Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

pics inside New X5M. My first impressions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
On October 20th I picked up my 120K computer on wheels. Ive had the X5M for little over a month. Couple of trips,…..the trip back from the performance center, 2 trips to Georgia & 1 to NC. 2,100 miles later, here are my observations. Keep in mind these comparisons are being made to my former white E70 which I owned for 8 years.
First off, the MBB color is amazing, beautiful, however, ive always had white cars so when I washed it without drying it, the water spots were awful. OMG is this what its like to own a color other than white? Next, I don’t like the wheels. I didn’t want a 21, 22 inch setup but I wanted the 11.5 inch width of the rear wheels so the 808M was my only choice. I will be changing wheels in the future. These Pirelli tires have to go. I think they contribute to the harsh ride and they seem noisier then the nittos I had on the E70. The exterior looks of the F-95 are ok, I especially like the front end better than the E70, however, the rear of the E70 was awesome and more attractive than the rear of the F95 in my opinion. The interior of the F-95 is clearly light years better than my old E70. The tech is amazing. The sound system is way better, I-drive 7 is awesome. Lets talk about the seats… The E70 had the multi contour seats and I liked those better than the F-95 seats. The F-95 seats are hard, especially the head rest & because these seats hold you in place, the bottom sides are snug against my hips and reminds me of sitting in an airplane seat. I do like the lit emblem in the headrest, it should turn on & off with the park lights. Lets talk about the moon roof. First off, why did BMW change the design? I loved the roof on the E70. It was huge, it opened inside the car and when open, it had a good looking wind deflector. It also had the dual vent where both glasses vented up. Totally awesome. The F-95’s roof is small and opens to the outside of the vehicle and the wind deflector looks like a mini volleyball net when deployed. So, BMW, what was wrong with the older style roof? This was 2 steps backwards in my opinion. If you want to spend money designing something, do something with the brake dust. The ambient lighting is stunning. Very nice touch to the interior. I like saying “Hey BMW”, can you change the ambient lighting to blue?” then watch the passengers aaahhh in amazement. The ride, no comparison. My former E70 with its active steering & adaptive drive was amazing, and rode much better than the F95. The F-95 handles better but you sacrifice a great deal of ride comfort. Ill take the ride of the E70 over the F95 any day. Speed and acceleration……. I haven’t done a full throttle yet on the F-95, I have however, hit the limiter 4 times already which is too low for me. Gps speed says 155 while the heads up display was reading 160. My former E70 had a stage 2 which dinan claimed was 540hp so it wasn’t a slouch and pulled hard. By the seat of my pants, it SEEMS LIKE the E70 is quicker and faster than the F95, but the jury is still out on that, time will tell. The tailgate……. The lower half is now power, ok, whatever, im not hating it. Soft close doors are improved. The exhaust sound is very nice, im loving that. I cant turn the headlights off while driving?? WTH. Seems like the speed has to be below 15mph to turn off the headlights. I though the gesture controls were going to be a joke, but once I learned how to correctly use them, they work great and I find myself using them all the time. Overall, this is an awesome computer, I mean car,……with more than needed technology. Lets see if all this is working 10 years from now.

Mods so far… 15mm spacers in front & 18mm in the rear. In my opinion 15mm is too much for the front, & 18 isn’t enough for the rear. I will be removing the front spacers when I find some 10mms. Replaced the chrome grill with the black one. BMW roundel on the wheels, the ones that don’t spin. Removed the M badge on the rear.
more to come......

Questions……..
1. Is it normal for the cooling fans to continue to run after the car is shut off just after a short 5 mile trip? the temp outside was 70degrees
2. If the transmission is in sequential mode, will it shift on its own when the engine reaches redline?
3. When my BMW connected subscription ends, how will I remote start my car?
4. Is there a way to manually trun on and off the X5M emblem on the front seats?
5. Do our M cars use this engine? S63B44T4. If not which engine does it use?
6. What is the stock max boost for the X5M engine. (non competition)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
cfm56d7b5852.00
dds007411.00
stein_325i25051.00
      11-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Perfection on wheels. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Very nice congrats!

Questions……..
1. Is it normal for the cooling fans to continue to run after the car is shut off just after a short 5 mile trip? the temp outside was 70degrees: YES, Turbo's are inside the V of the engine makes it very hot! I always leave my garage open for the duration of the cooling cycle too. (I live in AZ)

2. If the transmission is in sequential mode, will it shift on its own when the engine reaches redline? Mine does not it will bounce off the limiter. I think however if the transmission is set to a lower setting (instead of the three bars) it will.

