Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
The ENET/lighting adapter combo is definitely a lot faster. I can walk through all menus in BC and code my preferences in 5 minutes or so. Compare that with MX+ taking ~5 minutes just to read and code BDC.

However, I had 3 instances where the cable combo failed to connect. Is this what you had experienced LexxM3 ? I had to disconnect and re-initiate diagnostics mode again. But once it works it is consistent.

I never experienced disconnection or issues yet with Mx+. It is just slow but fits the small storage box by the driver side.
That is another thing..... Regarding diagnostic mode, both when I used my older Vgate WiFi adapter and now the Ethernet/ENET cable combo, my X7 automatically went into diagnostic mode each time I connected. It did it before I tried to access any ECU even though diagnostic mode is only required when accessing the DME. During the initial connection to BimmerCode, I got the indication in the dash and a notification on the iDrive screen that my X7 was in diagnostic mode. Do you guys need to manually go into diagnostic mode?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #1080
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
That is another thing..... Regarding diagnostic mode, both when I used my older Vgate WiFi adapter and now the Ethernet/ENET cable combo, my X7 automatically went into diagnostic mode each time I connected. It did it before I tried to access any ECU even though diagnostic mode is only required when accessing the DME. During the initial connection to BimmerCode, I got the indication in the dash and a notification on the iDrive screen that my X7 was in diagnostic mode. Do you guys need to manually go into diagnostic mode?
Mine behaves like yours. Using an Enet cable + Lighning adapter, when I connect to bimmercode, my dash shows "diagnostic mode" for a moment or two. This is when the car is in standby, not running, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #1081
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
The ENET/lighting adapter combo is definitely a lot faster. I can walk through all menus in BC and code my preferences in 5 minutes or so. Compare that with MX+ taking ~5 minutes just to read and code BDC.

However, I had 3 instances where the cable combo failed to connect. Is this what you had experienced LexxM3 ? I had to disconnect and re-initiate diagnostics mode again. But once it works it is consistent.

I never experienced disconnection or issues yet with Mx+. It is just slow but fits the small storage box by the driver side.
Yes.
      04-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #1082
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

It has recently been noted by others that modern Bimmercode automatically starts Diagnostic Mode and I just tested that to also be the case for my current setup as well with Bimmercode 3.5 on iOS. That is a brand new behaviour, used to require manual invocation of Diagnostic Mode. More here: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26016120
      04-07-2020, 02:39 AM   #1083
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
So what changes did you make to the head unit ecu?
Under HU_MGU (Head unit) ECU I changed two modules:

"3008 FES" module:
- FES_SPORT_EXPERT change to aktiv
- SPORT_CONF_ATTENUATION_SPORTPLUS change to active
- SPORT_CONF_STEERING_SPORTPLUS change to active

"300A SARAH" module:
- Spurwechselassistent change to gen_1

So overall procedure is:

Body Domain Controller (BDC) ECU:-
3221 PfFesMaster module:
- FesPiaDefaultSportWorldMode: change to 0x02 (SportExpert, aka Sports Plus)
- FesSportWorldMode1: change to 0x02 (SportExpert, aka Sports Plus)

HU_MGU ECU:-
3008 FES module:
- FES_SPORT_EXPERT change to aktiv
- SPORT_CONF_ATTENUATION_SPORTPLUS change to active
- SPORT_CONF_STEERING_SPORTPLUS change to active

300A SARAH module:
- Spurwechselassistent change to gen_1
Thanks but I do not think you need the spurwechelassistent as it relates to lane change assistant. I now have a greyed out box in the driver assistance option. The other settings certainly work though.
Appreciate 1
ifr1198.00
      04-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #1084
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks but I do not think you need the spurwechelassistent as it relates to lane change assistant. I now have a greyed out box in the driver assistance option. The other settings certainly work though.
OK, so I just figured out how to "ungrey" the box for lane change assist.

Go into Body Domain Controller (BDC) ECU:-
3420 PfSarahMaster module:
- spurwechel_assistent change to aktiv

You now have access to "Lane Change Assist"

..man, I'm approaching more hacks in this thing than Matt Damon did in "The Martian" ..
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      04-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #1085
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Quote:

..man, I'm approaching more hacks in this thing than Matt Damon did in "The Martian" ..
You are a legend. Thanks. Will try in morning.

PS did you see the options about ampelassistent (traffic lights), stoppschild (stop signs) and rettungswagge (emergeny lane)? Just in case you are able to solve them too!

seriously good work though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #1086
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:

Have you tested lane change assist?

When I published this originally, it also needed:
42C1 (SAS)\C_SWA_VORHANDEN Enabled
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #1087
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You are a legend. Thanks. Will try in morning.

PS did you see the options about ampelassistent (traffic lights), stoppschild (stop signs) and rettungswagge (emergeny lane)? Just in case you are able to solve them too!

seriously good work though.
Those 3 are not supported in the latest i-step. You can activate them in i-drive as per screenshots, but they won't do anything.

