Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Saunders -

I have the same experience as you. The car does not stop except in limited circumstances which I have still not been able to identify the factors for.

It's a nice feature to have but not safe to use in US.
Thanks, Trojanlaw...I could be wrong but I thought I remember ifr saying that some users had reported it working well in the US? Perhaps "working" vs "being useable now" are two different things?

Previous Rides
2019 X7 / 2018 X5 / 2012 X5 / 2014 750xi / 2011 750Lxi / 2008 335xi
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #68
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunders17283 View Post
Thanks, Trojanlaw...I could be wrong but I thought I remember ifr saying that some users had reported it working well in the US? Perhaps "working" vs "being useable now" are two different things?
I was referring to the coding activating the feature.

I have no experience of the system working on any other car in any other region other than my own. I'm confident the coding is 100%, the rest is down to the software as is in i-step 07/2020.

Considering BMW haven't even released this feature yet, and only some EU countries seem to be on the list for 11/2020, it's very much 'use at your own risk'.

All I wanted to achieve from this exercise is to determine that the coding is solid, so that when it is released, we have options to:
1) activate in countries where not allowed due to regs but otherwise is fully functional
2) activate the feature retrospectively

I can imagine the BMW engineers reading this thread, holding their head in their hands and proclaiming 'no! it is not ready!'

Not rubbing it in, but in the UK it is a very usable comfort and safety feature even now. Just saying
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #69
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I was referring to the coding activating the feature.

I have no experience of the system working on any other car in any other region other than my own. I'm confident the coding is 100%, the rest is down to the software as is in i-step 07/2020.

Considering BMW haven't even released this feature yet, and only some EU countries seem to be on the list for 11/2020, it's very much 'use at your own risk'.

All I wanted to achieve from this exercise is to determine that the coding is solid, so that when it is released, we have options to:
1) activate in countries where not allowed due to regs but otherwise is fully functional
2) activate the feature retrospectively

I can imagine the BMW engineers reading this thread, holding their head in their hands and proclaiming 'no! it is not ready!'

Not rubbing it in, but in the UK it is a very usable comfort and safety feature even now. Just saying
ifr...this all makes perfect sense and is well understood. You've stated many, many times that this is not perfect (or even ready) yet.

I think at this time, it's maybe a good idea for all of those in the USA to start to work together to share our testing/findings? Thoughts Trojanlaw, mandomedic122 and any others?

Previous Rides
2019 X7 / 2018 X5 / 2012 X5 / 2014 750xi / 2011 750Lxi / 2008 335xi
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #70
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have had this active and coded since August.

Happy to share but there's not much more to say other than there's no consistency as to when the car will stop if at all at a red light. The lights are recognized regularly and the car notifies me when the light changes to green. If there is a car in front of me everything works seamlessly. The only issue that arises is when I am the lead car at a traffic light. Then you have to be extremely careful because you cannot count on the system to stop you. I have also discovered that if you are traveling at over 40mph, the system does not slow the car down in time if there is another car stopped at a traffic light in some situations. So be careful

It is a nice feature to have, however, it is far from ready for prime time in the US. I do not know if there are some features tied to the GWW space FSC. The other possibility is that it is a region coding that has not even activated in the US. Have fun playing with it but be very careful as it is not reliable to stop you at intersections.
      10-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #71
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Happy to share but there's not much more to say other than there's no consistency as to when the car will stop if at all at a red light. The lights are recognized regularly and the car notifies me when the light changes to green. If there is a car in front of me everything works seamlessly. The only issue that arises is when I am the lead car at a traffic light. Then you have to be extremely careful because you cannot count on the system to stop you. I have also discovered that if you are traveling at over 40mph, the system does not slow the car down in time if there is another car stopped at a traffic light in some situations. So be careful

It is a nice feature to have, however, it is far from ready for prime time in the US. I do not know if there are some features tied to the GWW space FSC. The other possibility is that it is a region coding that has not even activated in the US. Have fun playing with it but be very careful as it is not reliable to stop you at intersections.
If that's the case you should disable it and wait to retest with newer istep when available.

