12-31-2020, 12:15 PM   #67
BobTX10
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 G05, 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
$600 is laughable. Unless they are giving you $600 + the X5 temporarily until the new one WITH laser lights arrives.

I bought mine without laser lights knowing full well what I was missing. It was either a different color combo with lasers or the color combo I wanted without lasers. I did research (thanks to this forum) and figured the best option to get my cake and eat it too by doing a retrofit within the first 10 days. It's not that the standard lights have bad visibility, it's that the laser lights look SO MUCH better during the day and give the car a much nicer curb appeal. BMW putting those standard DRLs is one of the most pathetic cost saving measures I've ever seen. Lasers should have at least been standard on the M50i. People are spending $90k+ - so you should not be second guessing if an X5 or a VW Atlas is driving behind you at night.

I also had the anti-dazzle feature coded and I think this feature is very underrated (possibly because most U.S. cars don't even have it.)

So in my opinion, unless they are giving you the $600 + a temporary X5 loaner, I would reject the deal.
Was it hard to retrofit? Where did you end up getting the laser lights, eBay?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #68
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTX10 View Post
Was it hard to retrofit? Where did you end up getting the laser lights, eBay?
Not really. Local shop quoted me only $200 to swap them out, but there was a week wait, so I just did it myself.

Cost $200 to complete the coding, including anti-dazzle.

I found the lights on Ebay, they were like new. I also have a contact in Europe if you are looking for a pair. They sell them brand new for a fraction of the cost what you would typically pay from BMW. These are the same guys who did my coding. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal locally, I would have gone with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #69
Wosby
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 20 G05 40i - Searching

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Don't accept it.
91 E30 325iX - Stolen
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #70
Matt27
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I would take the new build slot in April. Just 4 months waiting.

You wanted laser lights. And not having them changes the look of your car. 600 £ doesn't compensate for that.

It is an expensive car and it should be exactly like you want it.

Ps there was a thread on this earlier. Laser lights where taken out of the visibility pack in the UK. Someone else had the same issue as you not having the laser light on delivery.
I suffered the same issue with my X5 45e and I think it’s my thread that’s referred to here.

I was massively frustrated at the time of collecting the vehicle (August), particularly as the dealer tried to fob me off and say they were laser lights!

I was in a slightly different position as my car is a company car. I was keen to get out of my Discovery Sport to save company car tax, so in the end I accepted an increase in my car allowance equivalent to the value of the visibility package and also ensured I had the P11d value corrected to reflect the lower build spec. I also recognised that insisting on a new vehicle would have resulted in a 6 month delay and the effective loss of other options I’d specified that were no longer available / more costly.

In the past 5 months I’ve not really missed the laser lights (mainly because lockdown means you don’t drive as much &#129315. The adaptive LED are adequate, although I’m not convinced the auto highbeam works well as people often flash me - a problem I’ve never had with my previous vehicles with auto high beam.

I have also found that both my headlights have condensation problems - I’m guessing this isn’t normal? (I’ve never had a car that has - except for a knackered old Vauxhall Nova!)

Overall, whilst I like the X5, I have found the build quality and ownership experience a bit shoddy - and that’s coming from someone who has owned an Alfa Romeo and two Land Rovers!
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      01-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #71
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt27 View Post
I have also found that both my headlights have condensation problems - I’m guessing this isn’t normal? (I’ve never had a car that has - except for a knackered old Vauxhall Nova!)
Don't know if it's normal, but my headlights have ice on the inside.. not very happy about it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #72
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

The dealer does not have to do anything other than to offer to adjust the price or cancel the deal with all monies refunded. Mistakes happen and/or errors are made.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:55 PM   #73
Matt27
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Don't know if it's normal, but my headlights have ice on the inside.. not very happy about it.
It can’t be normal I don’t think. One of my headlights is far worse than the other. Our other car doesn’t have the same issue and is parked next to the X5.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #74
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
I would take that picture and car to the dealer and have them fix it, unacceptable in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #75
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
The dealer does not have to do anything other than to offer to adjust the price or cancel the deal with all monies refunded. Mistakes happen and/or errors are made.
Well of course they don't HAVE TO - but are they willing to lose a customer and/or get negative publicity? Mistakes do happen, but this would be a deal breaker for a lot of people, including me.

A company never has to do anything when they make a mistake, unless the consumer is harmed in some way which can result in a legal battle.

If you order a hamburger with pickles and you don't get your pickles, you can ask for the money back or they can make you what you ordered. The restaurant is not OBLIGATED to do anything by law.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #76
BMWFLYNN
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: x5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
If BMW took this philosophy to be part of its brand, it wouldn't around in 10years.

Do it right, first time, every time.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #77
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
I would take that picture and car to the dealer and have them fix it, unacceptable in my opinion!
I sent the picture to the dealer (with a list of other problems), but haven't heard anything from them yet.
Appreciate 1