04-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

M50i Dragy Test at high DA/Altitude

Hi all,

So it's time for me to do a test with my new 2021 M50i (after I put 1500 miles on, of course).

I am posting my bone stock numbers at a "not so engine friendly" altitude of 6354ft and a DA of 14,000ft. 3/4 tank full of gas, not ideal, I know. Launch control was used, although some report here that just brake boost times can be better. Slight headwind 7-10mph according to my phone weather app.

Given that info, we all know my numbers can easily be beat at sea level. My goal was to try and duplicate the BMW factory posted numbers ( 4.1/12.3) at this altitude (as many other brands cannot) and as you will see, that was accomplished even at a upslope of nearly 2%+. I only had time for two runs. Disclaimer: 1/4 mile runs are not safe on public roads and I was on a deserted country road, no cars/people/animals in sight in either direction.

The next step is that I have a Racechip GTS Black and I will be hooking that up in the coming week(s) and running the same stretch (may be warmer temps, as today was a cold day) and reporting those dragy numbers.

Hope this is informative for some of you!
Attached Images

CT335xi684.00
      04-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Damn Dude, incredible #s at those density altitudes. I would have never guessed it possible under those conditions with a 2 or nearly 3% grade. I can't wait to see what your Draggy shows with the Race Chip or JB4.
Please post when you have those #s and thanks much for this thread, very interesting stuff indeed.
Appreciate 1
Mtn2Srf277.50
      04-12-2021, 07:29 PM   #3
jpichardo91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx / 2020 BMW x5 M50i

Yes , I am also interested in seeing the gains with Racechip as im considering this or an ECu flash tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn2Srf View Post
Hi all,

So it's time for me to do a test with my new 2021 M50i (after I put 1500 miles on, of course).

I am posting my bone stock numbers at a "not so engine friendly" altitude of 6354ft and a DA of 14,000ft. 3/4 tank full of gas, not ideal, I know. Launch control was used, although some report here that just brake boost times can be better. Slight headwind 7-10mph according to my phone weather app.

Given that info, we all know my numbers can easily be beat at sea level. My goal was to try and duplicate the BMW factory posted numbers ( 4.1/12.3) at this altitude (as many other brands cannot) and as you will see, that was accomplished even at a upslope of nearly 2%+. I only had time for two runs. Disclaimer: 1/4 mile runs are not safe on public roads and I was on a deserted country road, no cars/people/animals in sight in either direction.

The next step is that I have a Racechip GTS Black and I will be hooking that up in the coming week(s) and running the same stretch (may be warmer temps, as today was a cold day) and reporting those dragy numbers.

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 01:52 AM   #5
jpichardo91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx / 2020 BMW x5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Did you also test the 0-60 numbers with racechip gts black?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Good stuff Man. Nice of you to share. You've got nearly a 10% improvement in the 60-120 metric which is damn good.
How about the seat of the pants meter, does it "feel" stronger, I'm guessing that it does. 80 or 90 ft lb increase in tq down low should feel great in everyday driving which is what I would be most interested in.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpichardo91 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Did you also test the 0-60 numbers with racechip gts black?
I have not installed the race chip yet , been a little too busy and it's been snowing.
      04-17-2021, 11:06 AM   #8
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
IMO, I do not notice any increase TQ. In fact, had to take everything off for a specific service and it felt the same down low. But you do feel it pulling harder in 3rd from a dig. On my pre RC runs. 3rd always felt like an eternity. Much better with the RC.

With regards to 0 to 60, I have not noticed any consistent gains. I have logged a bunch of different launches with and without. 3.85 to 3.90 seem to be the norm with and without. HIGH DA and warm temps keep me around 4 seconds flat. I do set the rear air pressure around 38 psi.

I was hoping that the RC would have increased the low end to get a better dig to 60. I have done a few runs in a X5MC. It did 3.45 stock with LC and 3.85 by just flooring it.

This might sound strange but on the 5 or 6 runs in the X5MC, I did hold LC for a second or 2. It seems like BMW tuned the M50I to act opposite, almost like it creates a power lag.

I have come within .10 of my best LC just using quick brake boost. Unlike the Inline 6, the V8 doesn't like building boost.

If you want to chirp all 4, turn all traction aids off, sport plus,, shifter in sport and do a half second brake boost. It wants to pull a wheelie!