3. When my BMW connected subscription ends, how will I remote start my car? Remote start has always worked for us.

4. Is there a way to manually trun on and off the X5M emblem on the front seats? Nope

5. Do our M cars use this engine? S63B44T4. If not which engine does it use? Yes the HOT VEE hence the cool down cycle at the end of your drive.

6. What is the stock max boost for the X5M engine. (non competition) Dunno, the gauge in mine is not exact it's a bar plus I have the Comp model, maybe someone can chime in on this one!!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
botis1028
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M & F10 M5

I always appreciate feedback of folks coming from an older model to new and there are definitely some things I agree with.

A few things to note, I actually think the seats in the F95 are far better and more comfortable than the F85 X5M. With the trend and advancement of sport seats of which your original X5 didn't have, there's definitely a difference. Kind of like comparing the last gen normal X5 comfort seats with the F85, so totally get that. That being said, for sport seats, they are awesome all around + massage function is a huge plus if you have exec package.

Agree with you on Pirellis, I'm hoping the F95 I am picking up next month PCD has the Michelin's. I have the PZero's on my F10 M5 and they are much louder after a few thousand miles than the MPSS ever were. I can't comment on ride quality as the ride is completely different on my F85 vs F10 I currently have. I have the MPSS on my F85 and haven't had any issues, ride quality/noise is fine with 21s.

For the wheels - I ordered mine with the darker competition wheels and really like the look especially when lowered (springs are the first and most likely one of few mods I'll do). The ones you got actually look awesome, I'm digging them with the spacers.

The cooling fans are loud/active post engine shutdown on my last 3 M cars, so I've never known any different. The turbos are pretty big/hot so I'm pretty accustomed to it now, don't even notice it.

I haven't heard/seen a post of anyone doing PCD during covid, how was the experience? I'll be in SC visiting family ironically during the time my car was going to be ready so I opted for PCD.

Great looking car, haven't seen too many MBB that don't have either black or Silverstone interior.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #5
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

I still have my E70, had a 2017 X6M, and currently have 2021 X6M.

I can't make a direct comparison to the E70, since its a regular 5.0 non M model, but vs the 2017 the 2021 is a much better drive - more power, better handling, much better response, and the transmission is a million times improved. The ride is substantially harsher on the new model, but never too harsh, so not a big concern.

However I liked the interior of the 2017 better, as well as control layout and the tech. The newest i-drive is a bloated, convoluted cluster pluck, and the digital gauges are ugly and completely out of character for a BMW. All the ambient lighting is pretty, but distracting, so I set it to orange and dim it down to a minimum.

I'm with you on the Pirellis. On the 2017 I replaced the Pirellis with Michelins, and it was an enormous improvement. I am yet to swap them on the new car.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Thanks for sharing!

I'm not F95 owner just yet, still in the process that might take some time but I just somewhat recently let go of my 13 E70 X5M and its really interesting to hear the comparison between these 2 platforms, I owned E70 X5M for 5 years and E70 35i for two years before that and they were great cars especially the M

I also looking at standard X5M no comp with the same wheels, minus the driver assistance package in MBB and Silverstone.

I had KW coilovers on my E70 and the ride was somewhat harsh, I can't imagine F95 being even more! Pirellis will def have to go, I guess its a 50/50 chance of getting them vs. Michelins

Good luck with your new ride and keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:16 AM   #7
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Very nice congrats!

Questions……..
1. Is it normal for the cooling fans to continue to run after the car is shut off just after a short 5 mile trip? the temp outside was 70degrees: YES, Turbo's are inside the V of the engine makes it very hot! I always leave my garage open for the duration of the cooling cycle too. (I live in AZ)

2. If the transmission is in sequential mode, will it shift on its own when the engine reaches redline? Mine does not it will bounce off the limiter. I think however if the transmission is set to a lower setting (instead of the three bars) it will.

3. When my BMW connected subscription ends, how will I remote start my car? Remote start has always worked for us.

4. Is there a way to manually trun on and off the X5M emblem on the front seats? Nope

5. Do our M cars use this engine? S63B44T4. If not which engine does it use? Yes the HOT VEE hence the cool down cycle at the end of your drive.

6. What is the stock max boost for the X5M engine. (non competition) Dunno, the gauge in mine is not exact it's a bar plus I have the Comp model, maybe someone can chime in on this one!!
Thanks Tenac, I was freaking out when the fans were still running after a short trip. Good to know its normal.