In fact if it's dangerous nobody should use it until safe to do so. The coding works, forget FSC discussions it's irrelevant, the feature just behaves differently in different regions because they are all different.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #72
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Also the aSLA turns off in school zones.
      10-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #73
RexDong
China
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:

The lead car won't stop, hasn't it reached the stop line recognized by the system? Because the traffic lights are too far away
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #74
RexDong
China
Rep

There is a problem. When I stopped the car on the parking line (there was a car in front), the dashboard showed that it was 50 meters away from the red light (as shown in the picture). When the red light changed to green, the dashboard There is no change in the traffic light, it is still a red light, and there is no reminder. Is this because it did not stop on the parking line that the system thinks?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #75
RexDong
China
Rep

as the picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:03 PM   #76
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichione View Post
How challenging was it to code, and do you have the instructions you followed? I've never done it before and am reluctant to try knowing the risks involved. But I'd really like ADV on my 2019 40i.
"How to FDL code Advanced Driving View on a G05 - very simple walkthrough

Lots of people want to learn how to code. The key is to do your own research from resources like this one:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=983245

After researching, you may be left with more questions and bewilderment at all of the options and acronyms: esys, psdzdata, ista, ista-p, launcher pro, ista-d, ista+, fdl, vo code, TAL, SVT, ECU, etc

The reality is you can break your car while coding. It takes a lot of effort to really break it to the point it needs to go into the shop, but the risk is there. I've made mistakes, everyone who has coded has made mistakes. Knowledge increases by fixing those mistakes.

That's the bad news. The good news is that to VO Code and FDL code, it's really simple. Read up on the concepts of VO Coding and FDL coding in the link I posted. Ignore all the other information for now. This post is only about FDL Coding as that covers all scenarios and offers the most flexibility.

Pre-reqs
Windows PC - I use Windows 10 x64 VM on MAC Fusion or Bootcamp
OBD-II to Ethernet cable
E-Sys 3.33.4
Esysx
psdzdata - currently at 07/2020.25 You need a version that is at least the same or newer than your car's i-step version. Some people also refer to this as the firmware version, or incorrectly as i-drive version.

Coding Steps for Advanced Driving View
  1. Connect OBD2 cable to car
  2. Start E-sys via Esysx
  3. Start Car engine or put car into Diagnostic mode
  4. Plug OBD2 cable into Ethernet Port and wait 1 minute
  5. Switch to Expert Mode-Coding in E-sys
  6. Click on the Connect Icon
  7. Target Selector: - choose the i-step that most closely matches your car version e.g. S18A_20_07_525. Under Interface, select 'Connection by VIN' If your VIN is not listed you have an issue. Usually wait longer, or check the PC network card is set to use TCP/IP 4 DHCP (not static), or cable not working, etc.
  8. Hit Connect button
  9. Under 'Vehicle Order' click on Read
  10. Under 'SVT Actual', click on Read (ECU)
    If it's the first time you have coded, right-click on ECU under the SVT tree and choose 'Read Coding Data'. Use Windows File Explorer to backup your CAF directory which by default is C:\Data\CAF
  11. Scroll Down until you find DKOMBI. Right-click and choose 'Read Coding Data' if not already done in step above.
  12. Expand the yellow CAFD_00004508_* folder, select and right-click on the CAFD_00004508_* and choose <SvtCompareView.edit.fdl.name>
  13. In the FDL editor search for and set the following codes:
    DKOMBI\CB_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS: aktiv [01]
    CB_PRESELECT_NAVI_ANSICHT_FZG_UMGEBUNG: aktiv [01]
    PIA_FZG_UMGEBUNG_FAS: aktiv [01]
    SICHT_ABSICHT_ENABLE: aktiv [01]
  14. Click on Save icon then hit the Back icon
  15. Back in SVT and with the CAFD_4508_* still selected, click on 'Code NCD'. Be careful not to click on the 'Code’ button. This isn't the end of the world but your coding changes wont be applied as it resets the module back to the car's factory default i.e. the state it was in before you started coding
    Never click on 'Code Default Values'!!! This restores it back to bare metal configuration i.e. before your car got configured to your spec in the factory
  16. Check the report - you may get 'Finished with warnings' which is OK, but check that the final report is green and a success. Red is a fail.
  17. Hit the Disconnect icon, stop the engine, and disconnect the cable
  18. Done!! Go into i-drive Car-Settings-Driver Assistance-Driving and marvel at your new Assisted Drive View checkbox. You can also set it to permanently on via the Display settings area.
"

This can also be achieved using Bimmercode expert mode.

Any queries there are plenty of coders who can help.
Thank you! I appreciate your help and thorough response. I've seen you comment on a few other threads in the past, and I appreciate your involvement in and willingness to help this community.

