nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKBSY8 View Post
Bought something like this from Amazon planning to ditch the charging tray forever !!
i stopped using the wireless tray within a week of getting my car and currently use a mounted MagSafe setup...no overheating no matter what apps i use. just note, if you get the battery charging icon (as seen in your photo) instead of the circular MagSafe charging icon, you aren't getting the full 15W MagSafe charging speed (12W for iPhone 12 mini). it could be the charger, the USB connection (whether using the built-in ports or 12V adapter), or both.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #46
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Bought something like this from Amazon planning to ditch the charging tray forever !!
i stopped using the wireless tray within a week of getting my car and currently use a mounted MagSafe setup...no overheating no matter what apps i use. just note, if you get the battery charging icon (as seen in your photo) instead of the circular MagSafe charging icon, you aren't getting the full 15W MagSafe charging speed (12W for iPhone 12 mini). it could be the charger, the USB connection (whether using the built-in ports or 12V adapter), or both.

Ohhhhhh noted, it claims is designed for iPhone 12 so let see once I get them but I'll keep that in mimd. If thing don't work accordingly then I can alway return it.
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 06:49 AM   #47
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

I dont know if its been covered but i have a IP12 mini and even after an hour the increase in charge is marginal, however as with other its the heat thats a problem.

I use a usb c cable and it charges 100 times fast with no heat, but this is my question.

The pad has other benefits by boosting external antenna connection etc, so can i disable the charging aspect of the pad leaving the other benefits ?

find it crazy we are looking for a work arround for something thats the latest tech......never mind the fact that its almost a £500 option.....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 06:59 AM   #48
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm no expert on its wiring, but I assume one can physically disable the charger but keep both NFC and LTE booster capabilities intact. that's how current models are coming to market; they're still able to use Digital Keys and key cards despite no wireless charging.

I've seen no ability to code it out, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #49
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

I thought so too , i'm in an 21 x3 but i am sure the pad etc is the same idea (the common problems are)

Just wonder if its a coding change or as simple a pulling a fuse.....

Its annoying because its were i would naturally throw my phone when i get in the car but don't because ofthe issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #50
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I’m sure all this heat shortens the life of the battery too.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #51
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I've ask the bmw genius while my car is in service. There is no way to turn off the charging pad/tray via iDrive option. This is just the way how the vehicle was designed. I'm guessing to disable it, we might have to open the center console to unplug it or you know; "hack" it. Other than that……….I guess just avoid using it possible especially when using any of the gps apps..
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:22 AM   #52
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
one can easily place a thick layer or pad to block the charging coils. I believe >6mm would suffice. just unclear how that would affect NFC/LTE boost.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #53
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

All our phones and my boy's iPad get hot even with cables, USB or USB-C. One would expect something like this would have been corrected by now.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 08:35 PM   #54
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

CPU intensive apps on any computing device can require significant amounts of power...work any battery hard, and it gets warm/hot...throw in trying to recharge it at the same time, and it gets hotter. Mapping programs that don't have cashed map data also means the cellular connection is working overtime downloading lots of data. Even though you're downloading, it's still a two-way data street for the negotiation of that data, so then you have the cellular hit as well.

If you want to use a mapping program, you might want to look into trying to cache up the data while home for your area so it minimizes the data flow. Same thing with a music service...downloading it will make things hotter than if it's internal already.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #55
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have not had the issues noted in this thread. I used Waze on two recent 12 hour trips with the phone in the wireless charger and had no problems.
I have an iPhone case that is designed to support wireless charging so that may help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:29 PM   #56
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have not had the issues noted in this thread. I used Waze on two recent 12 hour trips with the phone in the wireless charger and had no problems.
I have an iPhone case that is designed to support wireless charging so that may help.
Do u mind testing it out with google map next time when u get a chance ?
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #57
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah wireless charging tray and google map (or any gps apps) don't work well together. Now a day, if I know I need to use the google map, I will use the usb c to charge my phone. Other time, I will just use the charging tray of as phone storage and charging.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ohhhhhh noted, it claims is designed for iPhone 12 so let see once I get them but I'll keep that in mimd. If thing don't work accordingly then I can alway return it.

So I was on a road trip and been using the charger I got and google map at the same time. The charger I got works in this case. No overheat issue, does charge the phone fast(15w) as it stated. I'm guessing these type of charger works. Not to mention is directly in front of the vent blowing cold Air. Phone will never overheat

One thing tho……I can't close the cup holder cover ever………. :
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 10:59 PM   #58
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I was on a road trip and been using the charger I got and google map at the same time. The charger I got works in this case. No overheat issue, does charge the phone fast(15w) as it stated. I'm guessing these type of charger works. Not to mention is directly in front of the vent blowing cold Air. Phone will never overheat

One thing tho……I can't close the cup holder cover ever………. :
great!

just need a low-profile 12V adapter, but obviously can't close the cup holder cover while the charger is in use unless you plug into the USB-C port in the central compartment (dunno if that's enough juice for 15W charging power, though).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:32 PM   #59
alexmish1
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive 40i MSport

So I've been fighting this issue for the past couple of weeks, and I think I know what is going on. I have 2024 X5.

