BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

M50i N63B44T3

Cheers...such a good sunny day today in NJ. LOL.

Last edited by MOTOP; 05-02-2021 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I was always a "buy guy" in the past, but because I consistantly changed them, I started leasing my last few cars.

A few beneifts:

-You can upgrade to a new car every few years - potentially even faster depending on dealership.
-You only pay for the depreciation, which you would do anyway whether you lease or buy. With buying, you are just adding more equity payments on top of the appreciation which results in a higher monthly payment most of the time.
-You still have the option to buy that same car that you bought brand new after you're done leasing, so essentially you will just have more choices and will make up the equity payments on the backend instead of the front end.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 06:39 AM   #3
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So sad that nobody would vouch for this engine long-term.
Either this is a ‘no issue’ or indeed ‘no trust’.

No point in keeping the car then.
Those with N63B, obviously, do love high torque.
And in 3 years N63 will be left in the dust by upcoming iX.

Lease it is then.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I love the character of this engine, it adds a refined hot rod vibe to the car. I think the N63 is on its 3rd update. I'm not worried about it but the jury is out on long term reliability for this iteration. If I keep the car beyond the warranty period, I'll do an extended warranty through USAA.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

After speaking at great length with the folks at Burger tuning, they were impressed with the new engine. Many, if not all, of the common issues with previous years' N63s have been resolved.

Over 1 year.... over 15k miles.... the last 5k+ miles I've been tuned to 690 hp. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. In fact, I just did an oil change 2 weeks ago, and it didn't lose or burn a drop in 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

That is good to hear! About to pick up an M50i and all of the posts about reliability (albeit on previous versions) still had me thinking twice.
      03-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
After speaking at great length with the folks at Burger tuning, they were impressed with the new engine. Many, if not all, of the common issues with previous years' N63s have been resolved.

Over 1 year.... over 15k miles.... the last 5k+ miles I've been tuned to 690 hp. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. In fact, I just did an oil change 2 weeks ago, and it didn't lose or burn a drop in 10k miles.
Thank you for your input, sir.
My M50i order is in. And looking at the latest “electric beauty”, this would be a factor on the final choice buy/lease.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:51 AM   #8
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I got a m50i and plan to keep it for 10yr. To cover the potential issues of the N63, I got extended warranty to 7yr and set aside few $ every yr for repair after the 7th yr.
Also, my milage is relatively low. My last car served me 10yr/100k km.

I didn't tick all the option boxes when I ordered car, but I insisted on the V8 TT engine because no replacement for displacement. So fingers crossed, because that V8 puts a smile on my face every time I push that start button.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #9
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
I got a m50i and plan to keep it for 10yr. To cover the potential issues of the N63, I got extended warranty to 7yr and set aside few $ every yr for repair after the 7th yr.
Also, my milage is relatively low. My last car served me 10yr/100k km.

I didn't tick all the option boxes when I ordered car, but I insisted on the V8 TT engine because no replacement for displacement. So fingers crossed, because that V8 puts a smile on my face every time I push that start button.
Sounds like a good play going for the V8 engine which totally changes the vehicle. I love my '21 M50i with only a wheel and carbon fiber interior trim option as this level of X5 comes with all the stuff I would actually use and then some. No sense paying for a bunch of soft ball fluff that might return 5 cents on a dollar in 18-24 months when I move on to something else.
I wonder with the pace at which technology is changing our vehicles if you will actually hold on to your X5 for a full 10 years even with the low mileage expectation.
Best of luck to you with your M50i and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 07:17 AM   #10
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
...I wonder with the pace at which technology is changing our vehicles if you will actually hold on to your X5 for a full 10 years even with the low mileage expectation...
You might. If you're old.
Gotta stop at some point looking for those shiny new toys.
Gotta be an old fart. Trust me, you'll be in that camp sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #11
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
You might. If you're old.
Gotta stop at some point looking for those shiny new toys.
Gotta be an old fart. Trust me, you'll be in that camp sooner or later.
LOL, I'm 65 and turn vehicles over faster now than I ever have, never kept a vehicle more than 3 years and that was due to lease contracts. Save the "shiny new toy" lecture for penny pinchers and the Hyundai crowd as it won't fly well with guys who are passionate about this stuff.
I'll be taking on a 992S soon as a 3rd vehicle and will probably flip that for a CPO 992 Turbo 12-18 months later.
I'll check out before I lose the spirit for this stuff. Some guys drink, gamble, take drugs, while some of us do one vehicle after another. It is truly a wonderful addiction.
Appreciate 3
MOTOP252.50
Mtn2Srf282.00
Swappy531.50
      04-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #12
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

God bless !
Wonderful addiction indeed.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:44 AM   #13
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Sounds like a good play going for the V8 engine which totally changes the vehicle. I love my '21 M50i with only a wheel and carbon fiber interior trim option as this level of X5 comes with all the stuff I would actually use and then some. No sense paying for a bunch of soft ball fluff that might return 5 cents on a dollar in 18-24 months when I move on to something else.
I wonder with the pace at which technology is changing our vehicles if you will actually hold on to your X5 for a full 10 years even with the low mileage expectation.
Best of luck to you with your M50i and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Planning to keep mine for 10+ yrs also. I just drive it on weekends or long drives. I feel X5 already has too much technology & electronic components. I just want a nice balanced decent fast car where I can focus just on driving. Plus a nice audio too.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:54 AM   #14
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Hello everybody.
I’ve had 4 “X”s since early 2000’s.
Last two are 2013 X5 xDrive 50 and the current one 2016 X6 F16.
Funny, i even have a VIN for 2013 E70 one that i had traded in for F16 - 5UXZV8C51DL899064. Beautiful car...attaching one of the early pics.
I did change those ugly wheels for black ones and it looked even better.
I hope that some lucky one is driving it and his/hers N63 is still alive.

