10-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
ENCBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i; X5 45e

X5 vs Aviator

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I own a 21 Aviator and have a love/hate relationship with the thing. On one hand I love the design, luxury, distinct look, rarity, etc. The ride is unmatched. But the infotainment gremlins and small rattles make it annoying as heck. The 28 speaker revel sound system performs beautifully half the time, then the speakers sound like shit on others. Dealer support is less than great.

My question is this: is there anyone here who has experienced the aviator in its upper trims and can give me a real world comparison?

Some items like the lack of an upgraded sound system on a 22 x5 give me pause. Thoughts on that?

Have the 21/22 x5s been pretty solid in the infotainment and rattles department?

Any feedback from those that have cross-shopped or owned the two would be great. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I don't have experience with the Aviator, but I'm familiar with Fords. Biggest difference is going to be tech and build quality. The Aviator doesn't come close in either category.

About sound systems - rumor is the B&W is coming back in a few months, but it's hard to count on that. At this point I wouldn't even count on humanity existing more than a few weeks at a time
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-17-2021, 05:19 PM   #3
ENCBimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I don't have experience with the Aviator, but I'm familiar with Fords. Biggest difference is going to be tech and build quality. The Aviator doesn't come close in either category.

About sound systems - rumor is the B&W is coming back in a few months, but it's hard to count on that. At this point I wouldn't even count on humanity existing more than a few weeks at a time
Amen. I was hoping the Lincoln was different based on the reviews and press. But its proving just not to be the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENCBimmer View Post
I own a 21 Aviator and have a love/hate relationship with the thing. On one hand I love the design, luxury, distinct look, rarity, etc. The ride is unmatched. But the infotainment gremlins and small rattles make it annoying as heck. The 28 speaker revel sound system performs beautifully half the time, then the speakers sound like shit on others. Dealer support is less than great.

My question is this: is there anyone here who has experienced the aviator in its upper trims and can give me a real world comparison?

Some items like the lack of an upgraded sound system on a 22 x5 give me pause. Thoughts on that?

Have the 21/22 x5s been pretty solid in the infotainment and rattles department?

Any feedback from those that have cross-shopped or owned the two would be great. Thanks
Never sat in an Aviator, but the X5 should be easily better in every respect. Although, the 28 speaker Revel system will be hard to match with the base HiFi system. Revel is a true high end audio company (also owned by HK). Unless you get and X5 with B&W, the Revel system will likely be better.

However, other than that, I can't think of any reason why you won't love the X5! You can upgrade the speakers pretty easily as well with after market if you need to…
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post

Amen. I was hoping the Lincoln was different based on the reviews and press. But its proving just not to be the case.
I think it's a solid vehicle and way better than some Lincoln's of the past. But at the end of the day, it's an Explorer with some better materials. I don't say that to demean the vehicle, it makes a compelling vehicle for a lot of domestic buyers that can afford to go up-model, it's just not going to compete with a German luxury brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Doug DeMuro is annoying to watch, but his video on the Aviator talks about it compared to the competition, and his take is the gap isn't quite as wide as some people on this forum might suggest. He does mention that the tech in the Aviator isn't as impressive as in its German rivals, so you might appreciate that in an X5.

In answer to your very specific question about rattles — you will not get away from them in the X5, unfortunately. It is my #1 complaint in any vehicle, and my X5 has many interior rattles. There are a few threads about them.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #7
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep
Drives: \

Would have liked to have picked your brain on your Aviator ownership experience. We were considering an Aviator Black Label (wasn't a fan of the unpainted bits of the Reserve trim and the blacked out wheels on the monochromatic trim aren't my cup of tea). But, the vehicle itself had a lot going for it. The sound system was great and it had a lot of nice luxury touches like the vented second row seats, alcantara headliner, and getting the car picked up and dropped off for service. The front seats were oddly snug in their widest position (and I'm not a large person) and I wasn't a big fan of the steering at low speeds (it almost felt like the awd system was binding while turning). If we needed a 3rd row with usable storage behind it, I think the Aviator would have stood a better chance.

