BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Navigate to Favorite destination

Had previously discovered the update to 07/2020.80 replaced the Recent Destinations and Favorites folders in the NAV menu with the My Destinations folder.

Have now come to realize that the capability to use a voice command to directly select navigation to a favorite (e.g. "Navigate to John Doe" - John Doe being the 'name' specified for an established Favorite) now does not work. Trying to do so results in the first item in My Destinations being selected instead.

Making matters even more inconvenient, where your Favorites were stored in a separate folder, to find them now you must search through all of the entries in My Destinations, which also include recent destinations (so in my case, that is trying to find one of ~6 favorites in a list of 36).

I called BMW Genius today to ask how does one now directly navigate to a favorite using voice commands. The genius mentioned that there had been a number of inquiries about this and that they didn't have themselves documentation on the new menu structure (to which I also commented that if BMW is going change the interface they have an obligation to provide appropriately revised instructions to their customers). The genius suggested using the 'Help' voice command while in NAV to have the available commands displayed. One of them is "navigate to John Doe", even though this does not now work.

The genius was going to submit an inquiry for me. I asked him to instead submit a complaint. With this update, BMW has taken a capability that allows one to safely use the navigation features and replaced it with one that now requires the distraction of having to search through the interface, decreasing the safety of using the system.

I'm curious if anyone else has come across a work around to this issue or obtained any helpful information from BMW on this subject.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Thank you for taking the initiative. Here are other options to reach them:

ShareYourThoughts@bmwusa.com

1-866-833-4362
      02-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

Update to navigate to favorite

Experimenting I've found a work around that doesn't solve the issue, but at least mitigates the problem.

A voice command of "display favorite destinations" will result in your favorites list to be displayed. Once displayed, iDrive will successfully respond to a voice command of the type "navigate to john doe" (or whatever the displayed 'name' is in the list).

Inconsistently, iDrive will not display the list to the command "display favorites", only to "display favorite destinations". This may seem like a minor point, but it illustrates the reckless way in which changes have been made by BMW. The iDrive manual refers to this list as "Favorites", not "favorite destinations". Logically one would refer to the manual's label for this list in trying to access it, but that doesn't work now, and is an example of the problems created by BMW changing the interface without making corresponding revisions to the documentation.

Of course it still remains a mystery, and IMO a mistake, to have collapsed the separate "Favorites" and "Recent Destinations" lists into "My Destinations". The whole point of the previous arrangement was to facilitate accessing specifically designated destinations. Now favorites are mingled in with a constantly changing and relatively large list of recent destinations and, it should be noted, one cannot, as far as I can tell, filter My Destinations to see just Favorites using the controller, buttons or touch screen - only a voice command will do.

And one cannot use a single voice command, but must now use two voice commands ("display favorite destinations" and then "navigate to john doe").

Why in the world BMW would take something that worked successfully and compromise it is certainly a mystery to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
funny how this "problem" never existed for me as my iStep version was 11/2020.38 since taking delivery a couple months ago. that old version to Favorites sounds way more intuitive and quick.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep

nZtiZia, I'm curious how the iDrive manual provided to you describes Favorites.

In the iDrive menu provided to me (June '19 delivery), Recent Destination and Favorites are described as separate areas under Destination Input, the Recent on page 11 and Favorites on page 14.

I'm wondering if BMW provided you an iDrive manual that, instead, described My Destinations since, as previously posted, BMW Genius stated they have no documentation on the current menu arrangement.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
nZtiZia, I'm curious how the iDrive manual provided to you describes Favorites.

In the iDrive menu provided to me (June '19 delivery), Recent Destination and Favorites are described as separate areas under Destination Input, the Recent on page 11 and Favorites on page 14.

I'm wondering if BMW provided you an iDrive manual that, instead, described My Destinations since, as previously posted, BMW Genius stated they have no documentation on the current menu arrangement.
my manual shows Recents on page 10, Favorites on page 13. i will have to look further into iDrive (both through controls and voice commands) and see how they are displayed and accessed, but my car is currently with the detailer for the next couple weeks.
Appreciate 0