Coding shows they could be supported from 07/2020.x so fingers crossed as Traffic Light support (stop/start) would be cool.

Only issue seems to be legislative support, which I think is why Tesla haven't implemented it yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by ifr; 04-07-2020 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      04-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #1088
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So I will play dumb here.... Exactly how is this functionality supposed to work if/when implemented? Right now the semi-autonomous features by BMW are designed for highway use, either with or without traffic. Is this functionality supposed to allow the semi-autonomous features to work on city/urban streets at much slower and more dynamic speed, by using stop lights and speed limit signs to help the car "know" its surroundings and drive accordingly?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #1089
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

In some markets, or with coding, the car can automatically adjust its speed based upon the speed limit, while driving and steering both on/off highway.

The steering part is much improved if following another vehicle off highway. It can also slow for junctions, navigation exits, and roundabouts.

The new tech will allow the car to stop at traffic lights and stop signs automatically. It will not restart the car when the light turns to green if you are the first car in the queue, but will alert the driver to set off.

There are a couple of additional features planned, but I don't know how practical they are or if they will ever see the light of day:
- Prevent undertaking
- form an emergency lane in congestion. This looks to automatically move the car onto the side of the road when an emergency vehicle approaches. Would need multiple vehicles to support the feature to truly work well but I can see the benefit.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #1090
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
In some markets, or with coding, the car can automatically adjust its speed based upon the speed limit, while driving and steering both on/off highway.

The steering part is much improved if following another vehicle off highway. It can also slow for junctions, navigation exits, and roundabouts.

The new tech will allow the car to stop at traffic lights and stop signs automatically. It will not restart the car when the light turns to green if you are the first car in the queue, but will alert the driver to set off.

There are a couple of additional features planned, but I don't know how practical they are or if they will ever see the light of day:
- Prevent undertaking
- form an emergency lane in congestion. This looks to automatically move the car onto the side of the road when an emergency vehicle approaches. Would need multiple vehicles to support the feature to truly work well but I can see the benefit.
Sounds interesting, so basically the semi-autonomous features will work in a more urban/non-highway environment if/when this is implemented. Is additional equipment/hardware required? Or does the equipment that comes with the Driving Assistant Professional Package have all the hardware needed?

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #1091
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sounds interesting, so basically the semi-autonomous features will work in a more urban/non-highway environment if/when this is implemented. Is additional equipment/hardware required? Or does the equipment that comes with the Driving Assistant Professional Package have all the hardware needed?
It depends on what you mean by work. They already work for me in that Auto Speed limit assistant, adaptive cruise, slow for junctions, steering etc all work off the highway. Assisted driving isn't as efficient as on a highway as there are multiple additional scenarios to address which is why they work much better when following another vehicle.

The changes I've mentioned add Traffic Light and Stop Sign Recognition so I guess yes it will improve semi-autonomous urban driving.

Good question on the hardware requirements. There were side radar hardware changes introduced with MY2020, but I'm hoping that existing MY2019 will also support these specific features.

Coding shows 2 requirements - DAP and build version 07/2020. This doesn't mean it won't be supported on earlier build vehicles, but they will need i-step 07/2020 - when I discovered and published the Assisted Driving View coding, it also stated a later build version (07/2019), but that coding was supported on earlier build cars as long as they had i-step 07/2019 or later.

We can but hope
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #1092
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
It depends on what you mean by work. They already work for me in that Auto Speed limit assistant, adaptive cruise, slow for junctions, steering etc all work off the highway. Assisted driving isn't as efficient as on a highway as there are multiple additional scenarios to address which is why they work much better when following another vehicle.

The changes I've mentioned adds Traffic and Stop Light Recognition so I guess yes it will improve semi-autonomous urban driving.

Good question on the hardware requirements. There were side radar hardware changes introduced with MY2020, but I'm hoping that existing MY2019 will also support these specific features.

Coding shows 2 requirements - DAP and build version 07/2020. This doesn't mean it won't be supported on earlier build vehicles, but they will need i-step 07/2020 - when I discovered and published the Assisted Driving View coding, it also stated a later build version (07/2019), but that coding was supported on earlier build cars as long as they had i-step 07/2019 or later.

We can but hope
It will be interesting to see where this goes. My X7, with a build date of Jan 2020, may have the "new" hardware based on what you said. It also came from the factory with the Driving Assistance Professional Package (which may be called something different in Europe or have slightly different hardware configurations) which has been advertised in the US as a semi-autonomous mode that is used on the highway - operating at highway speeds (Active Cruise Control) or in bumper-to-bumper traffic (Traffic Jam Assistant). Not what would be considered "secondary roads" here in the US based on what you are describing (i.e. your mention of roundabouts, etc). My X7 also came from the factory with Assisted Driving View enabled as well - I am assuming that is part of the Driving Assistance Professional Package.

That said, while playing with the Active Cruise Control system, I did try to get it to take an exit off the highway on to a secondary road. It got all sorts of confused trying to identify the off ramp, but ultimately did it based on my signal change inputs. It even joined the secondary road at the end of the off ramp too. But the system definitely did not feel "comfortable" with that transition.

