BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-05-2023, 11:07 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

How to clean your sunroof drains to prevent water leaks

First off my 2020 X5MC never had issues with leaks but I've seen enough threads about this to make me worried when is it going to happen to mine. If you search youtube this seems to be a common issue with all BMWs with sunroofs and my old E46 did as well.

Doesn't matter what model year you have or if you open your sunroof to not when it leaks, it leaks and you never want to deal with water issues in cars.

The cause of the leaks is that your front drain tubes gets clogged either entirely or just enough where water starts pooling in the sunroof cassette tray and overflows into your roof. By design water is allowed through the sunroof but there's a tray with drain tubes in the front and rear of the car to divert it to the ground.

I figured out a pretty simple way to clean out your front drain tubes without the need to remove or damage anything. It seems to work because I managed to get a ton of black dust/dirt out of the drain tubes during this process and I almost NEVER open my sunroof.

The only tool you need is a decent portable tire inflator type pump with a ball inflator attachment. The pressure of mine was enough to blow out dirt but not to the point it would rupture the line or blow off a connection point behind the interior. I DO NOT recommend using a super strong shop air compressor for this.

Step 1 - Locate the drain tube ends on behind the two front doors. If you put your finger on it you can feel there is a slit and you can stick your finger inside. This is where the water drains from the front of your sunroof down to exit the car.

Step2 - Use your pump and insert it in there while moving it around slightly. while moving it around I started to see some of gunk get blown out of the opening. Don't go nuts just incase you puncture the inner tube then you'll have a bad day taking the interior apart.

Step 3 - Open your sunroof all the way and look for the drain hole towards the front of the car. There is one on each side. I couldn't get a clear pic of it but if you put your finger there you can feel it. I was able to get my tire pump hose to the hole and let it blow air down the tube for 30-60 secs. You should feel air coming out of the lower opening that you just cleaned.

Step 4 - Repeat step 2. The reason is to remove anything that could have been pushed down from the prior step.

Repeat on both sides.

I was actually shocked how much gunk came out of my car considering I never open my sunroof. I guess this is 3 years worth of crap that was building up in there and it will eventually slow the water down enough where it will pool up top and leak.

I highly recommend doing this as a preventative measure if your car is at least a year or two old. Especially if it's parked outside a lot.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 10-06-2023 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 12
slilley45.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
1Boxer34.50
Sleeper659.50
Wtfitzvi794.50
ajob456.00
mobilejo1114.50
kgelfen3602215.50
X6ix GTA142.00
AwesomeM31644.00
      10-06-2023, 12:32 AM   #2
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Thank you!

BMW should give us an option to omit the sunroof - I'd actually pay money to omit one in my car.
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4655.00
      10-06-2023, 06:46 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Excellent write up, Alan. Thank you.

After experiencing a leak for the first time last week, I'll take some time to clean those drains this weekend.
      10-06-2023, 09:04 AM   #4
johnnyredgtr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC

Thank you. Nice write up.
      10-06-2023, 07:01 PM   #5
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Thank you!

BMW should give us an option to omit the sunroof - I'd actually pay money to omit one in my car.
I would also gladly pay them to delete any type of sunroof. I don't even open the shade.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Curious to know if you guys tried it and how much gunk actually came out. Let us know. I'm wondering dealers that ends up changing out the whole sunroof for leaks is warranted or if they are just doing it for $$$ either from the customer or through BMW warranty.
      12-05-2023, 06:34 AM   #7
dayan80584
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi

Keeping the sunroof drains in your car clean is essential to prevent water leaks and damage to the interior. Here's a simple guide on how to do it:

Gather your supplies:
  • Stiff wire or cable tie (nothing to sharp that might puncture the drain)
  • Bucket
  • Warm, soapy water
  • Flashlight

Locate the drains:

Consult your car's owner's manual for the specific location of the sunroof drains. They're usually situated near the sunroof's corners or along the side panels.

Clear the debris:

Insert the stiff wire or cable tie into the drain hole and gently push it forward and backward to loosen any clog-causing debris. Be careful not to push too hard or you might damage the drain tube.

Flush the drains:

Pour warm, soapy water into the sunroof trough and watch it drain out. The water should flow freely and not back up. If it's backing up, repeat the previous step to clear the clog.

Inspect the drain tubes:

If the water still isn't draining properly, you might need to inspect the drain tubes themselves. They might be disconnected or bent, restricting the water flow.

Repeat regularly:

It's recommended to clean your watertechguide sunroof drains at least once a year, or more often if you live in an area with heavy rain or snowfall.

Last edited by dayan80584; 12-10-2023 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 07:55 AM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayan80584 View Post

Insert the stiff wire or cable tie into the drain hole and gently push it forward and backward to loosen any clog-causing debris. Be careful not to push too hard or you might damage the drain tube.
I originally tried this first but the wire didn't go very far before it stopped. I suspect there must be a connection point or turn in the hose that stopped it from going any further. Last thing i wanted was to force it and pop it off or tear it behind the headliner.
      12-05-2023, 03:43 PM   #9
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
First off my 2020 X5MC never had issues with leaks but I've seen enough threads about this to make me worried when is it going to happen to mine. If you search youtube this seems to be a common issue with all BMWs with sunroofs and my old E46 did as well.

Doesn't matter what model year you have or if you open your sunroof to not when it leaks, it leaks and you never want to deal with water issues in cars.

The cause of the leaks is that your front drain tubes gets clogged either entirely or just enough where water starts pooling in the sunroof cassette tray and overflows into your roof. By design water is allowed through the sunroof but there's a tray with drain tubes in the front and rear of the car to divert it to the ground.

