BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2022, 01:09 PM   #1
mopaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 BMW 330c1 BMW 328xi

Winter wheel and tire set choices?

Curious if anyone has bought/used the OEM 741 21 inch. winter tire set;

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/8...L-AND-TIRE-SET.

It looks like the only winter set offered for the X5 45e? The 748 is shown with all terrain tires for the 40i

Looking at getting an X5 45e hopefully before December and likely in early lower Midwest winter.

I do like the look of the 741s (despite the anticipated tire wear etc) and would end up with a second set of tires (all season or winters on a square 740 setup probably)

So I'm thinking if I get it with summer 741s I could hopefully find take off 740's before the weather gets bad.

Other option is order with 740's all seasons and source summer 741's for the spring.

There used to be an increase in the top speed limiter with sports package and staggered tires in the past. Is this still the case?

I don't think winter 741s are the best option…..

What do people think?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Whatever you decide, it's best to do it now...winter tires tend to be scarce sometimes starting as early as October, especially in certain sizes. You don't want to drive it in the cold, snowy weather with summer performance tires on it in the midwest US.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 07:32 PM   #3
Redroc86
Private
Rep
Drives: Z28; '23 45e

I went through the same decision. I ordered my 45e with the 741s. Based on the build date I'm figuring I will have it first week of October. I ended up changing my order to have the 740s. The performance tires are good at 45 degrees and above. I'm in the northeast and I felt I could see temps below that in short order after I had the car. I didn't want to scramble to get a tire and wheel setup right away. I like the look of the 741s, but tire selections are limited. I'm figuring the 740s with all seasons give me peace of mind from delivery until the spring, and then I can figure out my next move - if any!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 08:07 PM   #4
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I think 45F limit for summer performance tire is quite conservative. Here in SF bay, we do see below 45F winter evenings/nights often, and sometime can be as low as 35F for 1 weeks or so in a year. Winter is also our rainy season. No one here change tires for seasons. And I bet a good portion of luxury cars, where we don't lack here, have summer performance. We did very OK.
FiatLux11.50
      09-15-2022, 08:31 PM   #5
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Whatever you decide, it's best to do it now...winter tires tend to be scarce sometimes starting as early as October, especially in certain sizes. You don't want to drive it in the cold, snowy weather with summer performance tires on it in the midwest US.
Quote:
Speaks the truth. BUY this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 09:14 PM   #6
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Winter wheel and tire set choices?

I have a 45e slated for an October build and November delivery. Since I don't like the design/style of the Y spoke 21" wheels so I am getting the 20" M star spoke bi color wheels and will use those for winter. Eventually those will be fitted with Alpine 5 or similar tires.

I'm ordering 21" M double spoke bi color wheels with Michelin Pilots as found as stock for the X5M. Those will be my dedicated summer / performance wheels / tires.

It's the opposite of the path you are on but worth considering since you still have time to change your order. You can get by with the 20s for your first year even in the winter and then switch over. I don't say that "lightly" as all of my other vehicles have dedicated snow tires. I'm just not willing to toss out the all seasons day 1. As a double bonus I will get away from run flat tires across the board.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 09:36 PM   #7
ironside2018
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Speaks the truth. BUY this week.
Based on advice here, I just bought some 740 rims off eBay and Blizzak Lm001 RFTs from tire rack. These will be my winter set to swap out with my 741s when the weather turns...

Was surprised to see a lot of the tire choices are already back ordered.
Appreciate 1
bandersen586.00
      09-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

All-season tires are generally made all year. Summer performance tires get made in the winter for the next season and those lines tend to get changed over to making winter tires in the summer, and that year's first tires show up in early September. depending on how far from the factory they are and filling the supply chains. They stop making them by fall, and switch over to making summer tires again for the next season.

Tire rubber gets harder from the moment it comes out of the mold which is one reason you don't want old tires. You may sometimes see winter tires for a discount, but if you check, they're often from the previous year. If you drive a lot, the difference in hardness may not be a big deal, but if you don't IMHO, it's a false economy.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

$5K seems like a lot to drop on a wheel/tire set to slog through winter road conditions. I'd try to find some less expensive alloys that won't leave you crying when you slide into a curb and rash one.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 04:59 PM   #10
mopaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 BMW 330c1 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroc86 View Post
I went through the same decision. I ordered my 45e with the 741s. Based on the build date I'm figuring I will have it first week of October. I ended up changing my order to have the 740s. The performance tires are good at 45 degrees and above. I'm in the northeast and I felt I could see temps below that in short order after I had the car. I didn't want to scramble to get a tire and wheel setup right away. I like the look of the 741s, but tire selections are limited. I'm figuring the 740s with all seasons give me peace of mind from delivery until the spring, and then I can figure out my next move - if any!

I agree. This sounds like the best option for now. Winters would be great but all seasons have served me well so far with an E70. I wonder if the heavier hybrid G05 will feel different (increased momentum from the extra weight). Thanks to all the other folks who have chimed in as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 12:01 AM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

One hopes you never get into a really dicey situation, but if it does occur in snow or ice, you'll be glad you have a good set of studless winter tires. All it takes is once. If you encounter ice frequently, and they're allowed where you live, a studded winter tire might be even a better choice, but they can be a major pain on clear roads, and aren't allowed in many places.

It all depends on your level of risk tolerance, and if you're able to wait for better conditions, or need to go, regardless. Sometimes, ice can sneak up on you when you least expect it, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 12:22 AM   #12
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Go to 20 more options for snow tires
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #13
MoshiTo
Rep
Drives: Ford Edge

Hi Guys,
First time I have to but winter tires+rims as I usually have all seasons on my suvs, this time I have summer tires on 22 inches so I need some winter stuff without spending 4-5k if possible.