In the end, the BMW felt a bit more solid, the engine felt more refined, and the steering felt better. Hope the Aviator has been reliable so far. It seemed to have a lot going for it on my hour test drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:08 AM   #8
januza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I was looking at the 2021 Aviator.. My wife absolutely loved it..Its no doubt very nice its a like a nice leather sofa living room where the 45e is way more sporty as a drive but also to look at. We went with the BMW despite being smaller inside but all in all I like the sporty yet luxury feel of the BMW and was a bit concerned about quality problems with Lincoln but honestly we were very very close getting the aviator.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:36 AM   #9
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

We own a Edge ST also. I think the Edge/Nautilus is the correct comparison to the X5, not the Explorer/Aviator. Hands down the X5 is better fit and finish, materials and tech. But the Edge is 6" shorter, has much more rear legroom with reclining rear seats and more cargo room (obviously transverse FWD architecture vs longitudinal RWD architecture).

X5 has a better calibrated and shifting transmission. X5 gets better gas mileage. But the Edge ST drives and handles pretty much exactly like the X5. The X5 is mine and the Edge ST is my wife's, so I drive the Edge ST often enough to a frequently ask myself is the X5 worth the price difference? I'm torn, I come out 50/50, the BMW is definitely not a clear winner when price is considered.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:22 AM   #10
ENCBimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_McTowelie View Post
Would have liked to have picked your brain on your Aviator ownership experience. We were considering an Aviator Black Label (wasn't a fan of the unpainted bits of the Reserve trim and the blacked out wheels on the monochromatic trim aren't my cup of tea). But, the vehicle itself had a lot going for it. The sound system was great and it had a lot of nice luxury touches like the vented second row seats, alcantara headliner, and getting the car picked up and dropped off for service. The front seats were oddly snug in their widest position (and I'm not a large person) and I wasn't a big fan of the steering at low speeds (it almost felt like the awd system was binding while turning). If we needed a 3rd row with usable storage behind it, I think the Aviator would have stood a better chance.

In the end, the BMW felt a bit more solid, the engine felt more refined, and the steering felt better. Hope the Aviator has been reliable so far. It seemed to have a lot going for it on my hour test drive.
It is about how you would expect, honestly. There are certain elements that shine (like the sound system, but only when it decides to work), the massaging seats/adjustability (but only if the bolsters don't squeeze the everloving bejesus out of you), it has some cool features and tech (but they work about 65% of the time, and about 15% of the time when you actually want to use them), and unless you have a very good dealer, the pick up/drop off is a bit of a gimmick. They'll do it, but they'll leave you a 4 year old CPO with for sale stickers all over it.

I think Ford really tried with it, but it still feels like a 'copy' of something else.

For example - digital cluster, clearly mimicking BMW/Audi, but not nearly as functional. No map, no customization. Literally just a digital display. They'll put a 400hp engine in the thing and it'll blaze in a straight line, but it stinks up the town when it does it and the transmission will make you pay for it until your next drive.

In a way it reminds me of Genesis from about 5-ish years ago. Not sure about now. They desperately wanted to be taken seriously (comparisons to things way out of its league). But when you spent time with it, you realized it just felt half-baked. Once you have owned the real thing (I had an F10 550 before we needed the *******, you realize that there is a trade-off, but sometimes you have to get the OG.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #11
ENCBimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
We own a Edge ST also. I think the Edge/Nautilus is the correct comparison to the X5, not the Explorer/Aviator. Hands down the X5 is better fit and finish, materials and tech. But the Edge is 6" shorter, has much more rear legroom with reclining rear seats and more cargo room (obviously transverse FWD architecture vs longitudinal RWD architecture).