You mentioned Bimmercode in your response, and I saw you also responded to another thread in which I referenced a step-by-step tutorial for activating ADV via Bimmercode on a 2019 G05. For a new coder, do you foresee a possibility to 'break the vehicle' through Bimmercode? Specifically, if I carefully follow the instructions in that video to a T?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #77
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thank you! I appreciate your help and thorough response. I've seen you comment on a few other threads in the past, and I appreciate your involvement in and willingness to help this community.

You mentioned Bimmercode in your response, and I saw you also responded to another thread in which I referenced a step-by-step tutorial for activating ADV via Bimmercode on a 2019 G05. For a new coder, do you foresee a possibility to 'break the vehicle' through Bimmercode? Specifically, if I carefully follow the instructions in that video to a T?
I can't speak to the video, but these are up to 4 low risk codes in a relatively low risk ECU so while there's always risk in coding, bimmercode does help mitigate that risk.

I've never used BC, as I'm about code discovery and it's too limiting for my use case, but it's a tried and tested product by many on this forum.

I originally discovered and published the ADV coding, and it's definitely one of my lowest risk code set, but you ultimately have to take the responsibility for your own coding.

Try changing something out of the box with BC first, confirm it's worked, then do ADV. easy
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #78
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:

I can't speak to the video, but these are up to 4 low risk codes in a relatively low risk ECU so while there's always risk in coding, bimmercode does help mitigate that risk.

I've never used BC, as I'm about code discovery and it's too limiting for my use case, but it's a tried and tested product by many on this forum.

I originally discovered and published the ADV coding, and it's definitely one of my lowest risk code set, but you ultimately have to take the responsibility for your own coding.

Try changing something out of the box with BC first, confirm it's worked, then do ADV. easy
@ifr Makes sense, good advice. Thank you again, appreciate it very much!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:46 AM   #79
Baron G15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G15 8 Series, Audi Q8

Quote:
OK I know we have a few of these threads, but I wanted to do a quick review of the changes I've noticed in the UK.

I only got the upgrade today and have only driven a few miles but I noticed a few things.

At stock configuration:
- menu's changed for CarPlay and Android Auto - you can set a favourite key to take you to the main CarPlay/AA menu
- Apple Maps display in the HUD instead of iDrive when running. Google maps did not. Not tried any others yet.
- No Digital Key 1.5
- Couldn't spot any differences with cloud navigation as yet - maybe need some more miles on the clock
- No other assist feature changes

I coded a few things:
- Traffic Light Assistant is working and its really cool. Spots the camera at red/green 150 yards away and decreases the count as you approach. The graphic is displayed in the CiC and HUD. I haven't been able to test if it fully stops as yet as there was just too much traffic as I wasnt the lead car.

Note: this feature has been pushed back to 11/2020 i-step so I was surprised it worked.

- Digital key 1.5 - so close but its not working. The car thinks I have the feature but moans about connected drive needing to be updated. It also broke my Comfort Access temporarily. Looks like there is a migration process that needs to happen with the digital keys and I couldn't get the CD app to update. I'll have another go when I have more time.

- The car appeared to slow for raised manhole covers during road works. Well it definitely did slow and steered around them. I need to check on that to confirm it wasn't a fluke. This could be part of Urban Cruise Control, which I activated.

- There are some new features that look specific to motorway driving. I've attached some screenshots. They look interesting. Well, except for the no undertaking one

There's some bugs as well, but again I need more time to confirm.
I have a G15 8 series....The car just completed its OTA update today and is now running 07/2020.54
I had a number of features coded which have disappeared with the update (although ADV remains intact even though it didn’t come with the car) and I’m going to have them re-coded

I understand your view in regards to TRaffic Light Assistant, so I won’t ask any questions on that but, could you assist me with the following...I have circled a couple of the menu options that you have under speed assistant which I’m a little confused about.

There appears to be two speed thresholds above and below 40mph, and adaptive distance control....what BMW features do they relate to? Are those part of assisted lane change or urban cruise control function, or something separate to them?. Even when I had assisted lane change previously coded, these menu options weren’t present (Istep 11/19)

I’m going to have assisted lane change re-coded back into my car...will the circled speed and distance thresholds menu settings automatically appear (ie they form part of Istep 07/2020.54) or are these separate features that need to be individually switched on?

