BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2024, 09:58 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shed View Post
As for 50e with battery depleted, are the driving chacteristics changed would love to hear from a 50e owner?
It would be very rare for the battery to be depleted, someone may be able to give the exact use case when it happens, but you can basically count on always having the assist from the electric motor.
      03-16-2024, 10:13 PM   #24
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
As for 50e with battery depleted, are the driving chacteristics changed would love to hear from a 50e owner?
I have 10k miles on my 50e and have never experienced any difference. I always had electric power to support acceleration and AC.
However, it will not allow for preconditioning.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:17 PM   #25
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonFan View Post
I have 10k miles on my 50e and have never experienced any difference. I always had electric power to support acceleration and AC.
However, it will not allow for preconditioning.
I’d like to know what would be the experience if you took a depleted battery 50e to the track. Logic tells me there is no way it could maintain the e assist?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:24 PM   #26
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
I’d like to know what would be the experience if you took a depleted battery 50e to the track. Logic tells me there is no way it could maintain the e assist?
Under most usage, you will have some HVB so it will help on sudden acceleration demand. The part you ask, maintaining e-assist, it is also rare e-assist will sustain more than a few second at a time even with full HVB. It is just not programmed to do that. In my several trip from SF bay to Tahoe (up in elevation), in 4 hours trip, i register maybe 0.1 miles of e-assist with my driving style. Now you are in a long steep uphill, say I-5 grape vine section, you try to burst accelerate multiple times, i think you will run out and lose e-assist. Or if you do back to back 0-60 with “- - -“ on E drive range, you can lose e-assist too, but I don’t see how this is typical usage.
      03-16-2024, 10:27 PM   #27
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
I doubt this would be a practical use case for the average user.

On a recent road trip it showed remaining electric miles as - - - (none). I still had > 200 miles to reach my destination. It kept recharging battery back to approx. 2 miles.

Like I said I never experienced lack of e assist.
On the other side I never had my car on a track either. The only track was at the Performance Center and they don’t use 50e’s.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:08 PM   #28
carfan36
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50e 2024, CRV Hybrid 2023

Quote:

On a recent road trip it showed remaining electric miles as - - - (none). I still had > 200 miles to reach my destination. It kept recharging battery back to approx. 2 miles.

On the other side I never had my car on a track either. The only track was at the Performance Center and they don’t use 50e’s.
Yes the battery assist is usually always available even if the battery shows 0 in terms of range. I have seen this on multiple rides where erange was 0, but never felt a shortage of power. Also have seen a youtube video of a guy posting 0-60 sprints when the battery was 50% and when it was 0 and it showed similar times.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 12:37 AM   #29
HappyDance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24’ X5 40i

I also live in the Bay Area and had to make a similar choice and I went 40i. Biggest problem is electricity costs more than premium fuel. Like many people, my home solar footprint was designed to cover household usage, and I would have to increase my footprint for an EV to the tune of $10-15k to break free from the shackles of PGE… there’s actually not even enough room on my roof at the optimal locations to add the footprint so it’s a moot point. But even if I managed it, it would take a decade of recharging to pay for itself. But I think my biggest problem with PHEV’s is their curb weight. At 5500lbs, the 50e weighs 700lbs more than the 40i. This is going to negatively impact braking and cornering performance, drivetrain wear, suspension wear, and tire wear.

Regarding reliability; I don’t think I would be too concerned. There will be some first year issues, but BMW is good at squashing bugs and making their owners whole. The modular battery pack is serviceable without complete replacement. But I still think the 40i is more mechanically simple by comparison and therefore less prone to faults down the road.

If I lived in a state where electricity was dirt cheap and my typical driving habits fell within the 40 mile range, I might be a buyer. But for my own personal situation, it makes no sense. I’m going to hold out another 5 to 10 years and see where solid state battery technology takes us, which supposedly promises to increase range, reduce curb weight and shorten recharge time.
Appreciate 1
eluded3044.50
      03-17-2024, 12:49 AM   #30
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDance View Post
I also live in the Bay Area and had to make a similar choice and I went 40i. Biggest problem is electricity costs more than premium fuel. Like many people, my home solar footprint was designed to cover household usage, and I would have to increase my footprint for an EV to the tune of $10-15k to break free from the shackles of PGE… there’s actually not even enough room on my roof at the optimal locations to add the footprint so it’s a moot point. But even if I managed it, it would take a decade of recharging to pay for itself. But I think my biggest problem with PHEV’s is their curb weight. At 5500lbs, the 50e weighs 700lbs more than the 40i. This is going to negatively impact braking and cornering performance, drivetrain wear, suspension wear, and tire wear.

