BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2021, 05:44 AM   #309
nunp
Private
Rep
Drives: RR Velar, Audi S5

Yep I did the same and cancelled my order. What shocked me the most was there was only a £300 reduction in the price if the Technology pack by omitting HK. I seem to recall HK was at least £850 in some cars. BMW are doing themselves no favours and this it seems is the approach they are taking across their whole range. I suggest you check the BMW stock finder, granted there were no 45e but plenty of 30 and 40ds and most will come with air suspension and HK with tech pack. I’ve managed to source a 40d with everything I wanted.
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      05-25-2021, 05:53 AM   #310
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dMSXD View Post
The factory options HK, Air Suspension are all available be it in lower numbers, however, BMW are prioritising those options for the customers who spend the most money on their X5
not necessarily the case for air suspension, which is prioritized for the 45e which requires it. yet, i understand your point since air suspension has been offered in other variants if the customer also agrees to the additional cost of 3rd row seating.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:12 AM   #311
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
not necessarily the case for air suspension, which is prioritized for the 45e which requires it. yet, i understand your point since air suspension has been offered in other variants if the customer also agrees to the additional cost of 3rd row seating.
I did specify third row seating to get AS!

BMW CEO, Oliver Zipse confirmed that "he did not expect the shortage to have a major impact on production and the company would respond by prioritising production of cars with higher profit margins."
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:25 AM   #312
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did specify third row seating to get AS!

BMW CEO, Oliver Zipse confirmed that "he did not expect the shortage to have a major impact on production and the company would respond by prioritising production of cars with higher profit margins."
"that's where the money's at!"
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 06:27 AM   #313
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
Just got the call, HK not going to be in my car.

Cancelling as is a liberty to say their shortage means I need to pay an extra £3250 (~$5K) for the B&W without even offering to discount it or anything

Edit: And they've just informed me that adding B&W will delay the build and likely push it to come without air suspension....
I had the same disappointing experience. Essentially requesting an additional £5,500 to build my X5. Interestingly, HK has been removed from the Tech Pack with a credit of approximately £350.00 when as a stand alone option on other BMW models it is nearly £700.00! It is no wonder BMW expect to exceed profit forcasts for 2021 given that every car sold, the owner has had to spend more money!

It is morally abhorrent that BMW are shuffling around customer orders on the basis of profit not time of order.

The factory options HK, Air Suspension are all available be it in lower numbers, however, BMW are prioritising those options for the customers who spend the most money on their X5

It says all you need to know about the contempt BMW have for their loyal and 'valuable' customers.
Yeah. I got a lot of grief here when I had said BMW was prioritizing profits. Which I don't think is a bad thing for the company. But many of their decisions while tied to the chip shortage is also aimed to improve profitability.

However, in the US, the cost of options on the X5 is still more competitive than the other Germans. BMW is also relying on the loyalty of their customers and the fact that the X5 is still a great value compared to their competition - both of which is also true. My 2 cents worth.

The B&W audio is well worth the $3,500 in the US. Other systems of the same caliber is $1,500 or more expensive from what I have seen.
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      05-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #314
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
"that's where the money's at!"
Remember what happened to JLR two years ago? Highest sales and profitability in their history.

Last week JLR anounced £1 Billion losses!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:06 AM   #315
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Remember what happened to JLR two years ago? Highest sales and profitability in their history.

Last week JLR anounced £1 Billion losses!
BMW is going down the wrong path. they will lose us.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #316
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

Quote:
Was the dealer that has suggested that by moving my 45e to have B&W it would be delayed and may well have Air Suspension removed despite it being a Hybrid
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #317
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Was the dealer that has suggested that by moving my 45e to have B&W it would be delayed and may well have Air Suspension removed despite it being a Hybrid
Your dealer is incorrect. It is not possible to build the 45e without the air suspension since it requires it due to the batteries/design.
      05-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #318
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

I have the HK in my x3 30e and tbh I find the sound quality is really pretty shitty for the price. Its so unimpressive that I'm actually comfortable going the hifi route and then adding Bavsound myself. The only irritating thing is that the HK has more speakers and a bigger amp to match.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #319
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post
I have the HK in my x3 30e and tbh I find the sound quality is really pretty shitty for the price. Its so unimpressive that I'm actually comfortable going the hifi route and then adding Bavsound myself. The only irritating thing is that the HK has more speakers and a bigger amp to match.
I totally agree that HK isn't anything spectacular, but it's the amp that gives the audio richness and volume.

The Hifi lacks this as well as the ability to easily plug 'n play an aftermarket amp, and that's a real bummer is this day and age of BMW taketh away.