Finally, is urban cruise control a standalone feature, or is it a collection of these individual parameters....I ask because I use the assisted driving features a lot and I know that there have been improvements made to the way that the car handles bends (approach speed, radius analysis, position within the lane etc) all of which not only improve the quality of the feature but, also it’s safety....to gain the benefits of these improvements, do they need to be coded, or do they just form part of the 07/2020.54 software
Many Thanks
Jason
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #80
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron G15 View Post
I have a G15 8 series....The car just completed its OTA update today and is now running 07/2020.54
I had a number of features coded which have disappeared with the update (although ADV remains intact even though it didn’t come with the car) and I’m going to have them re-coded

I understand your view in regards to TRaffic Light Assistant, so I won’t ask any questions on that but, could you assist me with the following...I have circled a couple of the menu options that you have under speed assistant which I’m a little confused about.

There appears to be two speed thresholds above and below 40mph, and adaptive distance control....what BMW features do they relate to? Are those part of assisted lane change or urban cruise control function, or something separate to them?. Even when I had assisted lane change previously coded, these menu options weren’t present (Istep 11/19)

I’m going to have assisted lane change re-coded back into my car...will the circled speed and distance thresholds menu settings automatically appear (ie they form part of Istep 07/2020.54) or are these separate features that need to be individually switched on?

Finally, is urban cruise control a standalone feature, or is it a collection of these individual parameters....I ask because I use the assisted driving features a lot and I know that there have been improvements made to the way that the car handles bends (approach speed, radius analysis, position within the lane etc) all of which not only improve the quality of the feature but, also it’s safety....to gain the benefits of these improvements, do they need to be coded, or do they just form part of the 07/2020.54 software
Many Thanks
Jason
Interesting that ADV persisted. What i-step were you on previous to the OTA? Any major branch update should have wiped the ADV coding when DKOMBI was programmed and re-coded. So if you went from say 03/2020 to 07/2020 then you would have lost the coding. I have heard reports of DKOMBI not being upgraded as part of the 07/2020.x i-step upgrade and remaining on the previous version.

The second option for 40mph is for aSLA. So you can set a speed above/below the speed limit up to 40mph and then one for over 40 mph. I have +2mph up to 40mph and +5mph for >40mph. Keeps it within the tolerances for ACPO guidelines for speeding fines.

If you want auto lane change to persist post i-step upgrades, ask your coder to remove 8TR from your FA.

None of the options shown will appear on your vehicle even with i-step 07/2020, including the extra +/- mph option for aSLA, as they need specific coding beyond the default.

TLA requires UCC, which is part of SLA, which is part of DAP (5AU). You won't get UCC/TLA without coding, but there are improvements in Drive Assist in 07/2020 that do come as standard without coding.

Out of the available code-able options on 07/2020, for a UK car, I can recommend:
- TLA
- Emergency lane formation
- Automatic distance control
- the extra aSLA speed option, but this came with an earlier i-step

The no undertaking option is pants, and the highway exit assistant isn't ready for prime time.

Last edited by ifr; 11-02-2020 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #81
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting that ADV persisted. What i-step were you on previous to the OTA? Any major branch update should have wiped the ADV coding when DKOMBI was programmed and re-coded. So if you went from say 03/2020 to 07/2020 then you would have lost the coding. I have heard reports of DKOMBI not being upgraded as part of the 07/2020.x i-step upgrade and remaining on the previous version.

The second option for 40mph is for aSLA. So you can set a speed above/below the speed limit up to 40mph and then one for over 40 mph. I have +2mph up to 40mph and +5mph for >40mph. Keeps it within the tolerances for ACPO guidelines for speeding fines.

If you want auto lane change to persist post i-step upgrades, ask your coder to remove 8TR from your FA.

None of the options shown will appear on your vehicle even with i-step 07/2020, including the extra +/- mph option for aSLA, as they need specific coding beyond the default.

TLA requires UCC, which is part of SLA, which is part of DAP (5AU). You won't get UCC/TLA without coding, but there are improvements in Drive Assist in 07/2020 that do come as standard without coding.

Out of the available code-able options on 07/2020, for a UK car, I can recommend:
- TLA

The no undertaking option is pants, and the highway exit assistant isn't ready for prime time.
Thanks for the info, that gives me some clarity....I’ll ask the coder about the persistence of the ADV (it’s something you queried before, so I’ll find out).

I got the main enhancement I was looking for which was the upgrade to the digital voice assistant....I particularly wanted the ability to change drive modes (comfort to Sport plus) via voice activation.....interestingly, it works seamlessly for me....I had read on another thread that when you requested sport mode you had to confirm it on the idrive screen.....for me, it just switches (possibly the extra confirmation is a country specific requirement?)

I have some of the rules based features such as ...open a window at a location (not useful for me) and activation of seat heating based on temperature threshold.....I did NOT get the heated steering wheel activation based on temperature threshold.....do you have this? I’m assuming that I can get this coded.....

