E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What does top gear think of the e90?

03-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
desinole
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan

What does top gear think of the e90?

Quote:
The 2005 BMW 3 Series (E90) was judged to be the first that the presenters couldn't be bothered to put it on the wall, described as just "a lump of car" and being like "mild cheddar".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_gear#The_Cool_Wall

Second line of the second paragraph.

So what do you guys have to say about this ?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
vleivo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 325i steptronic

Top gear is such BS, hello my name is jeremy and im english and only like english cars.
      03-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
desinole
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Allrite, I disagree. If you ever watched an american car show, you would know how good top gear is.

But again, the cool wall is just a fun thing. But to acctually call the E90 "a lump of car" ???

And here is more insult to injury...

Quote:
The 2005 Top Gear Awards were given to:
Biggest Surprise - Audi RS4
Ugliest Car - BMW 3 Series
Best Car - Bugatti Veyron
Best Engine Noise - Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Gas Guzzler - Ford GT
Coolest Car - Aston Martin V8 Vantage (according to Clarkson), Porsche 911 (according to Hammond and the script)
The Golden Cock - James May
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
vleivo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 325i steptronic

Havent watched any american programs. But still Jeremy usually likes english cars just because they are english. For example Car magazine which is english loves the new 3 series.
      03-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

He bought a Ford GT ... is Ford considered English now that they own Jaguar and Aston?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep
Drives: 06' Audi A4 2.0T

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleivo
Top gear is such BS, hello my name is jeremy and im english and only like english cars.
Dude, you do even watch the show?

And do you understand his criticism regarding the new 3-Series?

Jon.

Sucker love is heaven sent.
You pucker up, our passion’s spent.
My hearts a tart, your body’s rent.
My body’s broken, yours is spent.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Karr
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d Exec.

You can see a review of the e90 in TopGear in the media section, link here: Top Gear E90

As for the opinion of Jeremy/TopGear, I compare it to the critics I read about movies: If they are bad, then I really want to see the movie and guess what: 9 out of 10 times I like it and many people do. TopGear is just fun to watch, I don't care about their opinion. Just my 2cts....

Karr
      03-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Watch Top Gear for laughs from inexperienced drivers.
Watch Fifth Gear for accurate information from former race car drivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #9
aarnt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i

People, the english don't generaly like BMW. It has to do with the buying and then dropping of some of the english car manufacturers. Do you remember the BMW in a James Bond film? Have you seen another? I was a student in the UK back then and I remeber the hatred of english people to BMW after that. But not all are like this. As said before there are english magazines that are fond of BMW...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
rss
Private
Rep
Drives: 320dSE Touring E91

I think you are completely wrong there. You only have to look at how the 3 series has performed, even outselling the Ford Mondeo at times.

People have short memories. Rover is forgotten about by all but those who were most affected.

Everywhere I look there are BMW's. They are a desirable car and righly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnt
People, the english don't generaly like BMW. It has to do with the buying and then dropping of some of the english car manufacturers. Do you remember the BMW in a James Bond film? Have you seen another? I was a student in the UK back then and I remeber the hatred of english people to BMW after that. But not all are like this. As said before there are english magazines that are fond of BMW...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 05:59 AM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rss
I think you are completely wrong there. You only have to look at how the 3 series has performed, even outselling the Ford Mondeo at times.

People have short memories. Rover is forgotten about by all but those who were most affected.

Everywhere I look there are BMW's. They are a desirable car and righly so.
I TOTALLY agree with you on that. E46 3 series were sold way better than Mondeos and Vectras at a given moment in your country.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 06:44 AM   #12
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

Exactly, Top Gear is a fun program and JC is a funny journalist / presenter. They mock the E90 in a way that is appropriate to the show. They talk about emotional aspects etc, which perhaps the E90 doesn't stir their soul like a Veyron does.

Also JC constantly mocks the UK car industry and acknowledges they we were in the s##t until the Americans & VW put some money (and direction) into them.

The pragmatic car review magazines like What?Car etc. rightly give the E90 a great review because it is a great car and performs well in all the practical areas of modern ownership.