Sorry to OP for hijacking thread. My apologies
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
speedyman
Banned
Rep

^^^^^Damn, 3.85 seconds 0-60 all stock is just awesome, Wow. Amazing stuff for 5,200 lb. full boat SUV.
Good job.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
This is great to see!

I don't have anywhere I can do the 60-130 test, glad someone did. Nice improvements as I expected. The RC improvement on my 40i was mostly after 3rd gear (with a little bit noticed at a dig).
      04-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IMO, I do not notice any increase TQ. In fact, had to take everything off for a specific service and it felt the same down low. But you do feel it pulling harder in 3rd from a dig. On my pre RC runs. 3rd always felt like an eternity. Much better with the RC.

With regards to 0 to 60, I have not noticed any consistent gains. I have logged a bunch of different launches with and without. 3.85 to 3.90 seem to be the norm with and without. HIGH DA and warm temps keep me around 4 seconds flat. I do set the rear air pressure around 38 psi.

I was hoping that the RC would have increased the low end to get a better dig to 60. I have done a few runs in a X5MC. It did 3.45 stock with LC and 3.85 by just flooring it.

This might sound strange but on the 5 or 6 runs in the X5MC, I did hold LC for a second or 2. It seems like BMW tuned the M50I to act opposite, almost like it creates a power lag.

I have come within .10 of my best LC just using quick brake boost. Unlike the Inline 6, the V8 doesn't like building boost.

If you want to chirp all 4, turn all traction aids off, sport plus,, shifter in sport and do a half second brake boost. It wants to pull a wheelie!

NO worries at all on the hijack, these are the things I wanted to see and was trying to provide for M50i owners.

Also I notice a "lag" at launch with LC before the engine kicks in it's very noticeable and not the same as the "pin back" effect you get with the 40i with a full LC. I will try some different brake boost timing, I know once I did a stoplight punch without LC or boosting and it just lept out and caught me off guard without hesitation, so I know it is capable.

For my high-alt scenario I hope to see 11.9 1/4 after RC but at my altitude/DA that may be asking too much. I also would like a true 3.8-9 0-60 (I'm already 3.92 with 1ft rollout) but it may not happen based on your experience from a stop. We will see. I should have time next week to install and test. This beast is so fun to drive.
      04-17-2021, 08:09 PM   #12
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

NO worries at all on the hijack, these are the things I wanted to see and was trying to provide for M50i owners.

Also I notice a "lag" at launch with LC before the engine kicks in it's very noticeable and not the same as the "pin back" effect you get with the 40i with a full LC. I will try some different brake boost timing, I know once I did a stoplight punch without LC or boosting and it just lept out and caught me off guard without hesitation, so I know it is capable.

For my high-alt scenario I hope to see 11.9 1/4 after RC but at my altitude/DA that may be asking too much. I also would like a true 3.8-9 0-60 (I'm already 3.92 with 1ft rollout) but it may not happen based on your experience from a stop. We will see. I should have time next week to install and test. This beast is so fun to drive.
I was able to load one of my LC to YouTube.

2020 BMW X5 M50i Launch 1/4 Mile
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #13
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I have a feeling you should get those numbers.

When I was data logging my X3M and having conversations with others in high altitude, they were able to obtain very similar numbers.

When you get a chance to LC next, try to launch it (release brake) as soon as you see the "launch control" available on dash / headup. See if you get a different result.

I ordered a JB4. So I will follow up in a month or so with some comparisons.
Appreciate 1
Mtn2Srf277.50
      04-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #14
Mtn2Srf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

:
Quote:
I have a feeling you should get those numbers.

When I was data logging my X3M and having conversations with others in high altitude, they were able to obtain very similar numbers.

When you get a chance to LC next, try to launch it (release brake) as soon as you see the "launch control" available on dash / headup. See if you get a different result.

I ordered a JB4. So I will follow up in a month or so with some comparisons.
I will definitely try that , very helpful advice and appreciate your input! Slower times at high altitude is just a fact of life ,but I'm pretty pleased overall with the numbers I'm getting even stock for 13k+ DA.
Alan l.5428.00
      04-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #15
BadBoostedBMWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36m,F80,G80;TRX; 992 TTS; F95

Damn; I knew my wife’s x5 m50i felt good, but I was not expecting this much. We just upgraded to the x7 m50i because of the new child. It’s definitely bigger and a little slower, but I feel like it launches 0-30 a little harder. Maybe a little more traction... probably just the butt Dyno feeling that much more weight moving.