On question #2....... im glad i know this now. It must be M car specific because every other automatic I had shifted at red line. Good information.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #8
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by botis1028 View Post
I haven't heard/seen a post of anyone doing PCD during covid, how was the experience? I'll be in SC visiting family ironically during the time my car was going to be ready so I opted for PCD.

For the wheels - I ordered mine with the darker competition wheels and really like the look especially when lowered (springs are the first and most likely one of few mods I'll do). The ones you got actually look awesome, I'm digging them with the spacers.
Botis1028,
The experience was awesome. If you've done a PCD before, everything's the same except you wear masks and social distance in the classrooms and during lunch. No factory tour and the groups are smaller now. On my delivery day there were 7 of us. If you have a choice when it comes to the hot lap, chose Derrick, this guy is great at everything, also a good sense of humor.

Please keep me posted about which springs you decide on and update me with how the ride is compared to stock, this is something i may look into.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 06:14 AM   #9
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
I still have my E70, had a 2017 X6M, and currently have 2021 X6M.

I can't make a direct comparison to the E70, since its a regular 5.0 non M model, but vs the 2017 the 2021 is a much better drive - more power, better handling, much better response, and the transmission is a million times improved. The ride is substantially harsher on the new model, but never too harsh, so not a big concern.

However I liked the interior of the 2017 better, as well as control layout and the tech. The newest i-drive is a bloated, convoluted cluster pluck, and the digital gauges are ugly and completely out of character for a BMW. All the ambient lighting is pretty, but distracting, so I set it to orange and dim it down to a minimum.

I'm with you on the Pirellis. On the 2017 I replaced the Pirellis with Michelins, and it was an enormous improvement. I am yet to swap them on the new car.
I have to agree, the transmission is awesome. I totally agree with you on the gauges, the dash is just a computer screen with images. It would be nice to have some sort of raised static bezel on the dash like this X3.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #10
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
Thanks for sharing!

I'm not F95 owner just yet, still in the process that might take some time but I just somewhat recently let go of my 13 E70 X5M and its really interesting to hear the comparison between these 2 platforms, I owned E70 X5M for 5 years and E70 35i for two years before that and they were great cars especially the M

I also looking at standard X5M no comp with the same wheels, minus the driver assistance package in MBB and Silverstone.

I had KW coilovers on my E70 and the ride was somewhat harsh, I can't imagine F95 being even more! Pirellis will def have to go, I guess its a 50/50 chance of getting them vs. Michelins

Good luck with your new ride and keep us updated!
boneca,
If the surface your driving on is smooth, the ride of the F95 is good. if not, get ready for a harsh ride.
Why did you let go of your 13 X5M? I loved my E70 but I wanted the newer technology and especially the drivers assistance package which is awesome in traffic. MBB & Silverstone is a good combination. Are you getting the high gloss silver trim? I think these 2 look good together, also, I'm not a fan of carbon fiber that's why I ordered 4WW.
Attached Images

Last edited by Turbobusa; 11-29-2020 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
boneca1989.00
      11-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #11
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobusa View Post
boneca,
If the surface your driving on is smooth, the ride of the F95 is good. if not, get ready for a harsh ride.
Why did you let go of your 13 X5M? I loved my E70 but I wanted the newer technology and especially the drivers assistance package which is awesome in traffic. MBB & Silverstone is a good combination. Are you getting the high gloss silver trim? I think these 2 look good together, also, I'm not a fan of carbon fiber that's why I ordered 4WW.
I decided to sale it as I got to 120k miles and started to have some additional out of the pocket expenses that I wasn't fun of. We had a great 5 years run together but when the right buyer came along I couldn't resist! I knew if I wouldn't let it go I would either get stuck with it or not able to sale it for the price I was comfortable with!

Actually I'm "getting" carbon fiber trim as in my mind the M and CF are usually synonyms and I do like the look of it.

I agree that drivers assistance package is great in traffic or on long road trips but first I'm planning to use f95 as mostly winter/weekend car and secondary I really don't like any kind of assistance in the car(s) in general (I know this is mostly me)

I've been driving for almost 30 years now and used cruise control for less than half dozen times
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #12
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have to agree, the transmission is awesome.
Even though its the same ZF 8 speed transmission across my E70, my old F86 and the new F96, the one in F96 is so much improved it makes all the difference. In the F86 it was as slow, lazy and unresponsive as the E70, took forever to decide to downshift. In the F96 it downshifts instantly, there is always immediate throttle response and you always have this immediate passing power. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #13
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Quote:
I have to agree, the transmission is awesome.
Even though its the same ZF 8 speed transmission across my E70, my old F86 and the new F96, the one in F96 is so much improved it makes all the difference. In the F86 it was as slow, lazy and unresponsive as the E70, took forever to decide to downshift. In the F96 it downshifts instantly, there is always immediate throttle response and you always have this immediate passing power. Love it.
good to know. My X6MC is still sitting at the dealer. just had the update done. coming from a tuned E71 M, I fixed the laggy throttle with a sprint booster.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
crm102b
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M/F95, M5/F90

Inside New X5M. My first impressions

Thx for your detailed write-up, Turbousa. Based on your years of operating an X5M you have insights that most professional auto reviewers simply don’t possess. And I agree with almost all of your points.

