05-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Painting the existing X5 40i badge

Hey Guys,

I plan on removing the badges off of my car and then sanding them off and repainting them to a black finish and then putting them back on. Shouldn't take more than an hour to do the entire thing.

Just 1 question - any idea on what grit sand paper should I use to remove the chrome and any recommendations on the kind/type of black paint and clear coat that I should use?

I just received the black badges for X5 40i from eBay and they are smaller than the OEM badges that we have on the car (I bought them knowing this). However what disappointed me was that the X is just standard and not in the Italic style as the OEM X is - same with the 40i as well. Disappointed totally.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
punknart
Rep
Drives: X5

Why dont you use Plastidip. You dont need to take off the original badges.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by punknart View Post
Why dont you use Plastidip. You dont need to take off the original badges.
That is my last option. Have never done it though from the DIY videos it seems pretty easy. I wanted to paint them assuming that that is a longer lasting solution rather than plastidip, no?

Is there any prep required for plastidip?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
punknart
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
That is my last option. Have never done it though from the DIY videos it seems pretty easy. I wanted to paint them assuming that that is a longer lasting solution rather than plastidip, no?

Is there any prep required for plastidip?

Is quite easy and it could last a lot. I once painted my old MB A45 Amg brake calipers and they lasted like 5 years. Badges should last forever.

The prep is easy as well. You just need to clean up the dust and grease and then apply the coats (usually 4-5), let it dry and thats it. There is no risk at all and as I said before, you keep the original badges. So once you get tired of the colour, you just remove it.

Watch youtube videos, they explain it very well.

I will paint my X5 calipers, mirrors and front grill with plastidip. Is a waste of money to buy a new grill or mirror caps.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #5
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by punknart View Post
Is quite easy and it could last a lot. I once painted my old MB A45 Amg brake calipers and they lasted like 5 years. Badges should last forever.

The prep is easy as well. You just need to clean up the dust and grease and then apply the coats (usually 4-5), let it dry and thats it. There is no risk at all and as I said before, you keep the original badges. So once you get tired of the colour, you just remove it.

Watch youtube videos, they explain it very well.

I will paint my X5 calipers, mirrors and front grill with plastidip. Is a waste of money to buy a new grill or mirror caps.
Yes, I looked it up on Youtube this past weekend and that is the route i am going.
Appreciate 0