06-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #23
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Every ICE vehicle already releases water vapor, among other things :-) Producing hydrogen requires lots of energy and the fuel cells have low efficiency (40-60%), so it's not a perfect solution. Not to mention that hydrogen can cause huge explosions.. EV's are the way to go, IMO.
I think gas (LPG, CNG) is more way to go. Earth has huge backups on gas and gas engines are also almost emission free (except NOx, which can handle with after burner/ad blue catalyst).
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #24
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBavarianArea View Post
Its a Russian Bot 👀
Classic Liberal nonsense response to anything that threatens their position. Predictable as a sunrise.
It will certainly be interesting to see how all the EVs on the way are recharged in CA with a power grid that has been degraded for decades by insane environmental restrictions. Sh_t show in the making
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #25
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL335i View Post
I think gas (LPG, CNG) is more way to go. Earth has huge backups on gas and gas engines are also almost emission free (except NOx, which can handle with after burner/ad blue catalyst).
Please send this memo to our President!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #26
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Wow, this became political fast...
whatever we say, the earth is getting warmer, Hoover dam is dangerously low on water. we have more floods, more fires, weird weather and snow where it shouldn't be...
Call it whatever you want, but even if it is a fluke... do you want to take the chance? We don't really have a backup earth ready yet...
Appreciate 4
FastMarkA560.50
volodp196.50
      06-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #27
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Quote:
Its a Russian Bot 👀
Classic Liberal nonsense response to anything that threatens their position. Predictable as a sunrise.
It will certainly be interesting to see how all the EVs on the way are recharged in CA with a power grid that has been degraded for decades by insane environmental restrictions. Sh_t show in the making
The better solution is to upgrade the infrastructure. Which is needed across the country now. Also, why do you keep throwing around pejoratives like 'liberal' what is your insecurity? Why can't you argue your points without making everything political? I feel a little sorry for you to be honest. It's good to have a positive outlook on life. You seem really bitter.

JMHO. Life is too short to have all that resentment inside. No amount of material goods, like your car or house can compensate for that.
Appreciate 8
FastMarkA560.50
Go FasTA231.00
volodp196.50
jmack1231300.50
JimVR4337.50
      06-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Every ICE vehicle already releases water vapor, among other things :-) Producing hydrogen requires lots of energy and the fuel cells have low efficiency (40-60%), so it's not a perfect solution. Not to mention that hydrogen can cause huge explosions.. EV's are the way to go, IMO.
CNG is popular in some countries. No one is stopping BMW from making a CNG car. It's their choice. All technologies have pros and cons. You don't need a President to be involved in this. The argument will be won on merit….
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #29
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
whatever we say, the earth is getting warmer, Hoover dam is dangerously low on water. we have more floods, more fires, weird weather and snow where it shouldn't be...
Call it whatever you want, but even if it is a fluke... do you want to take the chance? We don't really have a backup earth ready yet...
I see.
The Earth is 4,500,000,000 years old. We have temperature records for less than 200 years but the Green New Deal advocates and the like are absolutely convinced that the end is near. How stupid can some of us be?
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #30
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Curious how sustainable and clean Hydrogen is and any possible effects on global warming if every vehicle on earth starts releasing water vapor?
Every internal combustion vehicle emits water vapor.
The scientific community is also not in agreement on the "global warming" issue. Many in that arena never got on the band wagon and others who did are now highly skeptical or no longer agree with all the hype that is being exploited to advance various political agendas.
Fossil fuels are going to be used in great volumes for the foreseeable future whether the environmental freaks are able to comprehend why or not. This war on fossil fuels is the stupidest thing I have seen in my lifetime as we essentially retreat into a pre industrial era not much better than the stone age in their absence. Our world or anything remotely similar does not exist without coal, natural gas and oil.
this guy … fossil fuels are going nowhere. The Oil & gas industry will just continue to evolve, get better, cleaner, more efficient.

Quote:
Quote:
Curious how sustainable and clean Hydrogen is and any possible effects on global warming if every vehicle on earth starts releasing water vapor?
… they aren't using deuterium and tritium in the fuel cells : maybe do some research on what has caused the huge explosions at hydrogen plants.
Until I see battery powered heavy machinery mining the materials required to make your EVs, a reusable (and non-existent) material to make the batteries, and "green" energy to charge your batteries… your argument is just as redundant as every other green snowflake.
At last, someone with wisdom as well as enthusiasm for the planet

06-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #31
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
The better solution is to upgrade the infrastructure. Which is needed across the country now. Also, why do you keep throwing around pejoratives like 'liberal' what is your insecurity? Why can't you argue your points without making everything political? I feel a little sorry for you to be honest. It's good to have a positive outlook on life. You seem really bitter.

