Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
For $20k more, the MB should have a lot more wow factor. Just too much to spend for this type of SUV, imo.

And comparing a hybrid to the BMW is just plain stupid. Why???

Despite being a hybrid it actually gets less mpg. I don’t know why anyone would buy a MB over a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
For $20k more, the MB should have a lot more wow factor. Just too much to spend for this type of SUV, imo.

And comparing a hybrid to the BMW is just plain stupid. Why???

Despite being a hybrid it actually gets less mpg. I don’t know why anyone would buy a MB over a BMW.
I've seen you say this before. What GLE are you comparing to which X5. I crossed shopped the X5 40i Msport with similarly spec'ed GLE 450 and the MB is only a couple grand more. Given the 450 has 30 more HP, the little extra in cost is justified.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I've seen you say this before. What GLE are you comparing to which X5. I crossed shopped the X5 40i Msport with similarly spec'ed GLE 450 and the MB is only a couple grand more. Given the 450 has 30 more HP, the little extra in cost is justified.
In this video the MB was $98k and the BMW was in the $70s....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
In this video the MB was $98k and the BMW was in the $70s....
Yeah but she's made similar comments before this video. It's obvious in the video that this guy is comparing a fully loaded GLE450 with a very modest 40i build. That's the reason for the difference in price. A comparable build for MB vs BMW will not be a difference in $20k. Should be within a few thousand of each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #6
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When I shopped MB, to get a similar price I had to go down to the smaller suv size. And it still started at $80k. I’m sorry I don’t know all the model numbers, but most companies have SUVs in three or four sizes. I wanted the largest one I could get. Short of a navigator.

I didn’t really have a budget and could spend as much as I wanted, but $80k + gave me a big pause. I drove the X5 after the MB and loved it so much I decided on the spot to buy one. I think the BMW’s are an excellent value, particularly compared to MB SUVs.

I also wanted a car that did NOT have a useless third row seat. The ONLY cars in this size were the Lincoln nautilus and X5. All others had third row seats that were not optional.

Yesterday we drove 13 hours to Atlanta in the X5. I had a lot of stuff to pack (for my daughter’s wedding next weekend) and was concerned about the cargo space, but we had room to spare.

I even got the go**am nav to work, sort of. Still like my tomtom better.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
When I shopped MB, to get a similar price I had to go down to the smaller suv size. And it still started at $80k. I’m sorry I don’t know all the model numbers, but most companies have SUVs in three or four sizes. I wanted the largest one I could get. Short of a navigator.

I didn’t really have a budget and could spend as much as I wanted, but $80k + gave me a big pause. I drove the X5 after the MB and loved it so much I decided on the spot to buy one. I think the BMW’s are an excellent value, particularly compared to MB SUVs.

I also wanted a car that did NOT have a useless third row seat. The ONLY cars in this size were the Lincoln nautilus and X5. All others had third row seats that were not optional.

Yesterday we drove 13 hours to Atlanta in the X5. I had a lot of stuff to pack (for my daughter’s wedding next weekend) and was concerned about the cargo space, but we had room to spare.

I even got the go**am nav to work, sort of. Still like my tomtom better.
Not trying to sell GLE's here - but the GLE's 3rd row is optional and the starting price is 56k for the 350 (not sure why anyone would buy this one, though b/c the engine is underwhelming) and 61k for the 450. Sounds like you may have been comparing the Mercedes GLS (their flagship SUV) with the X5, when a more appropriate comparison would be to the X7.

The GLE 450 compares very favorably with the X5 40i. Cost wise and option wise. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. It all comes down to preference.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Not trying to sell GLE's here - but the GLE's 3rd row is optional and the starting price is 56k for the 350 (not sure why anyone would buy this one, though b/c the engine is underwhelming) and 61k for the 450. Sounds like you may have been comparing the Mercedes GLS (their flagship SUV) with the X5, when a more appropriate comparison would be to the X7.

The GLE 450 compares very favorably with the X5 40i. Cost wise and option wise. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. It all comes down to preference.
I agree. After driving one MB and hating it, I never looked into MBs further. This video was very informative and next car I might take a harder look at them. Even a certified used might be a good option in the future.

I wanted a luxury suv, did no research, drove three cars and choose the bmw. Even after months of research, I still think I made the best choice.

Usually, car shopping is kind of a nightmare. In four years, when my warranty is up, I’ll be much better informed about cars in this class, and what will work best for me long term!

I really appreciate ALL of the input here. It has really helped me understand the issues, big and small.
Appreciate 0