BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Panel Gap Difference

After having my car for about 6 weeks, though I thought I checked this car over for uneven panel gaps, I spotted the attached two where the rear upper (body colored) spoiler meets near the top of the D pillar. When looking down from above at the body gap along the top of liftgate at the roofline from above, the gap is also uneven.
Right side has a much larger gap than the left (drivers) side. Yet the panel gaps elsewhere from the lower black part of spoiler down to the lower liftgate are fine on both sides.
Now that I've seen it, its hard to overlook. I do know that the liftgates are installed prior to painting by laser guided robots. Guess they were taking a nap when my car went through. And obviously human quality control was asleep with their gap tolerance checks.
Has anyone noticed a gap problem with their cars?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

Sorry to hear. Will you raise this issue with the dealer, who should be able to realign the roof spoiler?

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4 View Post
Sorry to hear. Will you raise this issue with the dealer, who should be able to realign the roof spoiler?
I believe its the upper liftgate that needs realigning. The spoiler looks like its correctly situated. I tried to remove the top body colored part of the spoiler to have a look, but even though I followed the service manual and removed the 4 torx screws which loosens the top part, there are supposedly 2 clips that are holding it in place and they didn't seem like they wanted to let go. I was afraid the spoiler would break so I buttoned it back up.
Maybe I'll see what the dealer has to say when I go in for the 1200 mile service. I had a similar issue with my old 2014 Grand Cherokee and the dealer sent it to an outside body shop and they adjusted the liftgate. That may be what they will suggest.
Oh well, certainly not the worst thing.
Appreciate 0