Unless you have eSim enabled (I don't), the car will use your cell phone to get all kind of data it needs for the Navigation system (even if you don't use in-built NAV). If you go into Navigation/Settings/Configure Services, see what you have enabled to receive (it will come via your cell phone) - for example, Traffic Info, Map Updates, Suggested Destinations, etc. I've disabled them all (I use Waze anyway), and now the phone seem to stop overheating and actual gains some charge in the wireless charger.

P.S. I noticed high cellular data consumption and started to chase that avenue, and that is how I came across this. When your phone is using lots of cellular data, it will get hot (overheating might have nothing to do with the wireless charging, my phone was overheating even when using cable to charge)
Appreciate 1
SKBSY885.00
      03-12-2024, 04:02 AM   #60
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
I was driving today while the phone is on the wireless charging tray and using Google maps..........oh boy 20 mins later I got this message “Temperature, iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it” I’m like I heard about overheat issue when I first received the car (2019) and thought the update would’ve fix the issue..... guess not. man I shouldn’t run Google map while the phone is on charging tray, I should know better but but..... . Folks out there just a heads up.

I have iPhone 12 Pro running on latest firmware 14.4.2 and G05 is on 11/2020.50
For whatever reason when the charge pads are low wattage It makes the phone overheat
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:20 AM   #61
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmish1 View Post
So I've been fighting this issue for the past couple of weeks, and I think I know what is going on. I have 2024 X5.

Unless you have eSim enabled (I don't), the car will use your cell phone to get all kind of data it needs for the Navigation system (even if you don't use in-built NAV). If you go into Navigation/Settings/Configure Services, see what you have enabled to receive (it will come via your cell phone) - for example, Traffic Info, Map Updates, Suggested Destinations, etc. I've disabled them all (I use Waze anyway), and now the phone seem to stop overheating and actual gains some charge in the wireless charger.

P.S. I noticed high cellular data consumption and started to chase that avenue, and that is how I came across this. When your phone is using lots of cellular data, it will get hot (overheating might have nothing to do with the wireless charging, my phone was overheating even when using cable to charge)
Try to test it out with google maps with at least 1-1.5 hour drive next time when u get a chance.

I’m going to try myself as well since my connected drive service expired and I no long have traffic info, map updates etc.. assuming you are referring to the nav within iDrive. I’m wondering if it will be the same or not: no service vs actually turning them off.

Appreciate the input.
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:34 AM   #62
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max (large phone) in an Apple silicon case. I use the charging tray all the time and generally use the BMW built in maps for directions because of the HUD integration. I haven’t had any heat build up issues but I haven’t taken a trip that was more then an hour long yet. In a few weeks I’m traveling up to Chicago for a wedding, I’ll see if a more extended period makes any difference.
I do the same as I feel BMW map are equally as good as, if not better than google, apple, etc. I do have WAZE on in the background, but no routing. I have taken 3 - 4 hour trips with no overheating. I have a Xs Max with a silicone case as well. The phone does get a bit warm, but not hot and it certainly does not overhear or stop working.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:10 PM   #63
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

This is a heck of an issue with these wireless charger...phone shutdowns...I am reading and learning how to mitigate based on these posts...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:22 PM   #64
Gdwheel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

I have an iPhone 15 pro max and a Galaxy S24 ultra. The iPhone overheats like crazy. No issues with the S24. It is something with the wireless charging pad and the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 07:07 AM   #65
alexmish1
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmish1 View Post

I did a few drives yesterday with the all options in NAV/Seetings/Configure Services set to OFF, and can confirm the phone no longer gets very hot. It does get slightly warm. It even managed to gain +3% of battery level over 15 mins of driving (using Waze).

In general, my phone gets hot when it is attempting to receive or transmit lots of data over cellular connection, and the signal is average and below. It has little to do with wired or wireless charging (I use the same magsafe charger at nightstand and the phone does not get warm nor hot when charged there). So, IMHO, it is the car's demand on data transmission needs, not the wireless charger (but then at home my phone is on WiFi)

My next experiment will be to change Cellular Data Options / Data Mode from "standard" to "low data mode" to see if further helps to improve with the heating without affecting Waze.
Appreciate 0