BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #1
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e28 M5, e34 540 M-Sport

static-hissing sound coming from speakers...

First day home with the new x5 45e. Drove about 50 miles yesterday and everything was perfect, very happy!

After charging overnight and entering the car this AM, I was greeted by a faint static-hissing-beeping sound coming from the speakers.

Nothing I try stops the sound. Audio on-off, volume control up-down, start-stop car, ICE on or off, adjust multiple idrive settings. Its a constant volume regardless of adjusting and setting I've tried so far.

Sounds are hard to describe, so I have uploaded a short clip here. You'll have to turn up volume to hear it.

Any ideas?

Obviously I will be back to the dealer if the sound persists, but wanted to see if I was missing anything obvious.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

update - rebooted iDrive and static noise went away when system was down, but came back as soon as it rebooted itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 11:03 PM   #3
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

What is the volume level and audio source? If vol is set very high, audio source is silent, it is possible to hear amplified noise. Let me test my tonigh.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

It could be a busted amp too
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
nordring
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I played around with it some more today, and found out the side speakers are not working at all, and that is were the static-buzzing noise is coming from.

Only the center channel and subs are working on my H-K system.

Just heard back from a BMW dealer tech friend who said it is probably a receiver audio module (RAM), or possibly an amp. The RAM was one of the constrained parts when you couldn't get the upgraded sound. So maybe a new vendor with QC problems? We will see.

So I enjoyed my new 45e for about 18 hours...and back to the dealer already!

Last edited by nordring; 10-02-2022 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
kgelfen360
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordring View Post
So I played around with it some more today, and found out the side speakers are not working at all, and that is were the static-buzzing noise is coming from.

Only the center channel and subs are working on my H-K system.

Just heard back from a BMW dealer tech friend who said it is probably a receiver audio module (RAM), or possibly and AMP. The RAM was one of the constrained construction parts then you couldn't get the upgraded soun. So maybe a new vendor with QC problems, we will see.

So I enjoyed my new 45e for about 18 hours...and back to the dealer already!
Wow sorry to hear man!! For sure very frustrating!! This definitely sounds like hardware noise and not software glitch. Plus given that car is brand new they need to fix this!!
Appreciate 0