X5 has a better calibrated and shifting transmission. X5 gets better gas mileage. But the Edge ST drives and handles pretty much exactly like the X5. The X5 is mine and the Edge ST is my wife's, so I drive the Edge ST often enough to a frequently ask myself is the X5 worth the price difference? I'm torn, I come out 50/50, the BMW is definitely not a clear winner when price is considered.
Has the Edge gotten bigger? My mother had two of them, original design, and I think maybe 2016 or so? And I felt like the X5 was bigger. But you have both, so obviously you would know better than I.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #12
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I've had zero rattles with a 22 45e. I'm much happier after my last vehicle being Mercedes, who are known for rattles and creaky interior.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11113.50
      10-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #13
ENCBimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
I've had zero rattles with a 22 45e. I'm much happier after my last vehicle being Mercedes, who are known for rattles and creaky interior.
Were you able to get it with an upgraded sound system, or the base Hifi?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #14
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:

For example - digital cluster, clearly mimicking BMW/Audi, but not nearly as functional. No map, no customization. Literally just a digital display.

FYI, the BMW digital gauge cluster is barely customizable compared to other digital gauge clusters.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #15
ENCBimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
FYI, the BMW digital gauge cluster is barely customizable compared to other digital gauge clusters.
At least it has a map! The Lincoln's is literally just the trip computer, speed and what's playing on the radio (two songs ago).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #16
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Has the Edge gotten bigger? My mother had two of them, original design, and I think maybe 2016 or so? And I felt like the X5 was bigger. But you have both, so obviously you would know better than I.
X5 is bigger outside, smaller inside. No one likes the back seat in the X5.

Last edited by todd92; 10-18-2021 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #17
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My X5 is surprisingly rattle free although it only has 6k miles on it. I know rattles tend to develop more over time, but it’s as tight as drum and one thing I’m very happy with.

Rear-seat legroom is abysmal though.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #18
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

When I see an aviator I barely notice it. When I see an X5, it just stands out and has that look of luxury and prestige.

Aviator's are basically Fords.

X5's dont have a sister company who sells the same SUV for 25K.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #19
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

I test drove a Navigator a few months ago and viewed the Aviator in the show room. I don't think these vehicles compare in any way shape or form to the X5 (realizing the Navigator is much bigger).

I just picked up my 2022 X5 M50i this past Saturday. Incredible vehicle. I am not a fan of the HK systems. I wanted the B&W system, however, it's currently not available. I will probably upgrade to Focal speakers, new amps, new subs, in the near future.

With that being said, the HK surround sound system (not the HK basic system) sounds better than I expected. IMO, the HK surround sound system in the BMW trumps the Revel system in the Lincoln's by a wide margin. I was not impressed by the Revel system at all. Everything in the BMW X5 is way better- totally luxurious. This is my third BMW and I have never heard noises or anything wrong with the sound systems.

Go B&W if available. If not, go HK surround over HK basic unless you know you will definitely upgrade the system yourself and you want to save some money on initial build.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #20
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
When I see an aviator I barely notice it. When I see an X5, it just stands out and has that look of luxury and prestige.
I was in Carmel for the weekend, near Pebble Beach, and I'm pretty sure that's where all the x5s throughout the country are going for the winter to hibernate. Every time I blinked I saw another one.
Appreciate 4
GrussGott18113.00
CGG158.00
      10-18-2021, 02:37 PM   #21
ENCBimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
I was in Carmel for the weekend, near Pebble Beach, and I'm pretty sure that's where all the x5s throughout the country are going for the winter to hibernate. Every time I blinked I saw another one.
Kind of how I feel. The X5 is beautiful, but they're very common. Doesn't detract from it, but one of the appeals to me was that the Aviator is relatively rare, and is difficult to deny that it is beautiful!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2021, 06:37 PM   #22
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post

Totally cool, but realize there are lots of people who aren't buying a vehicle to be rolling jewelry

Personally I don't give two shiits about "the look of luxury & prestige"; I used to though, just not any more

What I DO care about is convenience, comfort, and capability, so if the Aviator had more of that stuff than an X5 I'd be all in.
Appreciate 1
TXSchnee1280.00