I’m looking at the second hand option, problem is I have no clue what would fit the car, are 19 inches too small? I found a set 255/50/19 which was previously used on a 2018 X5, would that fit?

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #14
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoshiTo View Post
Hi Guys,
First time I have to but winter tires+rims as I usually have all seasons on my suvs, this time I have summer tires on 22 inches so I need some winter stuff without spending 4-5k if possible.

I’m looking at the second hand option, problem is I have no clue what would fit the car, are 19 inches too small? I found a set 255/50/19 which was previously used on a 2018 X5, would that fit?

Thanks a lot!
Going to depends on your Brakes as well. Do you have the M Sport brakes?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:24 PM   #15
MoshiTo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggie View Post
Going to depends on your Brakes as well. Do you have the M Sport brakes?
Yes I have the M sport package (red caliber), I found a guy on facebook market with great reviews offering either 20 inches replica rims only, for 1100$ but have to mount the winter tires on top of it.
Or he is selling as well almost brand new 19 inches rims+tires (255/50/R19), for 1750$.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:45 PM   #16
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes I have the M sport package (red caliber), I found a guy on facebook market with great reviews offering either 20 inches replica rims only, for 1100$ but have to mount the winter tires on top of it.
Or he is selling as well almost brand new 19 inches rims+tires (255/50/R19), for 1750$.

19 won't fit because of m brakes. I have the same brakes and bought 20 inch wheels for winters few days ago. The initial couple of 20 inch wheels I selected won't fit because of the red calipers. The wheels need to have a certain offset. So if you get 20s just make sure they have enough clearance for the m brakes.

Last edited by X6ix GTA; 09-19-2022 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 07:03 PM   #17
MoshiTo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6ix GTA View Post
19 won't fit because of m brakes. I have the same brakes and bought 20 inch wheels for winters few days ago. The initial couple of 20 inch wheels I selected won't fit because of the red calipers. The wheels need to have a certain offset. So if you get 20s just make sure they have enough clearance for the m brakes.
Thanks man!
What a headache, between this and being able to find 22 inches summer tires in stock it’s a nightmare
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #18
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X6ix GTA View Post
Thanks man!
What a headache, between this and being able to find 22 inches summer tires in stock it’s a nightmare
Yep. I'd imagine a few folks struggle with this and opt for the 20" solely because of the headache of upkeep with the 22" in you live anywhere that has a proper winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 05:33 PM   #19
NorwegianBlue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 45e

I've always run summer tires during warmer weather, and even though we don't get much snow in Northern Virginia we do get cold weather, so I've always switched over to winter tires mounted on separate rims.

I'm going to do something a little different this year with the new 45e and its 21" summer tires.

I've read that the new category of all-weather tires, which bears the three-mountain and snowflake symbols, really can provide very good snow traction without many of the handling and wear compromises of winter tires.

So I bought a set of 734 19" rims and I plan to mount a set of all-weather tires on it, most likely a set of Michelin Cross-Climate 2s. I'm not sure i would do this in a really snowy environment, but I think it will work fine in my more mild climate. I suspect this could also be a realistic solution in snowier climates if winter tires sell out early this year.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 05:45 PM   #20
tantan911
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 40i

I got 21in M sport wheel with performance (summer) tires. I purchased today winter tires for 2800 CAD tax in Pirelli Scorpion 275/40/21 RF & 315/35/21 RF. I'm not worried about the rims since I got BMW coverage for the rims and tires if any scratches or breaks.

Buying new rims with winter tires from BMW with 10% discount for new owners will cost me 6500$ CAD

https://www.blackcircles.ca/en/tire/...sw-runflat-rft
      09-20-2022, 05:49 PM   #21
Aloux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x45e

Interesting, I am doing the same experiment this year with my Audi Q5 and the crossclimate 2. I live in the Philadelphia area. However, I will use them for the whole year. I am getting tired of changing my set of wheels before and after winter and the reviews of the crossclimates are really good at all temperatures and may be even safer than winter tires in dry and wet.

I have a x45e on order and I don’t know what to do yet. I am thinking waiting for the OEM tires to go down and then change them to all-weather. The all-weather should be even better in a few years. I don t feel motivated to buy another set of tires and wheels as I am going away from that on the Audi. My main concern with the x45e is the lack of space tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 09:42 PM   #22
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloux View Post
Interesting, I am doing the same experiment this year with my Audi Q5 and the crossclimate 2. I live in the Philadelphia area. However, I will use them for the whole year. I am getting tired of changing my set of wheels before and after winter and the reviews of the crossclimates are really good at all temperatures and may be even safer than winter tires in dry and wet.

I have a x45e on order and I don’t know what to do yet. I am thinking waiting for the OEM tires to go down and then change them to all-weather. The all-weather should be even better in a few years. I don t feel motivated to buy another set of tires and wheels as I am going away from that on the Audi. My main concern with the x45e is the lack of space tire.
Cross climate is basically all-season, right? All-season is a good compromise for most which don’t see extreme weathers. Or maybe I should be it is jack of all trade kind of tire. For your 45e, depending on option, you may already have all-seasons, if so no need to swap to another brand of all-season

The two set tire usage is really location dependent. For my example, SF Bay, and most of the non mountain part of CA, no one uses two set of tire. If we go to Tahoe for ski, we just carry chain or don’t go at all if weather become severe. Now for people live in Sierra, 3 hr away east, they all have 2 set of tires because winter snow is inevitable. My recommendation is to follow your location practice. If majority have winter set, there is a good reason for that.
Appreciate 0