BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-24-2023, 05:08 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Mail Forwarding like it's 1999

So since we go back and forth from NC to FL I will have the mail forwarded to either location. I have found this to be an infuriating, horrific, outdated, pos process.

They let you setup the forwarding online, but you HAVE to set an end date, even if I don't know exactly when we will return. Then half the time they claim they need to "verify" my identity so I'm forced to go to the post office and show them my ID. Then when I try to change the forwarding to go the other way it just doesn't happen half the time and I don't get the mail at the proper house.

Honestly with all the snow birds in FL I don't understand why this is soo fucking difficult. Have one fucking button, forward on, forward off, that's it!

Anyone have any experience with this and know a better way or maybe some trick I'm missing?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 05:11 PM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Only solution I am aware of is to get all important mail delivered electronically and skip USPS.
Esteban43766.00
      10-24-2023, 05:14 PM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Only solution I am aware of is to get all important mail delivered electronically and skip USPS.
I do get most things electronically, but there are still some things that get sent by mail. Like my HOA, the IRS, old clients that insist on mailing me a fucking check via pony express...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 05:29 PM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I use the usps app on my iPad. Their website is better. I signed up for the service that tells me what is being delivered daily and what packages are “coming soon”. Large mailbox and mostly junk mail so I don’t have mail held when gone a couple of days.

Nice thing about that service is for the bills that can’t be sent electronically, most have web pages where i can view the bill. Local water bill is an example. So once i see the usps notification i can use my bank’s app to pay it.

We just got home from a two week trip. Had the mail held using the web site but set the return/deliver date too far out. Was pretty easy to change that once we knew our return.

I’ve only used forwarding when we moved so don’t have the OP’s issue.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2023, 05:43 PM   #5
nawfoo
Rep
Drives: Integra

Rich people problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 06:21 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I’ve been pretty successful managing forwarding using the website. You could set your end date a little earlier than you expect and then extend it. If I remember correctly there is a limit to how many times you can extend the end of the forwarding date. You should absolutely signup for Informed Delivery and get a daily email with actual scans of the envelopes that are coming.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-24-2023, 07:02 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have Informed Delivery too but it doesn’t actually capture every piece of mail. There are sometimes things that arrive that were not pictured. Better than nothing but not perfect.
2000cs3502.50
      10-24-2023, 07:05 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I do get most things electronically, but there are still some things that get sent by mail. Like my HOA, the IRS, old clients that insist on mailing me a fucking check via pony express...
Isn’t HOA just a fixed payment?

I just got my last client off checks and onto ACH, so I get that. IRS too I guess but I rarely ever get anything from them (thankfully).

Any family or friends who might be willing to check the mail and forward on anything important? (A big ask.)
      10-24-2023, 08:10 PM   #9
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Sell the Florida house.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
mc-m3214.50
      10-24-2023, 08:13 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I use the usps app on my iPad. Their website is better. I signed up for the service that tells me what is being delivered daily and what packages are “coming soon”. Large mailbox and mostly junk mail so I don’t have mail held when gone a couple of days.

Nice thing about that service is for the bills that can’t be sent electronically, most have web pages where i can view the bill. Local water bill is an example. So once i see the usps notification i can use my bank’s app to pay it.

We just got home from a two week trip. Had the mail held using the web site but set the return/deliver date too far out. Was pretty easy to change that once we knew our return.

I’ve only used forwarding when we moved so don’t have the OP’s issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I’ve been pretty successful managing forwarding using the website. You could set your end date a little earlier than you expect and then extend it. If I remember correctly there is a limit to how many times you can extend the end of the forwarding date. You should absolutely signup for Informed Delivery and get a daily email with actual scans of the envelopes that are coming.
I do have informed delivery, but all that does is show me all the mail I'm not getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Isn’t HOA just a fixed payment?

I just got my last client off checks and onto ACH, so I get that. IRS too I guess but I rarely ever get anything from them (thankfully).

Any family or friends who might be willing to check the mail and forward on anything important? (A big ask.)
It's not the HOA payment I have that sent automatically, but violations and stuff like that. The main thing is checks, unfortunately one of my biggest client refuses to send my money any other way and it's enough money to put up with their prehistoric practices.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      10-24-2023, 08:15 PM   #11
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Sell the Florida house.
If it wasn't for all our family being in FL... and their refusal to move... we would probably live in NC full time or at least most of the time.
Appreciate 0