I figured out a pretty simple way to clean out your front drain tubes without the need to remove or damage anything. It seems to work because I managed to get a ton of black dust/dirt out of the drain tubes during this process and I almost NEVER open my sunroof.

The only tool you need is a decent portable tire inflator type pump with a ball inflator attachment. The pressure of mine was enough to blow out dirt but not to the point it would rupture the line or blow off a connection point behind the interior. I DO NOT recommend using a super strong shop air compressor for this.

Step 1 - Locate the drain tube ends on behind the two front doors. If you put your finger on it you can feel there is a slit and you can stick your finger inside. This is where the water drains from the front of your sunroof down to exit the car.

Step2 - Use your pump and insert it in there while moving it around slightly. while moving it around I started to see some of gunk get blown out of the opening. Don't go nuts just incase you puncture the inner tube then you'll have a bad day taking the interior apart.

Step 3 - Open your sunroof all the way and look for the drain hole towards the front of the car. There is one on each side. I couldn't get a clear pic of it but if you put your finger there you can feel it. I was able to get my tire pump hose to the hole and let it blow air down the tube for 30-60 secs. You should feel air coming out of the lower opening that you just cleaned.

Step 4 - Repeat step 2. The reason is to remove anything that could have been pushed down from the prior step.

Repeat on both sides.

I was actually shocked how much gunk came out of my car considering I never open my sunroof. I guess this is 3 years worth of crap that was building up in there and it will eventually slow the water down enough where it will pool up top and leak.

I highly recommend doing this as a preventative measure if your car is at least a year or two old. Especially if it's parked outside a lot.

Alan

Thanks for posting and reminding me I need to take care of this. I've had 3 BMWs -- all leaked, mostly my fault for not taking care of the drains.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:55 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

For those attempting this I figured out a slightly better way to get to those drain holes in the sunroof. I taped a straw to the end of the air compressor giving me more reach where I could bend/guide it to the holes easier. Worked like a charm.
      12-19-2023, 10:10 AM   #11
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
For those attempting this I figured out a slightly better way to get to those drain holes in the sunroof. I taped a straw to the end of the air compressor giving me more reach where I could bend/guide it to the holes easier. Worked like a charm.
Have u tried a can of compressed air with a straw ?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 03:15 PM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ I don't think there is enough pressure/volume to be as effective.
      02-20-2024, 01:25 PM   #13
furam28
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 x40i

Worked like a charm

This worked like a charm. I used the air pump and pushed air up from the bottom. Worked right away.

My 2019 x5 is under extended factory warranty. They would not cover it, not even the diagnostics. Even when it was under factory warranty and less than 50k miles. My service rep told me it was "environmental". WTF. He even suggested I should file an insurance claim; aka insurance fraud. This is clearly defect or flawed design, given hundreds of people complaining about it. If sunroof drain is something that needs to be serviced regularly, or cleared out, put it in the damn manual. Make it a routine maintenance. I had water dripping down my driver side microphone a couple times at the car wash. Hopefully, it didn't cause any damage inside. I made sure to leave the windows slightly open those days and fully dried out the car.

After clearing out the drains, I took it back to the car wash today. No leak. I opened the sunroof. There was no water pooled there. I could see water drip trail at the drain exit at the door hinge, meaning it all drained out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 03:46 PM   #14
R///MG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC Frozen Pure Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Thank you!

I'd only omit it if they offered a carbon fiber roof as an alternative and the inner roof liner being all alcantara with lighting. The skylounge is nice at night though and that's about all I use.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:52 PM   #15
2heeldrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0, 2022 330ix

Thanks for putting that together, I'm going to clean mine out ASAP. Are there drains in the back of the sunroof that need to be cleaned out too?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:39 PM   #16
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2heeldrive View Post
Thanks for putting that together, I'm going to clean mine out ASAP. Are there drains in the back of the sunroof that need to be cleaned out too?
There are rear sunroof drains. Though the exit port for them is hidden behind the rear wheel inner liner and at the sunroof level, I don't believe the drain hole can be seen without the rear section of the sunroof first being removed.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 02:57 PM   #17
Thomas Wertimer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

BMW Sunroofs have a Chronic Leaking Flaw

The X3 (among other Models) has a leak problem that comes from a clogging drain, or dried seals that are located under the 4 corners of the sunroof opening. There is no real way for a “do it yourself fix”, and the problem will develop overtime. The dealership and BMW service apparatus DO NOT ADDRESS THIS CRONIC FAIL. The access to the failing drain line is difficult to get to and hard to service.

This should be a system wide recall as “in 2017, BMW agreed to a $478 million settlement covering 2004-2010 BMW 5 series vehicles over allegations that clogged sunroof drainage tubes could cause damage to electrical components in the spare tire well of the trunk”. BMW should have stepped up to this design flaw that directs unchecked amount of water into the base of the car until it effects the electrical systems of the car.

Our car seized and died while in traffic, a very dangerous situation. The fix was $12,000 and all the while (and to date) BMW said nothing about this common problem with the car. It seems the dealerships and service teams know BMW'S LEAK, but no leadership seems to be in place to protect the brands reputation.

BMW North America call it "and outside influence" and my dealer told me to BUY A COVER for the car as the best way to fix the problem.

BMW was happy to mislead the insurance adjuster to cover this not directly bring attention to the drain system, fraud in my opinion give what they seem to know and have little concern that the problem costs their loyal customer TIME & MONEY!
Appreciate 0