BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-19-2021, 04:21 AM   #1
BAO_72
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

B58 version in the x5 45e

Have a 45e on order and trying to figure out what kind of ICE Modifications are relevant for the hybrid version. Cant find any good information online as of yet. The 40i b58 is the "ML" version, I just wonder if the 45e has the same only detuned electronically or if it is in fact an "UL" version with less sophisticated internals. Also wonder if there are other modifications regardles of UL or ML grade, specific for the hybrid to account for all the start stops, cold condition wake ups straight into full throttle etc. Any insights would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:06 AM   #2
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

I once read that it has upgraded internals to cope with the fact that it will often have to deliver a significant amount of power running cold.
This is typical for a hybrid setup as you start on electricity and only when you press the accelerator hard it will ignite the ICE.

But I cannot remember where I read this so no guarantees it is actually true.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #3
BAO_72
Private
Rep

Thank you Peter, I have read the same statement but no specific details into what has been done. If the hybrid version was on par with the "ML" in the 40i + some additional improvements I wouldnt be worried about light tuning, but if its an "UL" with just cold running improvements for the hybrid I would. Already used to Phev (Q7) and using common sense the rough cold starts can be avoided more or less. Whatever they say, modern start stop systems should be avoided at all cost anyhow. Doesnt matter if they beef up the internals. At stop all supported parts loose their pressurised bearing oil film and each start causes some degree of metal to metal friction
Appreciate 0