I’m coming from the same place: a white E70 for 10 years, followed by a Donington Grey F95 in August of this year. I said good-bye to the E70 reluctantly — but even a low-mileage vehicle of that complexity starts to nickel and dime you after ten years — and the dependability inevitably starts to decline.

My only real difference with your comments: I haven’t found the gesture controls to be of much use. On the other hand, I had originally dissed inputting letters into the various menus by tracing them out with your finger on the top of the iDrive controller — but it’s a feature I use most days…

Strong Agreements:
==============

It’s a double thumbs-down on the revised F95 moonroof. That’s apparently what happens when you let the MBA’s loose on a cost-reduction snipe hunt. Not only is the utility of the thing lessened by replacing two separate sheets of glass with one of smaller area — the substantial inner liner has been replaced with (road-noise transparent) cloth. Every time I operate the new moonroof, there’s a wave of nostalgia for the old one.

And I agree with you on the superior styling of the E70 rear end. To me, the F95’s rear is a mess of confused angles and protruding lumps.

F95 Plusses:
=========

You didn’t mention the transmission explicitly — but the drivability of the F95’s 8-speed is clearly superior to the old 6-speed. Crisper, smoother — and you can start in 2nd gear if you want (useful on ice or packed snow).

The F95 ‘laser’ headlights seem a tad brighter with better beam definition than the old HID Xenons; but maybe that’s just an impression. (It would be interesting to see a real measured comparison.) The headlight steering tracking (Adaptive Light Control) is great.

The F95’s active cruise control (ACC) + automatic lane holding (Assisted Driving Mode) are so good it’s frightening.

The F95’s Remote Engine Start is new to me and on cold mornings, worth its weight in gold. Every now and then the engine fails to catch and then the feature locks itself out. Not sure why…

Additional F95 nits:
==============

I’m finding the F95 seats okay as seats. But the bolsters are mighty stiff and interfere with getting in and out; one needs to be mindful of one’s manhood…

Nobody seems to know whether the F95 has a hitch available now — or if one will ever be available in future. My E70’s tow hitch was purchased from the dealer up front as part of the deal.

The F95’s disappearing, motor-driven luggage cover is a depressing, unnecessary Rube Goldberg contraption. How many cubic feet of luggage space did it cost? Since it interferes with a sensible trunk mat, I have parked the cover beneath the trunk floor permanently. (Valuable packages get covered with a light 4 x 4ft plastic tarp.)

The E70 came with a space-saver spare. My dealer forgot to tell me that a similar spare is available as a factory option for the F95, hence it wasn’t ordered. The old E70 one is the right size for the F95, but of course the bolt pattern has been changed. Since my F95 was ordered without a spare, I’m not sure if one can be made to fit under the trunk cover. (I tried the old one for fit — it seems slightly too fat.)

Not sure how the F95’s metal springs will turn out. The E70 (and my E53 X5 before that) had air suspension — zero problems and automatic leveling with heavy loads.

I most specifically declined roof racks on the F95, but the dealer ordered them anyway. The solid, one-piece rails make it nearly impossible to scrape ice and snow off the roof. Brilliant!

The F95’s rear headrests are not removable. I never have passengers on board, so I removed them from the E70. With the F95, their main function is to obstruct the rear view and get in the way when the rear seats are folded down.

The F95’s computer-controlled dual-perfume dispenser (Ambient Air Package) is an in-joke. Right?

———
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Wait, I didnt even discover a perfume dispenser, we have that?!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
crm102b
Canada
Rep

Ambient Air Package

Yes SlowX6M, the feature is absolutely real, you have a computer-controlled dual-perfume dispenser — altho the marketeers have given it a stealth name: Ambient Air Package.