Last edited by jmciver; 04-07-2020 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #1093
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
It will be interesting to see where this goes. My X7, with a build date of Jan 2020, may have the "new" hardware based on what you said. It also came from the factory with the Driving Assistance Professional Package (which may be called something different in Europe or have slightly different hardware configurations) which has been advertised in the US as a semi-autonomous mode that is used on the highway - operating at highway speeds (Active Cruise Control) or in bumper-to-bumper traffic (Traffic Jam Assistant). Not what would be considered "secondary roads" here in the US based on what you are describing (i.e. your mention of roundabouts, etc). My X7 also came from the factory with Assisted Driving View enabled as well - I am assuming that is part of the Driving Assistance Professional Package.

That said, while playing with the Active Cruise Control system, I did try to get it to take an exit off the highway on to a secondary road. It got all sorts of confused trying to identify the off ramp, but ultimately did it based on my signal change inputs. It even joined the secondary road at the end of the off ramp too. But the system definitely did not feel "comfortable" with that transition.
I use cruise with steering/lane control as close to 100% of the time I am driving as I can get. This is on all road types (rural, urban, highway, etc.) and it works very well. The auto lane change will work on some urban/city roads if they are marked in the navigation system as divided. The extended Traffic Jam Assistant however will only work on highways that meet the criteria.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #1094
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Have you tested lane change assist?

When I published this originally, it also needed:
42C1 (SAS)\C_SWA_VORHANDEN Enabled
Which ECU is this under? - BDC or HU_MGU ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #1095
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

I use cruise with steering/lane control as close to 100% of the time I am driving as I can get. This is on all road types (rural, urban, highway, etc.) and it works very well. The auto lane change will work on some urban/city roads if they are marked in the navigation system as divided. The extended Traffic Jam Assistant however will only work on highways that meet the criteria.
I have never got the traffic jam assist work. have you gotten it to work over the regular cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #1096
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I have never got the traffic jam assist work. have you gotten it to work over the regular cruise control.
I assume you mean extended TJA. Yes, I have used it many times and it works quite well. Once the conditions are met in regards to a qualifying highway (limited access, divided - generally Interstates) and speed (below 40mph) you will be presented with a third driving mode called Assisted Driving Plus (that is what extended Traffic Jam Assist is called in iDrive) and just need to hit the Mode button to activate it.

Here are a few pics I took of this happening in mine which is a 2019 so the 2020 presentation may be a little different.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 01:24 AM   #1097
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Which ECU is this under? - BDC or HU_MGU ?
Neither, it's SAS [42C1].

Lots of the self-drive codes are in SAS. Not sure if Bimmercode supports that ECU, probably not yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:28 AM   #1098
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Neither, it's SAS [42C1].

Lots of the self-drive codes are in SAS. Not sure if Bimmercode supports that ECU, probably not yet?
Any other information you can tell me on SAS and [42C1] ? - does it stand for something? ..sorry for the "dumb questions" .......

I haven't had a chance to test Lane Change Assist - since we're in partial lockdown here in Australia. We can still drive around, but only for valid reasons.

I've also managed to code Comfort Plus. Anyone know the difference between Comfort and Comfort Plus?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:04 AM   #1099
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Any other information you can tell me on SAS and [42C1] ? - does it stand for something? ..sorry for the "dumb questions" .......

I haven't had a chance to test Lane Change Assist - since we're in partial lockdown here in Australia. We can still drive around, but only for valid reasons.

I've also managed to code Comfort Plus. Anyone know the difference between Comfort and Comfort Plus?
No problem. Steering Angle Sensor.

It's been around for a long time and has kind of evolved beyond its original remit. It also has the settings for extended Traffic Jam Assistant for example.

I originally posted the coding for Comfort Plus last year and a number of users tested it. None of us could tell any difference to normal Comfort mode.

I seem to recall that the idrive graphic showed more dampening on the suspension but didnt seem to soften the ride.
Appreciate 2
TSMC55126.50
      04-08-2020, 04:13 AM   #1100
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No problem. Steering Angle Sensor.

It's been around for a long time and has kind of evolved beyond its original remit. It also has the settings for extended Traffic Jam Assistant for example.

I originally posted the coding for Comfort Plus last year and a number of users tested it. None of us could tell any difference to normal Comfort mode.

I seem to recall that the idrive graphic showed more dampening on the suspension but didnt seem to soften the ride.
Many thanks for that.

As it involves steering, it would probably be in the BDC ECU. What do you think?

I'll do a search for [42C1] SAS in the BDC ECU in the next few days...

In terms of Comfort Plus, I certainly noticed a difference between Comfort and Adaptive, I'll see if Comfort Plus makes a difference.

Some other threads call Comfort Plus "slushy mode" and makes the car float - that might happen with Air suspension, but I've got the Adaptive M Suspension, so it will be interesting to see if it softens any further.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 04-08-2020 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0