BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
cehsirop
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Question DIY ceramic coating on new build

I'm interested in DIY ceramic coating. I understand it can be a rather intensive process, but is that workload cut down if you do it on a brand new car? I'd consider driving home from dealer and then immediately prepping/coating in my garage. Any suggestions for DIY kit or is it just a waste and necessary to have done professionally?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
CheesyPeas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 45e

I did exactly that with my X5. The paint finish was pretty good already so spent a good day cleaning, clay bar, cleaning and drying.
Then used a gtechniq ceramic coating and exo on top with qtechniq C5 on the wheels.
Thoroughly enjoyed the 2 days over the weekend warm...ish weather and took my time. I applied the product with some lint free applicator pads and a couple of decent microfibre cloths to buff off.

Cost of the product was around £125 (UK) and very happy with the results....

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I recommend looking into the Carpro UK 3.0. It's a DIY kit, pretty easy to use and offers great protection.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

I too did it myself upon (actually prior to) delivery at the dealership. I used CarPro CQuartz (4th BMW which I've coated with it, so comfortable with the product/process). Key is to not shortcut any of the preparation steps, except paint correction (polishing) if the finish is flawless. Any blemishes existing when the coating is applied will remain until the coating wears off or is sanded away. Another key step is thoroughly inspecting and buffing the finished work for any "high spots" (plenty of how-to videos out there); a powerful LED work light is highly recommended if not inspecting outdoors in bright sunlight.
Appreciate 1
Russ103308.00