03-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #23
roubaix
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
I agree on the 19's...only good for winter on the M550i, if even then.
I have heard of blow outs on the 20's but never meet anyone that actually had one but I would hate to deal with it.
I quickly spec'ed out one similar to my M50i build...was only less by 6k. So not that much of a difference.
Dynamic handling is a must or at least for me coming out of the X3M.
The M550i felt faster to me.
If you dont need or desire live cockpit and ID7, the X3M will be on huge discount in March and April. 11% discount and $5500 (if not more) discount for buy.

I am going to test the Dragy on an M50i tomorrow as I am attending a BMW'S launch of the new 2 series 4 door.

Also, the X5 M50i will have 2 additional interior options starting with April builds. At some point, they will allow M Sport seats like you can order on over seas spec'ed builds. That might be for 2021 MY

really interesting thread, as i have a 2018 m550i, and am looking at either the x5 m50i or x3mc next.

my m550i has the non-runflat 20's and i have experienced a blowout from a pothole. definitely was not pleasant at 60mph, in the dark, on a very cold night. however, i did have a donut spare which has come in handy many times with this car (3 flats in 2 years - 2 screws and 1 pothole), but it also made the trunk pretty much useless. i can't even fit 2 golf bags without putting the rear seats down, and even with 1, there is very little room for anything else. i have done a very rough measurement, and i believe having the spare means you will have 9 inches less depth. not sure if that's an option you were looking at, but something to keep in mind if you do.

in regards to ride height, it was lower than i expected. took me a few days to get used to, and i will scrape every so often if i'm not careful. there is at least one hill in san francisco where i drive through regularly and it will scrape and the collision warning thing will start beeping.

a bit sad to hear that the exhaust note in the m550i is louder/nicer than the x5 m50i. i think it's a bit too mild, so not that keen on getting something even quieter.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 12:00 AM   #24
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yep - I'll try both ways. I have a draggy. Been waiting until after break in period to do any test runs. Now that has come and gone, I just need to find a nice strip where I can turn her loose w/o fear of being nabbed by a cop.
Any dragy runs in the M50i yet?
No not yet. It's been raining for what seems like all year down here so haven't had a good day to try it
Have you been able to put some rubber down on a few launches yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #25
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
To be honest, I've forgotten all about it. I need to just keep the draggy in the car and when an opportunity arises, I should jump on it!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:56 PM   #26
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
To be honest, I've forgotten all about it. I need to just keep the draggy in the car and when an opportunity arises, I should jump on it!
Totally understandable. It's almost impossible to find real world numbers on the M50i. My M50i build has been sitting on the back lot of the dealership getting lot rot. Good news is I have been getting no traffic runs in on the X3M.

Stay healthy. [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #27
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Totally understandable. It's almost impossible to find real world numbers on the M50i. My M50i build has been sitting on the back lot of the dealership getting lot rot. Good news is I have been getting no traffic runs in on the X3M.

Stay healthy. [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
FINALLY was able to get a good draggy run in this afternoon. 0-60 in 4.26s but the 0-60 (1 ft) was 4.05. Not sure which numbers matter. I think I can get this lower but I effed up launch control b/c I forgot to shift the gear selector into sport. Gas tank was at 15%. Too much of a negative incline invalidated the results.

I'm keeping the draggy in the car now so I'm more aware of taking advantage of situations when they're there (ie wife's not in the car, no cops around, etc)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 02:40 AM   #28
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Did a casual 100-200, I feel it can be faster.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 05:48 AM   #29
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
We're car guys, we feel like any car we get into can/should be faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #30
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
That tune you are running is solid. Definitely creating more boost, or maintaining it at the higher speeds.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

This is a recent 100-200 run.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #31
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Only change was performance filters.
Attached Images