Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 330i is now on BMWusa.com - Confirms Remote Start!

10-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Wonder if the larger screen will be standard or again BMW will force you to buy NAV to avoid that tiny screen with cheap plastic sides
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #24
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Ventilated seats would be cool
No pun intended?

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #25
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Wonder if the larger screen will be standard or again BMW will force you to buy NAV to avoid that tiny screen with cheap plastic sides
Not sure about plastic sides, but the base screen is not the large screen. It is smaller by a few inches.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 06:12 AM   #26
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Ventilated Seats are in BMWs portfolio now, can't imagine they would not offer them
Ventilated seats are not available on the German G20 configurator and that market has all the options, including things like a leather dash, that are not available in any other market.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 06:14 AM   #27
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Most likely that will be the case. The good news is that the 8" screen will now be the standard one (it used to be the upgraded screen) and the 10.25" screen will be the optional, larger one.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #28
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Glacier silver metallic discontinued ???
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #29
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galex999 View Post
I really don't see the benefit of remote start. I mean, why would you want to start your car before even get in?! To warm it up in cold days? Or save few seconds to get out of parking spot? Even my damn smartphone often does "pocket dialing" to randomly calling out by itself...mostly to emergency 911...which drives me crazy. Now I have worry about "pocket" starting my car?!!! What if the engine is on accidentally all night long (even days if you're away on vacation) inside of closed garage? It can potentially fill your entire house with CO2 or even burn it down! As an engineer, I know that no technology is perfect and it can malfunction, and this remote start thing can kill someone. Is the benefit surpasses the risk? I don't think so. This is a perfect example of Why-Tech instead of being a really useful Hi-Tech.
Spoken like someone who lives in temperate climates year round. A real life Goldie Locks, not too hot or not too cold. Must be nice.

First off, this technology isn't new. Remote starters have been in cars for decades now. Most have timers where the car turns off after "x" amount of time if not driven. So I highly doubt your going to burn an entire tank of gas or fill your house up with enough CO2 to kill you.

Second, until you live where others do, please don't comment on the usefulness of remote starters.

Today where I live the lows are -4'C and it's only the beginning of October. In Dec/Jan/Feb it's routinely in the -30'C and even goes below -40'C on occasion. I bet if you had to spend 1 day scraping ice of your windshield in a snowstorm and freezing your a$$ in a car that takes 15min of running to even start to blow warm air, you'd change your tune pretty fast.

If you don't want it, don't option it or use it. For the rest of the world that actually lives where the temperature changes this is a MASSIVE feature I'm excited for. I almost left BMW several times for specifically NOT having this feature, but that 6-MT keeps dragging me back to them.....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #30
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Quote:
Ventilated Seats are in BMWs portfolio now, can't imagine they would not offer them
Ventilated seats are not available on the German G20 configurator and that market has all the options, including things like a leather dash, that are not available in any other market.
Definitely a disappointment if it holds true
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Quote:
I've seen leather dashes here but not on 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #32
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Spoken like a true moderate climate resident!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
Spoken like someone who lives in temperate climates year round.
@Rxpert: agree with everything you said and particularly like your opening statement!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #33
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: not sure..

Quote:
Spoken like someone who lives in temperate climates year round. A real life Goldie Locks, not too hot or not too cold. Must be nice.

First off, this technology isn't new. Remote starters have been in cars for decades now. Most have timers where the car turns off after "x" amount of time if not driven. So I highly doubt your going to burn an entire tank of gas or fill your house up with enough CO2 to kill you.

Second, until you live where others do, please don't comment on the usefulness of remote starters.

Today where I live the lows are -4'C and it's only the beginning of October. In Dec/Jan/Feb it's routinely in the -30'C and even goes below -40'C on occasion. I bet if you had to spend 1 day scraping ice of your windshield in a snowstorm and freezing your a$$ in a car that takes 15min of running to even start to blow warm air, you'd change your tune pretty fast.

If you don't want it, don't option it or use it. For the rest of the world that actually lives where the temperature changes this is a MASSIVE feature I'm excited for. I almost left BMW several times for specifically NOT having this feature, but that 6-MT keeps dragging me back to them.....
I had remote start on my '90 Toyota Camry it is an amazingly wonderful thing, but I thought our winters were cold here in Ny/Ct.. where in Antarctica do you live
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #34
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Quote:
That power trunk would be awesome too
Power trunk is there on the G20.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #35
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerlover13 View Post
Quote:

I had remote start on my '90 Toyota Camry it is an amazingly wonderful thing, but I thought our winters were cold here in Ny/Ct.. where in Antarctica do you live
I live in Central Canada >700km North of Minneapolis.

No warm coastal breezes, no warm mountain chinooks, no warmth from the Great Lakes like the rest of the country.

Just.....barren.....cold.....& darkness....

I realize I'm probably on the opposite spectrum of most BMW owners :
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #36
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

No warm coastal breezes, no warm mountain chinooks, no warmth from the Great Lakes like the rest of the country.

Well I'll be lol.. so similar to Alaska then lol.. I hope they offer the laser lights in Canada.. so I assume you have x drive then?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #37
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well I'll be lol.. so similar to Alaska then lol.. I hope they offer the laser lights in Canada.. so I assume you have x drive then?
Gulp.....

My past 2 leased cars were xDrive & absolutely amazing in the winter, but this past May I took delivery of a 6-speed manual F80 M3 soooooo......