You watch Top Gear to laugh at their perspective, but you buy What?Car etc to check the detail.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m
Exactly, Top Gear is a fun program and JC is a funny journalist / presenter. They mock the E90 in a way that is appropriate to the show. They talk about emotional aspects etc, which perhaps the E90 doesn't stir their soul like a Veyron does.

Also JC constantly mocks the UK car industry and acknowledges they we were in the s##t until the Americans & VW put some money (and direction) into them.

The pragmatic car review magazines like What?Car etc. rightly give the E90 a great review because it is a great car and performs well in all the practical areas of modern ownership.

You watch Top Gear to laugh at their perspective, but you buy What?Car etc to check the detail.
Exactly. I have a subscription on EVO for that matter.

How is United doing?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #14
magik
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Interesting discussion, couple of points from an Englishman:

1) BMW is a very popular brand in England. To think that BMW is hated in England is not true at all.
2) There is very very little sentiment regarding Rover. Having owned a new Rover (make that 2 as I rejected the first one) within the past two years (the ZT260 V8), I can comment that they deserved what they got. Poor build, poor service, etc etc.
3) Top Gear vs Fifth Gear: Top Gear is extremely popular. Fifth Gear is err....not. JC is not to all tastes, but try staying awake during Fifth Gear.
4) Poor E90 review. Just wait and see what they say about the new V8 M3. It'll be very very different.
5) Not actually aware that there are any decent English cars around now, just small low volume producers. TVR was the last, now its owned by a Russian. English petrolheads got used to the idea years ago that we have no great UK-based car manufacturers anymore.

What do I drive? Oh yeh, an E90 330.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #15
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m

Fine. But to call the E90 ugly?...Very strange indeed. No credibilty, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 09:00 AM   #16
DonnyGirl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325 SE + sports susp SG

To be fair Jeremy did acknowledge it had very good engineering. He just thinks it looks prety dull - and I have to agree with him somewhat, but looks did not stop me oreering one.

He is funny to watch, but not to be taken seriously - as stated above What Car gave the E90 Best car award 2006, not just in Small Executative (sp) but best car overall. Similiary loads of other English reviews rave the car.

As for Rover, it was run down well before BMW attempted to save it (c.f British Areospace ownership !) and BMW put a lot of mone into it. - And at least we got decent Mini out of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #17
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i don't care about him. he's a really good entertainer, but his remarks often cross the line. i think he's a moron.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 09:42 AM   #18
com_mander
Rep
Drives: 325i sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleivo
Nicely timed ...

For anyone interested in Jeremy's thoughts on why anyone would buy english cars ...

http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/01/1.html
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #19
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep
Drives: 06' Audi A4 2.0T

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
i don't care about him. he's a really good entertainer, but his remarks often cross the line. i think he's a moron.
I would have to chalk that up to the generalized American mentality. I think he has a right to speak his mind and even incidents like the famous “Mini / BMW Nazi turn signal salute” are indeed funny AND for the most par just the releasing of frustration by the English, because well the Germans lobbed V2 rockets at them and you know, basically tried to take over their country.

Jon.

Sucker love is heaven sent.
You pucker up, our passion’s spent.
My hearts a tart, your body’s rent.
My body’s broken, yours is spent.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #20
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Never bought an english car in may life!

But most of JC's comments are meant to court public opinion and get some people upset. That's why he does it, and I find it refreshing along side other more factual programs.

The E90 is a bit ugly, but in a fat-girl-come-good kind of way. The older she gets the more beauty people will see in her. I just think of myself as someone who spotted the talent earlier than most!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #21
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

The other thing to remember about that cool/not cool wall is it's not about quality or how a car drives. It's more like what car poster would a little kid more likely put on his wall. While the 3-series is a great car, it's rather common in most the big markets so it just doesn't have that stand out from the crowd cool factor in a lot of places. Think of a Vanquish in those same terms now. At least it makes their wall make a little more sense

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #22
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Fine. But to call the E90 ugly?...Very strange indeed. No credibilty, IMO.
It is ... get over it.
Appreciate 0