BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #1
ukk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive40i

Should I take up free PermaPlate exterior and interior protection on delivery?

I will be taking delivery of my CarbonBlack/IvoryMerino X5 this Friday and my CA said that they would apply PermaPlate protection on the exterior, and condition the Merino leather with PermaPlate LeatherGuard as a courtesy.

Should I ask them to go ahead, or should I decline and get the car detailed at a detail shop and maybe use a different leather conditioning product like Zaino etc.

This will be my first BMW, and though I am not OCD about keeping it super clean and shiny (will not go with ceramic coating or PPF), I do want to make sure this PermaPlate application will not end up ruining the brand new car as it will be detailed at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I would skip it. Looking at some reviews it is not worth it.
ukk61.00
      09-13-2022, 07:38 PM   #3
Gizmiester888
Private
Rep
Drives: Radpower Rover Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukk View Post
I will be taking delivery of my CarbonBlack/IvoryMerino X5 this Friday and my CA said that they would apply PermaPlate protection on the exterior, and condition the Merino leather with PermaPlate LeatherGuard as a courtesy.

Should I ask them to go ahead, or should I decline and get the car detailed at a detail shop and maybe use a different leather conditioning product like Zaino etc.

This will be my first BMW, and though I am not OCD about keeping it super clean and shiny (will not go with ceramic coating or PPF), I do want to make sure this PermaPlate application will not end up ruining the brand new car as it will be detailed at the dealership.

I would buyer beware that these types of things are never a courtesy. Probably a dealer add on hoping the buyer would miss the line item on a $80k car. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
ukk61.00
      09-13-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
ukk
Private
Rep

Thanks TurtleBoy and Gizmiester888 for the quick revert and for your suggestions. I have have directed my CA to skip the PermaPlate protection.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 04:42 AM   #5
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

This applies to paid for exterior/interior protection but in the UK some dealers are renowned for saying they've applied whatever protection they use, charging for it but NOT actually applying it. If they do actually apply it then it only lasts a few weeks because they never do any paint prep beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
This applies to paid for exterior/interior protection but in the UK some dealers are renowned for saying they've applied whatever protection they use, charging for it but NOT actually applying it. If they do actually apply it then it only lasts a few weeks because they never do any paint prep beforehand.
I think this is what happened with my wife's G30 back in 2020. the water never beaded or sheeted off like it does on my ceramic-coated G05 which was applied last year. (still performs well!) now that I know what a proper coating is supposed to do, we'll pass on the dealer offerings in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:03 AM   #7
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I think this is what happened with my wife's G30 back in 2020. the water never beaded or sheeted off like it does on my ceramic-coated G05 when it was applied last year. now that know what a proper coating is supposed to do, we'll pass on the dealer offerings in the future.
Sounds like it's not just the UK where things like this happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #8
ukk
Private
Rep

Looking at the PermaPlate site's product page, the focus is more on comprehensive packages and associated warranties rather than actual product details. I also see a special "DEALERS & AGENTS" tab, which suggests that it is geared more towards dealers, rather than end-customers.

I am glad that I asked my dealer to not go forward with the PermaPlate protection. Now, I can do my own research and get it detailed in a well-reviewed local shop, instead of getting tied to a particular product or my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:47 PM   #9
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

That product is absolute garbage, I had a dealer who would only sell cars with their version of the product. They finally removed the fee which was great since the product was useless.
Appreciate 0