svencz
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Open Exhaust Flaps option gone from Bimmerlink

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Sorry, if this was already asked, I tried to search.

After the last update at the dealer the car's become very quiet, previously in the M2/max sport settings the sound was pretty good. I realized it might because some of my coding is gone and the exhaust flaps are no longer open, so I went to Bimmerlink only to find that the option is gone. Are there any options?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

What is the difference of opening flaps with button inside cabin and sport plus mode vs this mod with bimmerlink?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabimmer View Post
What is the difference of opening flaps with button inside cabin and sport plus mode vs this mod with bimmerlink?

Good question. I believe it's to turn off ASD (via the button in-question) and open up the valves for purer sound.

The button at the off position does both closes the valves and turns off the ASD.

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep

So the button inside open valves and turns on ASD - while bimmerlink turns off ASD and open valves ?

Any noise improvement opening valves with bimmerlink/carly or even fuse box ?

Or its same whatever you try...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
So the button inside open valves and turns on ASD - while bimmerlink turns off ASD and open valves ?

The button doesn't really control the vales.

Rev the car in park with button on and off...same exact sound.

The exhaust button just makes it fart between shifts at like 4K RPM from what I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:

The button doesn't really control the vales.

Rev the car in park with button on and off...same exact sound.

The exhaust button just makes it fart between shifts at like 4K RPM from what I can tell.
The button does change the exhaust. I'll rev it with the button off and the exhaust is quieter. I've also turned the button off in the morning to lower the cold start noise so I don't wake up the whole block.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #7
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Exhaust button has some difference which is not big but sport plus controls valves I think if you keep car in neutral and just change engine to sport plus you will hear something metallic clicking under exhaust.

My point in my question was if its worth to do the fuse box, or bimmerlink/carly etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlind94 View Post
The button does change the exhaust. I'll rev it with the button off and the exhaust is quieter. I've also turned the button off in the morning to lower the cold start noise so I don't wake up the whole block.
The exhaust button has absolutely nothing to do with the cold start noise. All cold starts will be with valves wide open for 30 seconds no matter what mode or exhaust button.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep

To be honest I think exhaust valves are mainly controlled by sport plus mode of engine - in neutral at parking spot if I put engine in sport plus I can hear something under exhaust clicking and in sport plus sound is different more sport and burbles for example at low rpm etc.

If you click button of exhaust in sport plus mode you can also see difference in noise.

This button inside and many things can be discussed here everyday but my question was more to understand if keeping valves open mechanically or bimmerlink or carly or even fusebox - does it make something extra than doing normal only like ( sport plus mode, button of exhaust inside etc )
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #10
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:
The exhaust button has absolutely nothing to do with the cold start noise. All cold starts will be with valves wide open for 30 seconds no matter what mode or exhaust button.
Damn, maybe it's in my head. It really felt like it calmed it down a bit during cold start
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Damn, maybe it's in my head. It really felt like it calmed it down a bit during cold start
Looks like bellabimmer is in Europe. They have the particulate filter in their exhaust system, so they are quieter than our system. He also might be referring to his F90, which does have a louder system than the F95's in the US.

Still don't understand BMW's logic why the F90 sounds great and our F95's are much quieter?
Appreciate 0