Regarding reliability; I don’t think I would be too concerned. There will be some first year issues, but BMW is good at squashing bugs and making their owners whole. The modular battery pack is serviceable without complete replacement. But I still think the 40i is more mechanically simple by comparison and therefore less prone to faults down the road.

If I lived in a state where electricity was dirt cheap and my typical driving habits fell within the 40 mile range, I might be a buyer. But for my own personal situation, it makes no sense. I’m going to hold out another 5 to 10 years and see where solid state battery technology takes us, which supposedly promises to increase range, reduce curb weight and shorten recharge time.
With respect to solar PV system, if you have nem2 today, thr rule is you can only increase the system by 1kW and remain in nem2. If you add more than that, you will be kick to nem3, then the natural break even point will increase from 6-8 year to about 20-22 years, unless you spend another $15k-$20k on battery.
      03-17-2024, 05:57 AM   #31
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Under most usage, you will have some HVB so it will help on sudden acceleration demand. The part you ask, maintaining e-assist, it is also rare e-assist will sustain more than a few second at a time even with full HVB. It is just not programmed to do that. In my several trip from SF bay to Tahoe (up in elevation), in 4 hours trip, i register maybe 0.1 miles of e-assist with my driving style. Now you are in a long steep uphill, say I-5 grape vine section, you try to burst accelerate multiple times, i think you will run out and lose e-assist. Or if you do back to back 0-60 with “- - -“ on E drive range, you can lose e-assist too, but I don’t see how this is typical usage.
I truly must not know how this powertrain works then! I assumed these 2 motors work together more often than the apparently are. This seems to be a pretty rare event and only under a large load.
If what I’m saying now is true then I can see why most are always saying this is a non issue that “e assist” is always there if needed. In general - it’s just very rarely ever needed. The platform is either doing all E or all ICE with a tiny bit of E.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 05:58 AM   #32
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:

Lol yes i doubt anyone would ever track it. It was an exaggerated example to try to understand better.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:02 AM   #33
JoeAyalaM
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMWX5 M60i / Audi S6 V8TT

40i certainly.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:30 AM   #34
TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y, BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Never taken my 50e to the track, nor would I. Bottom line this is an SUV not a race car. I suppose if you want to race it on a track and keep it floored long enough that yes, you will experience limited power with the battery not able to assist.

However, driving it in traffic as intended, I’ve yet to experience this condition. It always has plenty of power for passing and Merging on freeways.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:47 AM   #35
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg91 View Post
Never taken my 50e to the track, nor would I. Bottom line this is an SUV not a race car. I suppose if you want to race it on a track and keep it floored long enough that yes, you will experience limited power with the battery not able to assist.

However, driving it in traffic as intended, I’ve yet to experience this condition. It always has plenty of power for passing and Merging on freeways.
Guys, we all know it’s not a track bound car!! It was meant to illustrate a scenario where you really wanted to push the car for an extended period of time on a depleted battery..

I am just trying to help the OP get information on the depleted battery scenario as they will experience this in their use case and if the depleted battery experience is worse than the 40i experience it may help them in their decision process.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:24 AM   #36
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2020-2024 X5 50e 2024-

Quote:
Guys, we all know it’s not a track bound car!! It was meant to illustrate a scenario where you really wanted to push the car for an extended period of time on a depleted battery..

I am just trying to help the OP get information on the depleted battery scenario as they will experience this in their use case and if the depleted battery experience is worse than the 40i experience it may help them in their decision process.
this question has been asked a few times about the 45e aswell.

i understand the question, but it has been proven to be pretty irrelevant as we don't experience the loss in power in a normal day to day drive and neither do we do on a long trip, like a 1200km i have done a couple of times.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 10:38 AM   #37
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluca View Post
this question has been asked a few times about the 45e aswell.

i understand the question, but it has been proven to be pretty irrelevant as we don't experience the loss in power in a normal day to day drive and neither do we do on a long trip, like a 1200km i have done a couple of times.
Yea I think my logical miss understanding is that the two powertrains are just not often used together. It’s either or or the other. And if you are full throttle they will be used together but again for a very short time period. So this e assist boost is always there.