This will be my first winter with a rear wheel drive car ever. I've invested in new winter tires & plan to put carry ~100lbs in the trunk at all times in the form of de-icing salt (both for weight & in case I get stuck on ice I can just open up a bag and start pouring it all around the tires).
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #38
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Gulp.....

My past 2 leased cars were xDrive & absolutely amazing in the winter, but this past May I took delivery of a 6-speed manual F80 M3 soooooo......

This will be my first winter with a rear wheel drive car ever. I've invested in new winter tires & plan to put carry ~100lbs in the trunk at all times in the form of de-icing salt (both for weight & in case I get stuck on ice I can just open up a bag and start pouring it all around the tires).
Michigan isn't all that different from much of Canada in the winter. I've done rear wheel drive/6MT very successfully for many years. As long as your winter tires are up to it....for example, studless category, not "performance" winter...you may be surprised how well you do. Tires such as Michelin XIce xi3 (not PA4) and Blizzak WS80 (not LM) have excellent capability.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Rxpert186.50
      10-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #39
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gulp.....

2 of my 3 BMW's have been rear wheel drive, I like how it drives and I'm also a traditionalist.. I actually never put snows on but kept weight in my Trunk.. that didn't do much hahahha.. I'm in CT, 5 mins from the NY border and we def get good snowfall here.. I also moved across town two years ago and have nothing but hills around me ughhh.. I have a baby now also, so to me the 2k extra for xdrive instead of buying tires and rims, then having to try and get all four over to the tire place is well worth my sanity and safety if I have to take my daughter out in the winter. Granted not during a storm, but I've been caught at work before while it started snowing and was nervous about getting home.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have a baby now also, so to me the 2k extra for xdrive instead of buying tires and rims, then having to try and get all four over to the tire place is well worth my sanity and safety if I have to take my daughter out in the winter.
xDrive helps get you moving, which is a helpful convenience. Winter tires help with the more critical stop/steer, which can save you from a crash. If you are motivated by safety, suggest you still acquire the winter tires before something unexpected happens requiring traction (a function of tires, not of the drivetrain). xDrive will have no effect on trying to stop/steer around another vehicle which loses control in your path. Some of the local installers tirerack.com uses across the country will store your off-season set, so the logistics are as easy as possible.
Appreciate 1
Rxpert186.50
      10-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #41
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
xDrive helps get you moving, which is a helpful convenience. Winter tires help with the more critical stop/steer, which can save you from a crash. If you are motivated by safety, suggest you still acquire the winter tires before something unexpected happens requiring traction (a function of tires, not of the drivetrain). xDrive will have no effect on trying to stop/steer around another vehicle which loses control in your path. Some of the local installers tirerack.com uses across the country will store your off-season set, so the logistics are as easy as possible.
My e90 was x drive and it was terrible, I remember getting stuck one day too.. maybe I'll look into the tire rack thing, I didn't know that they did the tire store thing.. so you think I'd be good if I did rear wheel but swap tires?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #42
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
My e90 was x drive and it was terrible, I remember getting stuck one day too.. maybe I'll look into the tire rack thing, I didn't know that they did the tire store thing.. so you think I'd be good if I did rear wheel but swap tires?
I've done many, many Michigan winters with exactly that set-up. I value stopping and turning over moving (although that's very useful, too!) during the winter months. My priorities are: 1) Protect safety, 2) protect property, 3) move forward. The E90 probably had poor traction tires. Remember, all xDrive does is spin two more tires...if the traction at the tire contact patch is poor (as in all-season, etc.), what you have done is (Poor x 4) replacing (Poor x 2)...some more forward motion possibly, but that's it. No help with brake/turn for an avoidance.

As for tires, tirerack.com and others have good test and user data. I've been most favorably impressed by Michelin XIcexi3 and also Blizzak WS80, but there are others in the studless category to consider as well. Don't be lured by "performance winter"...gives up about a half-step of capability.
Appreciate 1
Rxpert186.50
      10-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #43
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've done many, many Michigan winters with exactly that set-up. I value stopping and turning over moving (although that's very useful, too!) during the winter months. My priorities are: 1) Protect safety, 2) protect property, 3) move forward. The E90 probably had poor traction tires. Remember, all xDrive does is spin two more tires...if the traction at the tire contact patch is poor (as in all-season, etc.), what you have done is (Poor x 4) replacing (Poor x 2)...some more forward motion possibly, but that's it. No help with brake/turn for an avoidance.

As for tires, tirerack.com and others have good test and user data. I've been most favorably impressed by Michelin XIcexi3 and also Blizzak WS80, but there are others in the studless category to consider as well. Don't be lured by "performance winter"...gives up about a half-step of capability.
Wow thanks for this info, esp being in Michigan, their winters are rough!! Tires really do 90% of the work, if you have good grip you'll a.) Move and b.) Have better control (taking ice out of the equation) I just went on tire rack and they did a tire/wheel package for my current car with pirelli's and it came to $1600.. this might be a good option.. I'm really gonna think about it esp if I decide on the m340i which I've been waiting for!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Wow thanks for this info, esp being in Michigan, their winters are rough!! Tires really do 90% of the work, if you have good grip you'll a.) Move and b.) Have better control (taking ice out of the equation) I just went on tire rack and they did a tire/wheel package for my current car with pirelli's and it came to $1600.. this might be a good option.. I'm really gonna think about it esp if I decide on the m340i which I've been waiting for!
JUST BE SURE....you are getting STUDLESS winter and not performance winter tires! Really like those XIcexi3!
Appreciate 0