Anyways, thanks for your help...I’ll let you know how I get on. Need to go to the dealer tomorrow to get the fuel filler flap repaired which failed in the lock position.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #82
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info, that gives me some clarity....I’ll ask the coder about the persistence of the ADV (it’s something you queried before, so I’ll find out).

I did NOT get the heated steering wheel activation based on temperature threshold.....do you have this? I’m assuming that I can get this coded.....
I'd ask your coder to check what software version your DKOMBI ECU is on.

Yes, I have the heated wheel, passenger, and rear passenger seat rule activation. It's actually coding I discovered and published, and one of the only ones the kids actually care about
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #83
Baron G15
Private
Rep

Quote:

- TLA

Well, I can now answer the question about ADV....today’s OTA update to 07/2020.54 did indeed wipe my ADV....back in July if you recall BMW did an OTA....that one didn’t wipe the ADV, so I suspect that update didn’t upgrade the DKOMBI
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #84
RexDong
China
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I had a number of features coded which have disappeared with the update (although ADV remains intact even though it didn't come with the car) and I'm going to have them re-coded

I understand your view in regards to TRaffic Light Assistant, so I won't ask any questions on that but, could you assist me with the following...I have circled a couple of the menu options that you have under speed assistant which I'm a little confused about.

There appears to be two speed thresholds above and below 40mph, and adaptive distance control....what BMW features do they relate to? Are those part of assisted lane change or urban cruise control function, or something separate to them?. Even when I had assisted lane change previously coded, these menu options weren't present (Istep 11/19)

I'm going to have assisted lane change re-coded back into my car...will the circled speed and distance thresholds menu settings automatically appear (ie they form part of Istep 07/2020.54) or are these separate features that need to be individually switched on?

Finally, is urban cruise control a standalone feature, or is it a collection of these individual parameters....I ask because I use the assisted driving features a lot and I know that there have been improvements made to the way that the car handles bends (approach speed, radius analysis, position within the lane etc) all of which not only improve the quality of the feature but, also it's safety....to gain the benefits of these improvements, do they need to be coded, or do they just form part of the 07/2020.54 software
Many Thanks
Jason

- TLA

Hi,ifr

Is 8TR a National Version VO code? There is only 8AA National Version China in my configuration table.

My traffic light assist does not show the traffic light status when the vehicle is stationary. Is it because I am not close to the traffic light?

You are an expert in this area, thank you for answering our questions
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:19 AM   #85
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDong View Post
Is 8TR a National Version VO code? There is only 8AA National Version China in my configuration table.

My traffic light assist does not show the traffic light status when the vehicle is stationary. Is it because I am not close to the traffic light?

8TR is used globally to decode certain features. The key one I know about is auto Lane Change Assistant (SWA). With 8TR in FA it sets a few codes in 2 or 3 ECU to turn off SWA. Remove it, or FDL code, and the feature activates.

If the red-light is recognised and the car comes to a stop either automatically or through manual acceptance, then it should maintain monitoring of that same light. When it changes to green it will notify you to get going. If it doesn't do that, then it must a regional issue.

As an aside, green light notification works even if assisted driving is not active.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:54 PM   #86
RexDong
China
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

8TR is used globally to decode certain features. The key one I know about is auto Lane Change Assistant (SWA). With 8TR in FA it sets a few codes in 2 or 3 ECU to turn off SWA. Remove it, or FDL code, and the feature activates.

If the red-light is recognised and the car comes to a stop either automatically or through manual acceptance, then it should maintain monitoring of that same light. When it changes to green it will notify you to get going. If it doesn't do that, then it must a regional issue.

As an aside, green light notification works even if assisted driving is not active.
Thank you for your reply. I recently discovered that vehicles with 5au sold in China have added 8TT to decode SWA and adaptive distance. I am curious about what functions 8TR decodes.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 02:58 AM   #87
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I recently discovered that vehicles with 5au sold in China have added 8TT to decode SWA and adaptive distance. I am curious about what functions 8TR decodes.
Well, I've told you what 8TR impacts on a UK and some other region vehicles.

If you want to check for your own region, do a coding verification with and without it in FA, then winmerge compare the resultant fwl sets.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #88
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I've told you what 8TR impacts on a UK and some other region vehicles.

If you want to check for your own region, do a coding verification with and without it in FA, then winmerge compare the resultant fwl sets.
Does anyone know if the November update is out yet, and what it includes?
Appreciate 0