10-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport 3rd

Trouble Activating Launcher Pro 3.5.1 using Google Authenticator

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to validate Launcher Pro 3.5.1.261 for weeks with no success. I keep getting a verification failed error. I'm currently serving my tour in Germany which I believe is part of the issue. I successfully got my secret key working through Google Authenticator (GA) validated by testing the key on Tokenmaster's website. My PC is running 64 bit Windows 10 with 8GB RAM and my phone is a Note 10+ running Android 9 in case it's relevant. I've tried the following methods below with no success:

1. Verified PC and phone are both set to German local time and synced GA for time correction

2. Set PC and phone to eastern time (No VPN) and synced GA for time

3. Used a VPN on both my PC and phone set to the same server in New York and also tried other cities in the U.S. and again synced GA for time (PC and phone were both set to the local time of the chosen server)

4. Used VPN but set PC and phone to local German time (just in case it might work)

None of these methods worked. I have researched online but can't find anything I haven't already tried. The main fix reported online is usually syncing time through GA which isn't working in my case. I would really appreciate it if anyone could assist me with a way to get this working. I sent Tokenmaster an e-mail requesting help but I understand he's a very busy person. I value all the knowledge and expertise of the members of this forum so I'm reaching out. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I must admit I find the activation a bit confusing.

Are you using static or dynamic activation?

On the tokenmaster site, when logged in - can you see any activation codes? There should be an option to create activation codes but I cant really check as i've reached the limit of 2.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 10-11-2019 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
I must admit I find the activation a bit confusing.

Are you using static or dynamic activation?

On the tokenmaster site, when logged in - can you see any activation codes? There should be an option to create activation codes but I cant really check as i've reached the limit of 2.
When I open up launcher it doesn't give me the option for static activation. I believe the most recent launchers only allow dynamic through the authenticator. When I login to the tokenmaster website, I can see a line that says "activation codes" with validity dates but the code itself isn't displayed and there isn't a place that allows me to click to make one appear. There is a place to enter a request code in order to get an activation code but I wasn't provided a request code by tokenmaster. Even if I had the activation code how would I load it into Launcher Pro? There is no option in the window to enter a code. There is only a place to put my account and the pin from the authenticator app. Please let me know if you have any more ideas and thanks for replying eaglesrest!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I use static activation to activate LP with latest version but I don't think you are getting to the option to choose Static or Dynamic activation stage yet.

I guess you have tried removing the 2-step from the GA app, and then re-add using the same PC you are trying to active LP on? Make sure the PC time is the same as phone, and the same time-zone when you add the bar code to GA on the phone.

I've noticed that if the GA phone time/date is different to the PC system time it will generate a Verification failed error. Fails like clockwork, pardon the pun, so you are probably on the right track with the time.

VPN shouldnt be necessary if you are manually setting the system time on each device. Dont use automatic time if you think there is a sync issue. Set it manually on every device before starting the process and make sure the time doesnt change drastically at any point
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I use static activation to activate LP with latest version but I don't think you are getting to the option to choose Static or Dynamic activation stage yet.

I guess you have tried removing the 2-step from the GA app, and then re-add using the same PC you are trying to active LP on? Make sure the PC time is the same as phone, and the same time-zone when you add the bar code to GA on the phone.

I've noticed that if the GA phone time/date is different to the PC system time it will generate a Verification failed error. Fails like clockwork, pardon the pun, so you are probably on the right track with the time.

VPN shouldnt be necessary if you are manually setting the system time on each device. Dont use automatic time if you think there is a sync issue. Set it manually on every device before starting the process and make sure the time doesnt change drastically at any point
I removed the 2 step from my phone and set the time manually on both my phone and pc as well as verified the time zones and it still didn't work. I uninstalled 3.5.1 and installed 3.4.2 tried everything I tried before and still nothing. I don't know what else to try.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

I had similar trouble. Uninstalled everything, reinstalled it, same trouble. Reinstalled the 64 bit patch a few times too. Then tried to activate consistently as soon as a new number showed up on my phone and eventually it worked....
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
I had similar trouble. Uninstalled everything, reinstalled it, same trouble. Reinstalled the 64 bit patch a few times too. Then tried to activate consistently as soon as a new number showed up on my phone and eventually it worked....
I'll try reinstalling the patch as well. I haven't tried that yet. I've sat at my computer with my phone inputting codes as fast as possible so I don't think that is the issue but I'll keep at it! Would you and eaglesrest mind telling me what version launcher pro you're running?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #8
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcastudillo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
I'll try reinstalling the patch as well. I haven't tried that yet. I've sat at my computer with my phone inputting codes as fast as possible so I don't think that is the issue but I'll keep at it! Would you and eaglesrest mind telling me what version launcher pro you're running?
I'm running the last one, 3.5.1.261
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:31 AM   #9
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I can activate using either latest LP 3.5.x or previous version 3.4.x.

I doubt reinstalling the C++ libraries will help. If the app starts and you can see the prompt for a username and token, then its working, but you can get latest from here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...al-c-downloads

What OS are you using? You could try updating Windows after updating Visual C++ but again I doubt it will make a difference.

With the TM Test GA webpage open and the app asking for your userid and token, when you enter the token into the webpage do you get success and then failure within the app? Using the same token response and same PC, same phone etc?

