03-27-2024, 08:50 AM   #1
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
X5 2024 50e wireless charging pad killed NFC

Just a warning to anyone with a new Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra. I recently confirmed that the NFC function in my new S24 Ultra phone is no longer working. I did a web search and saw that BMW charging pads have caused overheating to the point that they kill NFC hardware in other phones. I know the NFC worked originally on my phone but after a long trip recently where the phone was very hot from charging the NFC no longer works. Of course I cannot pinpoint the exact cause but this does appear to be a problem with other BMW owners as well.

Anyone know how to disable or disconnect the wireless charging pad? I am getting a replacement phone and don't want this to happen again but I do like to store my phone in that spot during trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:47 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcit View Post
Just a warning to anyone with a new Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra. I recently confirmed that the NFC function in my new S24 Ultra phone is no longer working. I did a web search and saw that BMW charging pads have caused overheating to the point that they kill NFC hardware in other phones. I know the NFC worked originally on my phone but after a long trip recently where the phone was very hot from charging the NFC no longer works. Of course I cannot pinpoint the exact cause but this does appear to be a problem with other BMW owners as well.

Anyone know how to disable or disconnect the wireless charging pad? I am getting a replacement phone and don't want this to happen again but I do like to store my phone in that spot during trips.
1) can’t be disabled
2) many suggestions to pull its fuse but no feedback if it’s been successful or if doing so affects other components
3) place a barrier on top of it to prevent activating the induction coils
4) store it on the other side of that tray

the iPhone 15 appeared to be model mostly affected which was addressed in a software update
Appreciate 1
Jcit51.00
      03-27-2024, 03:52 PM   #3
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I found an option to disable "Fast Wireless Charging" in my Samsung S24 phone (Settings>Battery>Charging Settings" which might prevent this overheat situation but I cannot confirm that. I still do not plan on using the BMW charging pad in the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 06:34 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

One thing to consider, especially if you drive in marginal cellular coverage areas, there’s a coupler built into that pad that couples the phone’s antenna to the one on the roof to improve the signal strength…it’s not just a charging pad.

There’s also a maximum size phone that will work, and some of the larger ones are outside of those limitations listed in the user’s manual that many never read plus, while maybe hard to see depending on your height and seat position, there is an LED indicator that will tell you if the phone is properly centered. Then, there’s also a limitation on how thick of a case you can have on the phone for it to work properly. Keep in mind that any phone that is charging while maintaining a constant cellular connection for say navigation or streaming music will get hot, regardless of the charging pad. Now, it would be nice if BMW may have included some additional ventilation into that space, but the current version does not.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:28 PM   #5
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

It doesn't charge fast enough to keep up with android auto on a Pixel Fold, I've figured that much out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 12:29 AM   #6
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

The other week on a 60-70°F day after 15 minutes of charging on the wireless pad, my phone displayed a message saying that I need wait for the phone to cool off before using Google Maps. It really is despicable that BMW can't provide better hardware for their pricey vehicles. Rather than use the wireless charging pad, I've mostly been setting the phone on the passenger seat in between the main part of the seat and the hamstring support, with the 65 watt charger plugged in. I decided to give it another go mostly due to where the phone gets stored, which I find very handy, despite the subcar Wireless charging performance. I had the same issue with the s22 ultra. I think someone on here swapped out the charging coils, but unfortunately for me, I don't really feel like taking apart the center console. Like others have stated, in addition to the overheating there was also the issue of the charging speeds not being able to support Android auto.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:10 PM   #7
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I was thinking that can't be right about not being able to turn it off, so I did a menu dive, and yeah, I was wrong. lol
Appreciate 0