Bavsound is certainly an upgrade, but without an amp, I can't see how volume will improve, and those who've done this upgrade have commented on the same. (That said, Bavsound > My Fisher Price speakers that come with BMW Hifi.)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #320
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunp View Post
Yep I did the same and cancelled my order. What shocked me the most was there was only a £300 reduction in the price if the Technology pack by omitting HK. I seem to recall HK was at least £850 in some cars. BMW are doing themselves no favours and this it seems is the approach they are taking across their whole range. I suggest you check the BMW stock finder, granted there were no 45e but plenty of 30 and 40ds and most will come with air suspension and HK with tech pack. I've managed to source a 40d with everything I wanted.
Sounds like a good outcome in the end, did you still manage to get a decent discount on a stock car?

I've continued with my order and it's now in build, in the end I knew the air suspension was no longer available at time of order and I'm pleased to be getting the pan roof and B&W, even though initially I had decided for budgetary reasons not to spec them. I'm probably one of those falling into the camp that BMW have been able to get more money out of!!
      05-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #321
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
those who've done this upgrade have commented on the same.
I'm desperate to read about these people's experiences, you recall where you got this info from?

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #322
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
I'm desperate to read about these people's experiences, you recall where you got this info from?
I just did a "Bavsound" search for the entire forum and a few threads came up.

There's also the audio/electronics sub-forum for G05 which might have some gems.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:51 AM   #323
Ebomb808
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Bavsound does not have an amplifier upgrade for the G05 yet. Until they do, it's a severe limitation on the ability to upgrade sound as speaker upgrades without additional power has a ceiling.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #324
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

You may also be able to find a G05 HK amp off ebay or something if all you want is more power. I believe its fairly easy to swap -- I think its accessible via a panel in the trunk and is fixed with a few bolts or screws.

Edit: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...n+g05&_sacat=0

Also, disclaimer: I have no idea if this works.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #325
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You may also be able to find a G05 HK amp off ebay or something if all you want is more power. I believe its fairly easy to swap -- I think its accessible via a panel in the trunk and is fixed with a few bolts or screws.

Edit: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...n+g05&_sacat=0

I've done pretty extensive research on this and I don't think the HK amp just "swaps" out.

It's a completely different wire harness from what I've gathered, and it makes sense since HK has 6 additional speakers/tweeters over the Hifi.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #326
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Over the past few weeks I have compared the HK in my wife's X7 and the bavsound upgrade in my X5 X line. One big difference, likely due to the amp, is that the volume in the X7 with HK is MUCH higher, and overall sound quality is much better as well. Not sure what the bavsound speakers would sound like if I replaced the HK speakers with them though. I also think the ability to alter the equalizer in the HK setup is essential in getting it to sound good. Unfortunately even if you upgrade to the bavsound speakers from the base HiFi, you don't get this option, correct? At least my X5 doesn't have it
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #327
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

Quote:
Just got the call, HK not going to be in my car.

Cancelling as is a liberty to say their shortage means I need to pay an extra £3250 (~$5K) for the B&W without even offering to discount it or anything

Edit: And they've just informed me that adding B&W will delay the build and likely push it to come without air suspension....
And then I get an email saying it has gone into production
confirmed though without HK so I hope that they find someone who wants it, fully loaded with the base HiFi
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #328
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
Over the past few weeks I have compared the HK in my wife's X7 and the bavsound upgrade in my X5 X line. One big difference, likely due to the amp, is that the volume in the X7 with HK is MUCH higher, and overall sound quality is much better as well. Not sure what the bavsound speakers would sound like if I replaced the HK speakers with them though. I also think the ability to alter the equalizer in the HK setup is essential in getting it to sound good. Unfortunately even if you upgrade to the bavsound speakers from the base HiFi, you don't get this option, correct? At least my X5 doesn't have it
Yes, the amp makes a difference as well as the DSP. Plus, Bavsound isn't in the same league as say Focal. If you want to improve on the HK you'll need a proper amp as well as speakers like Focal. I don't think the base amp can even power the Focal Inside speakers.

But Bavsound, unlike the Focals will at least work with the base amp. Focals would get B&W level but also cost you close to B&W money…

I like the difference Focal speakers did to my HK set up.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #329
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Edit: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...5&_sacat=0

You can swap the HK to B&W since the amps are the same with different power ratings, but not base to HK if I am not mistaken since they are completely different amps.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #330
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
Unfortunately even if you upgrade to the bavsound speakers from the base HiFi, you don't get this option, correct? At least my X5 doesn't have it
I believe there is a way to have the equalizer coded -- pretty sure I recall reading that in a thread during my research project (I just don't remember where).
Appreciate 0