's not that bad of a question.

I'll speculate: they are doing OTA at all only because a) they marketed it aggressively pre-sales, and b) were on the cusp of false advertising-based lawsuits in some markets.

It is pretty clearly not actually ready for reliable mass deployment, mostly because it is bolted on top of complex legacy update facilities (both technical and logistical) and that legacy is not good enough for continuous technician-hands-off updates in customer hands. I don't hold that against BMW too much and they clearly need to get to it sooner than later, so the deployments that do happen now force and crystallize the design (ie alpha/beta testing). But I do hold against them the a) BS marketing, and the b) BS dealer software updates (lack of) motivation setup.
100% this!

There is not a valid explanation at this point only a failure on execution.

Any OTA upgrade also sets the expectation you have your car parked to execute - there is no danger as you cannot update while driving. If it bricks, BMW comes and tows a car away to address (or brings a laptop).

I can see canarying 50 or so dealer driven upgrades per region to refine code, but after that, there is no reason. We are so many updates down the line past extensive testing in field by dealer that should have happened by now.

What we get instead is spotty availability and many members saying "this has never worked." All the whole dealing with dealers to get tech up to date.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #25
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Dealer sent a text and said problem resolved with 7/2020 update. Have not yet seen results....
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50