Refer to the associated pages in the 2020 Owner's Manual (attached)...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pages from X5 Owner's Manual - 2020-2.pdf (710.1 KB, 93 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #17
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm102b View Post

I’m coming from the same place: a white E70 for 10 years, followed by a Donington Grey F95 in August of this year. I said good-bye to the E70 reluctantly
My friend, after 10 years of E70 ownership, you also have that insight. I like your assessments.
How many miles were on your E70 when you sold it? Mine had around 54K. the only problem I ever had with that E70 was a leaking oiler cooler. What problems if any were you seeing with yours as you spoke of nickel & diming.
The gesture controls are awesome, especially if you operate the music & phone often. You must use them correctly and make sure your hand is in the sensor area. It works very good most of the time. I have a special gesture to tell navigation to show me the way home. I so wish this F95 had the moonroof of the E70. What is this Ambient Air Package you speak of, ive never heard of it.
I didn’t know you could get the luggage cover on the F95. I didn’t see that as an option. Did your F95 come with the Michelin tires?

Other than the hard head rests, the smaller moon roof & controversial looks of the back end, im loving this F95. Especially, as you mentioned, the assisted driving mode.

Post picks of you new ride & your old E70.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #18
crm102b
Canada
Rep

New F95 / Old E70...

Hi TurboUSA, glad to respond to your questions/comments…
- - -

How many miles were on your E70 when you sold it? Mine had around 54K.
Mine was low-mileage as well: only 76k kilometers = ~50k miles, mostly winter-driven. (By mid-April I mostly switch to my M5 and it stays out thru mid-November).

What problems if any were you seeing with yours as you spoke of nickel & diming.
Two recent hassles come to mind:
• The short driveshaft to the front axle started to fail. It’s a one-piece unit including integral ‘U’-joints at each end. About $1.5k to replace, all-in.
• The locking system failed catastrophically—imprisoning me inside the car (fortunately the windows were still operable!). About 10 hours labor by a very good tech (at >$100/hr shop rate) to sort it out. Traced to a sneaky corroded wiring harness connector, located directly below the driver’s left footrest.
• Then there was the spendy, aging lithium battery ($$!) & water-cooled(!) alternator ($$!) combo, just waiting to bite me…

What is this Ambient Air Package you speak of, I’ve never heard of it.
Seldom mentioned, but the AAP seems to have been around for ~5years on various BMW models; not sure if it’s currently available on US X5s. The pair of replaceable ‘fragrance’ cartridges lives inside the glove box. Several fragrances are available at ~ $50 a pop; they’re alleged to last 3-4 months or so.

Can you wrap your mind around:
• BMW Ambient Air, Green Suite No. 1
…with hyacinth and cardamom, this fragrance communicate the naturalness of a dew-covered, green meadow; or

• BMW Ambient Air, Green Suite No. 2
…its composition of moss, mint and a precious wood scent suffuses it with the energy of cool forests?

Cartridge handling video (7-series). Fragrances.

Option: S4NM [Ambient Air Paket]

Discussed in some detail over at the G05 forum:

I didn’t know you could get the luggage cover on the F95. I didn’t see that as an option.
Option: S48; again, this may not be offered in the US…?

Cargo Cover Operation.

Did your F95 come with the Michelin tires?
Nope. Lost the summer tire lottery — Pirelli P-Zeros all around on staggered (21/22in) rims.

However, when I ordered a set of 21in Model 808 winter wheels/tires as a package from the dealer, they arrived equipped with Michelin Pilot Alpins. You guessed it—based on the experience of many winters, I much prefer Pirelli Winter Scorpions

Post picks of you new ride & your old E70.
Alas, I’m not much of a photographer and don’t have much to choose from.

Pic 1: My Donington twins: the F95 next to its dusty F90 (2018) stable mate (+ Honda lawnmower, E70 space-saver spare and several other things that aren’t really improving the picture).

Pic 2: My E70 / X5M: decorated with a bit of ice and snow — not uncommon here in the Great White North. Very rare indeed for it to find it inside the garage… Yes, that’s a very slight depression in the hood (right side, in the pic). It resulted from a collision with a good-sized deer at 120kph/75mph. Most of the impact was borne by the upper windshield and the front part of the roof… Miraculously, the X5 survived with very minimal damage! Unsurprisingly, the deer did not.

Pic 3: And a final glimpse of the E70 with the dealer’s temporary tag dangling — as the valet drives it to wherever they take Beemers that are too old to retail off the lot. (As we agreed, a nice clean rear-end. But I never liked those unfinished E70/X5M quad tailpipes — the F95 beats that part of the look by a mile). The broad upside-down U-shaped cutout in the bumper to clear the BMW-supplied hitch was cut by the dealer’s service guys, and then lined with split 1/4in black rubber tubing. It looked ~ tolerable, and lasted 10years without trouble.

- - -
Attached Images

Appreciate 0