Just before doing the test, open another browser window and google - what time is it? confirm time matches what you expect.

What phone are you using GA on? There is a time correction for codes setting in GA on android.

Everything needs to be synced with the correct time. I am not sure what the tolerances are but I can make it fail consistently by altering the GA time. Have you tried removing the GA completely from your phone?

EDIT: tested it and its really really time sensitive. If the time on either the target device or phone are out of sync by even a minute it will fail. A correct time sync on both devices with an NTP server should address this, but you need to make sure GA is started on the phone when the time is properly synced with the time on the PC or it will fail consistently.

BTW if you plan on discovering your own codes, or coding newer codes you are better off with esysx which has mappings for later i-step.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 10-13-2019 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:28 AM   #10
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I doubt reinstalling the C++ libraries will help. If the app starts and you can see the prompt for a username and token, then its working, but you can get latest from here:

What OS are you using? You could try updating Windows after updating Visual C++ but again I doubt it will make a difference.

With the TM Test GA webpage open and the app asking for your userid and token, when you enter the token into the webpage do you get success and then failure within the app? Using the same token response and same PC, same phone etc?

Just before doing the test, open another browser window and google - what time is it? confirm time matches what you expect.

What phone are you using GA on? There is a time correction for codes setting in GA on android.

Everything needs to be synced with the correct time. I am not sure what the tolerances are but I can make it fail consistently by altering the GA time. Have you tried removing the GA completely from your phone?

EDIT: tested it and its really really time sensitive. If the time on either the target device or phone are out of sync by even a minute it will fail. A correct time sync on both devices with an NTP server should address this, but you need to make sure GA is started on the phone when the time is properly synced with the time on the PC or it will fail consistently.

BTW if you plan on discovering your own codes, or coding newer codes you are better off with esysx which has mappings for later i-step.
Quote:

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I'm running Windows 64 bit on my PC with all updates installed and my phone is a Galaxy Note 10+ with Android 9.

I tried all the time settings you mentioned. One of the last things I tried before posting on the forum was syncing my pc to Google's NTP server and ensuring my phone was synced as well. I validated there was less than a 3 second difference between them. I also tried putting the code in the website while I had my friend punch in the code in GA at the same time. The code was accepted in the website but failed validating launcher pro.

Eaglesrest, you mentioned I'd be better off using Esysx for later mappings. Could you please tell me what things I would be limited in coding with using launcher pro vs Esysx? This is my first time coding (besides using bimmercode). I've done alot of reading and research as to theory but have no practical use experience. Thanks again for your time!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcastudillo View Post
Eaglesrest, you mentioned I'd be better off using Esysx for later mappings. Could you please tell me what things I would be limited in coding with using launcher pro vs Esysx? This is my first time coding (besides using bimmercode). I've done alot of reading and research as to theory but have no practical use experience. Thanks again for your time!
I did a comparison here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1653100

Most of the existing codes can be coded fine. It's future codes or currently unmapped codes you will have an issue with.

I've attached pics from latest launcher pro and the difference in what you will see with esysx. Notice the SARAH_* values. You will see these kind of trimmed codes throughout each ECU in Launcher Pro, at least until/if TokenMaster updates the mappings beyond 1804.
Attached Images

Last edited by archivedaccount; 10-13-2019 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #12
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did a comparison here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1653100

Most of the existing codes can be coded fine. It's future codes or currently unmapped codes you will have an issue with.

I've attached pics from latest launcher pro and the difference in what you will see with esysx. Notice the SARAH_* values. You will see these kind of trimmed codes throughout each ECU in Launcher Pro, at least until/if TokenMaster updates the mappings beyond 1804.
Thank you for the link and the explanation. Looks like I'll be investing in esysx as well! Do you mind if I PM you some other off topic questions? I purchased my U.S. spec car while stationed here in Germany and it is heavily "neutered" of certain features. I'd like your thoughts and suggestions on some things. I'd appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #13
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

No problem.

Is your car built as a US spec car i.e. do you 5AU with 5AR Traffic Jam Assist? Curious as to whether this will work outside the USA i.e. if its using GPS to restrict the Assisted Drive Plus option.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #14
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem.

Is your car built as a US spec car i.e. do you 5AU with 5AR Traffic Jam Assist? Curious as to whether this will work outside the USA i.e. if its using GPS to restrict the Assisted Drive Plus option.
PM'd
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:08 AM   #15
jpaige10
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15 BMW X5

Angry Verification Failure When Activating TokenMaster's Launcher PRO 3.7.0

Hi Guys, I am also facing this problem and so far unable to get around it following days of frustration. Any help really appreciated. Here are some screenshots showing where I get stuck. I can confirm time synch is OK no issues there.

Thank you all in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:27 AM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaige10 View Post
Hi Guys, I am also facing this problem and so far unable to get around it following days of frustration. Any help really appreciated. Here are some screenshots showing where I get stuck. I can confirm time synch is OK no issues there.

Thank you all in advance.
It's not working.

My auth was working yesterday but dynamic activation would not work.

Google auth is not working for me at all now.

TM system is a bag of spanners. I'd dump it, move on and buy esysx with a dongle if possible.
Appreciate 0