So...yes, back then N63 was in the news. BMW was forced to take care of them bypassing the official recall i think. They had to examine all cars with this engine and do any repairs. Mine was in scope before i bought it. What the hell did they do - i don’t know. My wild guess is NOTHING. But they put some checkbox and sold it as a certified one.
I bought mine with some 10k miles.
It drove like heaven comparing to my F16. Fast, beautiful sound of a V8, quiet.
These I6 engines are nothing like it. Just noise with no power. A Prius can be faster at the traffic light. Sport mode or not.
Jokes aside, i guess i can compete with Prius. But still somehow embarrassed by this roaring I6 engine sound.

[Attaching a pic of my X6...brembos, CF, etc. it’s a beauty outside.]

My F16 didn’t come cheap. Almost 85k. I clicked on every goddamn thing except DHP and BoW sound. Do i regret not selecting DHP? Yes. But it would not have made it V8-like anyway.

Seats in F16? Garbage comparing to what i had in my E70. They both have those million buttons, thigh support, etc.

I am not a big guy. Seats were good for my size. But damn it, i could get my seat in E70 so comfortable...beyond belief. Still remember it after 5+ years. It was so good!!

My seat in F16 is just piece of crap. Adjustments are limited. I’m not gonna describe it all, but long story short - IMHO, BMW engineers f’ed it up big time. Seats in F16 were supposed to be better than in E70.

Long story short.
I was afraid of keeping N63 around since i thought this would be my primary car for years...but this N63! LOL. I thought it would just die on me.
So i traded it in for F16.
And there’s not a day that i look back and miss my E70 50i.
Maybe the lack of power is the main reason. But these crapy seats do add up to my anger.

So...here i am in 2021.
Want to do a G05 build. M50i. Want to click every possible option.
Yes, i’ll miss my soft-close doors (i’ll be the only one in my family though) and i won’t get those freakin heated cupholders, but here we go - it has the same love/hate N63.
I love it and at the same time i’m afraid of it.

First dilemma is - lease or buy. I really want to keep the car for 6 or so years. But the tech goes forward so quickly, that in 2 years this car will look like AM radio in liberal Boston.
I’m kinda old too, so the tech is something i could live without...these upcoming all-dash-long screens will be cool, but hell with them.

It’s the engine that i’m worried about.
N63. LOL.
What if all these plastic parts around turbos in the top gap between the cylinders will be screwed like some suggest in those chilling youtube N63 reviews?
What if it starts leaking oil (i don’t talk about burned oil) because of bad temp management?
Some say the injectors may go bad because of the heat...

Sorry for this long story...just getting to the point.

How many of you guys with the latest N63 have driven more than 50k miles?
Maybe even 75k?

My Raptor has a turbocharged V6 with relatively same numbers for HP and torque. But trust me, i can beat the s out of it. It will not overheat and it does not burn any oil.

I would be so happy to hear that there’s no issues with current gen N63. Seriously. May even buy the sucker instead of leasing it thinking about what may happen tomorrow.

Cheers...such a good sunny day today in NJ. LOL.
N63 owner here with 170K on the clock, still running strong and still knocking out 4.1 second 0-60 times (did my best run last night). Not too shabby for a 9 year old 170K mile original engine 5500lb tank. Biggest issue I had was valve stem seals, BMW used a inferior rubber compound on the original N63 valve stem seals that failed due to high temps this engine runs at. They have changed seals since then to use a much better compound so should no longer a issue on G05.

The Original N63 also had many smaller issues, it was the first reverse flow hot-v engine in production from anyone.

BMW learned alot along the way and applied to the later versions. The N63TU3 in the G05 has had many updates and improvements over the original. 200K miles should be no issue for the engine and transmission. Here are some tips for those of you who are looking to keep your G05 for the long haul:

Change Oil every 5K, no exceptions. Highly recommend Liqui-Moly, contact them for recommend oil for the N63TU3.

Change Transmission oil every 50-70k miles. BMW does not make the transmission, ZF does. BMW says oil is lifetime. ZF says to change by 70K. Who do you think knows better, BMW marketing or the ZF engineers who actually made the thing? You will need to sweet talk your SA to change it or go to a Indy shop to have it done (or do it yourself, no hard to do just not fun). Best to purchase your own oil and filter, BMW will charge you 1500 dollars for the oil and filter that you can get for 300 dollars online.

Change your transfer case oil every 70K miles and both front and rear diff oil every 70-100k miles (depending on how you drive).

Even though thermal management of the G05 is much better then E70, its still a twin turbo V8. Heat kills all the wonderful plastic and rubber bits under the hood that cost $$$ right when the warranty is up. To help alleviate this: Avoid stop and go traffic whenever possible, open your hood and let the heat demons out when parking at home or in secured areas, take the long way and cruise on the freeway instead of the short city stop light to stop light.

Drive a few extra miles and let the engine cool down before parking if you just smoked the punk in the mustang. Your turbos will thank you for it.

Over the course of many years this will really add up and save you much time, money, and hassle
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 04-28-2021 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 5
jphcbpa314.50
kgmon36.00
yoandry692.50