JMHO. Life is too short to have all that resentment inside. No amount of material goods, like your car or house can compensate for that.
I am on the positive side of the fence that sees a bright future free of government rules, regulations, restrictions, etc.
How much more environmental regulation do we need?
How much more of our industry are we willing to concede to our enemies as we play Green Weenie?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #32
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Its a Russian Bot
      06-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #33
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In Australia, it's supposed to be winter. In the 80s, this time of the year day temperatures were around 12°C and now around 20°C

I respect everyone's opinion, however need to mention, name-calling doesn't solve any problems (not meant for this post but as a general observation to all posters)
volodp196.50
      06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #34
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
…Call it whatever you want, but even if it is a fluke... do you want to take the chance? We don't really have a backup earth ready yet...
Quote:
The Earth is 4,500,000,000 years old. We have temperature records for less than 200 years but the Green New Deal advocates and the like are absolutely convinced that the end is near. How stupid can some of us be?
ONE THING IS A FACT: life on Earth will end one day when Earth is destroyed as our Sun dies. whether we last until that point or destroy Earth's life support system before that, all this political bashing is wasted energy. enjoy your rides, folks!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #35
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Appreciate 4
GREENPUS133.00
jmack1231300.50
KRS_SN13501.50
      06-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #36
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I am on the positive side of the fence that sees a bright future free of government rules, regulations, restrictions, etc.
How much more environmental regulation do we need?
How much more of our industry are we willing to concede to our enemies as we play Green Weenie?
Which industry exactly has the US fallen behind in? If any thing EVs have been a shot in the arm for the US auto industry. Not just that, even non US companies are doing major R&D in the US now. US is still pretty innovative because there are so many ideas being worked on at the same time. The Renaissance was messy as well…

The problem here is Infrastructure. That needs to be addressed. The problem is not Govt. regulation, it is a crumbling infrastructure IMHO.

Also, not sure how much you travel, but I do get around quite a bit and countries that are more forward thinking when it comes to the environment etc have far better standard of lining that those that do not.

I would recommend that you look at things objectively and not just emotionally.

Back to the topic. I have to give credit to BMW for trying different ideas. Not everything they try will work, but if you stop innovating on new ideas you will end up like Kodak and others that tried to rest on what worked for them in the past….
Appreciate 2
mcman19.00
      06-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #37
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I see.
The green new deal is a way to stimulate the economy. You can pump money to build more weapons or handouts or build infrastructure to improve the future. Less pollution is better quality of life.

It's not all of nothing…we will have different types of energy - oil, gas, nuclear, wind, solar etc etc…but living in a cleaner, greener world is not a bad thing. We are already seeing the impact of green regulation in cleaner cities and rivers etc.

Like all arguments, there are those who will have extreme views. But name calling of the sort that is encouraged by an ex president and certain radio and TV personalities does not help. My 2 cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #38
speedyman
Banned
Rep

I'm sure we all give credit to BMW as well as any automaker for pioneering these alternative technologies. Some of these developments will likely bear fruit in the future and some will not.
None of this needs to be forced on us by government. It will evolve on its own as things change over time and that includes "infrastructure".
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #39
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The green new deal is a way to stimulate the economy. You can pump money to build more weapons or handouts or build infrastructure to improve the future. Less pollution is better quality of life.

It's not all of nothing…we will have different types of energy - oil, gas, nuclear, wind, solar etc etc…but living in a cleaner, greener world is not a bad thing. We are already seeing the impact of green regulation in cleaner cities and rivers etc.

Like all arguments, there are those who will have extreme views. But name calling of the sort that is encouraged by an ex president and certain radio and TV personalities does not help. My 2 cents worth.
"The Green New Deal is a way to stimulate the economy"?
Good grief, put down the crack pipe. Seriously, have you ever read a synopsis of what these nut cases are looking to do with this legisaltion which has absolutely zero chance.
How can anyone we whacked enough to support this nonsense?
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13501.50
      06-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #40
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I had the under on "turns political" at 6. Oh well.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      06-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #41
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
I wished the ix looked like that
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #42
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Burning fuel is so last season. Also, there is no gas distribution network in many places (like my country) while you can get electricity pretty much everywhere. Electric vehicles are simpler and faster and when their range goes up a bit, I can't see any reason for using other techniques.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #43
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

"The Green New Deal is a way to stimulate the economy"?
Good grief, put down the crack pipe. Seriously, have you ever read a synopsis of what these nut cases are looking to do with this legisaltion which has absolutely zero chance.
How can anyone we whacked enough to support this nonsense?
Looks like you have no idea what 'stimulate the economy' means! Honestly, you need to do just a little bit of reading. Whenever the govt spends money on projects or relaxes the money supply - without raising the same in taxes it stimulates the economy. The green new deal is a massive spending plan so it will stimulate the economy. Now, whether you agree with the spending or not is another matter, but spending is stimulating…

You are just looking for a political angle to everything. FWIW, we have an X5 (50i) and a Tesla Model Y Performance at home. Both are good. I wasn't thinking politics when we bought either. One is more comfortable, one is more economic and both are fun. I prefer the X5, my wife the Tesla and life goes on.

In general less pollution is better than more a d cleaner environment is better for all. The only question really is whether it is worth the cost. Or are you saying you's rather live in a polluted place but the govt is not allowing you.

You know without any regulation life would be pretty hard. All we are arguing about is when is there too much?

My only advice is that you should think about the facts and the world you want to live in and your kids to live in. I bet you are glad you live in a clean environment - but hate the regulations that made it possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #44
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
Probably as safe as the catalytic converters and smoke stack scrubbers that only release CO2
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 1