BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #1
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Custom JL Audio10W6v3 Sub & VX600/1i Amp

Figured some of you might be interested in upgrading the under seat subs in the X5 with a 10" sub in a sealed box. All in the upgrade cost me about $3,000

When I first added it I wasn't really impressed but then I took the time to tune it with my computer and let it break in and it's freaking amazing!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-06-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Wow that looks fantastic. Is it easily removed if you need to fold the seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #3
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Wow that looks fantastic. Is it easily removed if you need to fold the seats?
Yes it's fully contained and can simply roll out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #4
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
Figured some of you might be interested in upgrading the under seat subs in the X5 with a 10" sub in a sealed box. All in the upgrade cost me about $3,000

When I first added it I wasn't really impressed but then I took the time to tune it with my computer and let it break in and it's freaking amazing!
Where did you connect the powered sub; tap into the sub cables under the front seat? Someone said there's no sub out for the B&W which seems odd otherwise I assume you'd use that, but I am by no means an expert in this area at all (honestly I only barely know what I'm talking about... I just wanna go boom on my boring ass commute).
      05-05-2021, 02:13 AM   #5
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
Where did you connect the powered sub; tap into the sub cables under the front seat? Someone said there's no sub out for the B&W which seems odd otherwise I assume you'd use that, but I am by no means an expert in this area at all (honestly I only barely know what I'm talking about... I just wanna go boom on my boring ass commute).
The sub isn't powered, I am running an amp, I grabbed a signal from the OEM sub under the driver's seat and it was enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The sub isn't powered, I am running an amp, I grabbed a signal from the OEM sub under the driver's seat and it was enough.
LOL tells you how much I know… I thought powered sub = amp, but now I realize that must mean you need to power it from the stereo. No wonder my searches have weird results… 😬
      05-06-2021, 01:52 AM   #7
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL tells you how much I know… I thought powered sub = amp, but now I realize that must mean you need to power it from the stereo. No wonder my searches have weird results… 😬
No you just take the low level signal and feed the amp which in turns powers my sub.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
No you just take the low level signal and feed the amp which in turns powers my sub.
Great job. Love your setup!
      05-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #9
MAWGinMD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 x45e

I'm considering this, but I'm worried it may be overkill:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-jLm189...10RG-W7AE.html

Any thoughts/experiences?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #10
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWGinMD View Post
I'm considering this, but I'm worried it may be overkill:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-jLm189...10RG-W7AE.html

Any thoughts/experiences?
It's over kill and will be really remove the usable space unless you never use the area back there. I wanted that look so I basically had it custom built to sit flush against the back seats so I could retain as much of a square space as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #11
MAWGinMD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 x45e

Quote:
It's over kill and will be really remove the usable space unless you never use the area back there. I wanted that look so I basically had it custom built to sit flush against the back seats so I could retain as much of a square space as possible.
I'm confused on the space comment...it's significantly smaller than what you put in? It doesn't need to be mounted: 4 small pieces of velcro or something similar will give it all the traction it needs to not slide, so I can pop it out instantly if needed.

On the overkill, that's my concern with a W7...I may have to keep the gain turned down so low there's no point in getting something like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:49 AM   #12
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWGinMD View Post
Quote:
I'm confused on the space comment...it's significantly smaller than what you put in? It doesn't need to be mounted: 4 small pieces of velcro or something similar will give it all the traction it needs to not slide, so I can pop it out instantly if needed.

On the overkill, that's my concern with a W7...I may have to keep the gain turned down so low there's no point in getting something like that.
Well it's 2" taller and 3" deeper and the angle isn't completed flush to the rear seat like mine so if you want it blocking the cargo cover and creating a void in the trunk that's all good. I preferred to have the area kept square. To each his own I guess. I preferred to make my installation clean and OEM looking as opposed to a big ole box thrown in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:52 AM   #13
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's the space my box takes up. If you place the JL box you listed you lose the cargo cover and the ability to access the spare tire / battery compartment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #14
iLovePho
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Very nice setup you have there I actually have an old 10W7 sitting in my basement and planned to sell it. But since the HK option was deleted from my G05 order, I may consider upgrading the speakers and doing a custom sub enclosure setup like yours since the HiFi system is a joke. That being said, it will be a lease and I'm not sure if I want to go down this path just yet....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #15
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLovePho View Post
Very nice setup you have there I actually have an old 10W7 sitting in my basement and planned to sell it. But since the HK option was deleted from my G05 order, I may consider upgrading the speakers and doing a custom sub enclosure setup like yours since the HiFi system is a joke. That being said, it will be a lease and I'm not sure if I want to go down this path just yet....
Thanks! I was really going for a clean OEM look. The entire box can be flipped / rolled out of the way and / or removed easily if you're leasing.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #16
TFresh47
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 m50i

Quote:

Quote:

Is this a shallow mount sub?
To save the depth you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:19 AM   #17
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFresh47 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

It's is not, I used up every inch in that box.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #18
TFresh47
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 m50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ok gotcha
So what's the what's the total depth of your box?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #19
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:

This looks awesome! Very clean. Is the box full custom, or prefab and would you mind sharing the dimensions of the box? Also, did you say you can easily take it out if you want to fold the seats? If so how are you doing power disconnects?

And totally agree about tuning. It means more than raw amp power. You can have overkill components with 4000 w power and it can still sound like shit if you don't tune it right.

TIA

Last edited by 5pacey; 10-16-2021 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:21 AM   #20
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok gotcha
So what's the what's the total depth of your box?
7" at the top and 13" at the bottom
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:24 AM   #21
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
This looks awesome! Very clean. Is the box full custom, or prefab and would you mind sharing the dimensions of the box? Also, did you say you can easily take it out if you want to fold the seats? If so how are you doing power disconnects?

And totally agree about tuning. It means more than raw amp power. You can have overkill components with 4000 w power and it can still sound like shit if you don't tune it right.

TIA
Full custom. I don't have quick disconnects, I roll it forward if I need more space, if I need even more space I take my truck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #22
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

Very slick. More pics on the fabricator's FB page here:

Extreme Audio Systems

It's a shame he's in Hawaii. Wonder what shipping to the mainland would cost?
Appreciate 0