I guess it’s the best of both worlds - you have a 490hp car when you need it for 1-5 seconds but can also run on entirely E. For long distances it will be working off that 6cyl motor but you won’t really care or tell the difference bc the 490 is always there for the few seconds when you need it? I.e if you’re light on the throttle you just get the ICE motor but who really cares if full throttle you get both
Appreciate 3
hiluca69.50
TexAg91121.50
WagonFan271.50
      03-17-2024, 11:08 AM   #38
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yea I think my logical miss understanding is that the two powertrains are just not often used together. It’s either or or the other. And if you are full throttle they will be used together but again for a very short time period. So this e assist boost is always there.

I guess it’s the best of both worlds - you have a 490hp car when you need it for 1-5 seconds but can also run on entirely E. For long distances it will be working off that 6cyl motor but you won’t really care or tell the difference bc the 490 is always there for the few seconds when you need it? I.e if you’re light on the throttle you just get the ICE motor but who really cares if full throttle you get both
pretty much sums it up
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:21 AM   #39
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDance View Post
…But I think my biggest problem with PHEV’s is their curb weight. At 5500lbs, the 50e weighs 700lbs more than the 40i. This is going to negatively impact braking and cornering performance, drivetrain wear, suspension wear, and tire wear.
the X5 40e was in production from 2013-2018; the 45e from 2019-2023.

I haven’t seen or read anything significant in their combined 10-year history that could negatively sway folks’ decisions away from the X5 PHEV en masse simply based on these areas you mentioned. (it’s ultimately up to the user’s preferences, though.)

1) one may notice their higher weight during spirited or track driving but shouldn’t be a factor during routine driving.
2) less than a handful of transfer case issues out there
3) I’ve only come across 2 reports of an air compressor failing on the 45e
4) folks are getting between 20-40k miles from their tire sets (obviously variable due to multiple factors)

unfortunately, the 50e is seeing its share of first-release growing pains, but once those kinks are worked out, I suspect the reliability and durability would mirror the 40e and 45e
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:28 AM   #40
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:

you may like the discussion in the following, short thread
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1978981
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:14 AM   #41
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
the X5 40e was in production from 2013-2018; the 45e from 2019-2023.

I haven’t seen or read anything significant in their combined 10-year history that could negatively sway folks’ decisions away from the X5 PHEV en masse simply based on these areas you mentioned. (it’s ultimately up to the user’s preferences, though.)

1) one may notice their higher weight during spirited or track driving but shouldn’t be a factor during routine driving.
2) less than a handful of transfer case issues out there
3) I’ve only come across 2 reports of an air compressor failing on the 45e
4) folks are getting between 20-40k miles from their tire sets (obviously variable due to multiple factors)

unfortunately, the 50e is seeing its share of first-release growing pains, but once those kinks are worked out, I suspect the reliability and durability would mirror the 40e and 45e

i got a little bit over 62k miles on my front tires and according to the dealer the tires still had 5k miles in them.

my rear tires were done at about 46kmiles

i was running bridgestone alenza's.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      03-19-2024, 10:20 AM   #42
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
I was strongly leaning towards a 50e, but the reliablity stuff (especially on this forum) has freaked me out a bit.

My situation is I am in NorCal, 3 days a week commute 40 miles each way. Potential free charging at work (if i can find a spot). Paid charging at home in my appartment building. Other than that just regular errand running, and perhaps a 100-400 mile trip every 4-6 weeks for short vacations.

I suspect that cost of running is not going to be much different, but I like the fact that the 50e has signiricantly better performance. I guess there may also be some environmental benefits, but they would be marginal at best.

Coming from a 2018 Q7 which has been flawless for 6.5 years, the reliablity is a big deal. I just don't have the time to take things into a dealer every month.
I got the 50e twice.

- I hate the ASS on the ICE cars
- Extra power
- Smooth launch, silent operation, high torque
- No more gas for me
- Air suspension
Appreciate 0