BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2024, 01:36 AM   #45
Trio
Rep
Drives: Tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
After considering the options, I pulled the trigger on the Dinan springs and bumpstop kit. My reasons being -

1. MSS and other adjustable spring-only options don't make sense to me. Who is going to go for adjustable springs, when the adjustable piece is for dialling ride height specific to performance (ie. corner balancing for track use). You're absolutely not using springs for that, you're going with a full adjustable coilover solution (like the 3-way adjustable coilovers I have on my track car). The added cost in this application for that adjustability is a waste, in my opinion, as every time you adjust ride height, you're paying for another alignment. It's ultimately a more expensive set and forget setup.

2. MSS feedback indicating spring rates softer than OEM really doesn't make sense to me as you're adding more squish paired to a damper that's now more compressed all the time. If you're lowering ride height but not adding in spring rate to account for the more limited damper travel, you'll be banging off the bumpstops constantly. That's a recipe for a poor ride.

3. I considered the H&R springs. They advertise almost the same as Dinan - 35-40mm drop front/rear, and a 10-20% increase in spring rate over stock. These make sense as now we're adding rate to a lower ride height, so presumably the dampers won't be bottoming out making for a better ride. Despite being less expensive (~$360 + shipping) when compared to Dinan + bumpstop kit, they don't come with (or have the option to add) a bumpstop kit. Whether needed or not is TBD, but that led me to Dinan as it's a paired solution. Given the similar specs, you could probably pair the bumpstop kit with the H&R springs and call it a day (albeit at a slightly higher cost than the Dinan solution).

4. Dinan and H&R offer very similar specs (1.4" drop, 20% increase in stiffness). I think Dinan springs are made in China, while H&R are made in Germany. Points to H&R? Does it matter? Possibly. However, the Dinan warranty is worth something, so I know that if I have issues, they'll look after it.

So while there are a number of options out there, adjustable springs makes no sense to me, softer springs/more compliant ride on smooth roads doesn't make sense to me, and a solution that incorporates modified bump stops into the suspension dynamics wins extra points.

My only reservation is despite being able to fit a small living room set in the gap between tire and fender arch, the OEM springs are matched to the OEM dampers. Mess with that formula and I know there will be tradeoffs.
Sleeper the HR springs now seem to have bump stop kits included (https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...1653&limit=100). have you heard anything new about them? would this have changed your decision?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 09:40 AM   #46
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio View Post
Sleeper the HR springs now seem to have bump stop kits included (https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...53&limit=100). have you heard anything new about them? would this have changed your decision?
I don’t think new bumpstops are included by H&R unless RGSport is including them as a value add. But otherwise, I think all you get is the lowering springs themselves.

Even if included, it likely wouldn’t have changed by mind as Dinan has provided their spring rates whereas all/most other spring offerings are under the cloak of mystery as to specs. At least you know what you’re getting with Dinan.
Appreciate 1
S68 X5MC270.00
      01-14-2024, 05:26 PM   #47
Trio
Rep
Drives: Tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I don’t think new bumpstops are included by H&R unless RGSport is including them as a value add. But otherwise, I think all you get is the lowering springs themselves.

Even if included, it likely wouldn’t have changed by mind as Dinan has provided their spring rates whereas all/most other spring offerings are under the cloak of mystery as to specs. At least you know what you’re getting with Dinan.
Sleeper if you check out the link i included you'll see they are coming with new bumpstops. same as on the H&R springs website. but fair point on the spring rates. r33_RGSport do you know for sure on bump stops or spring rates?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 05:37 PM   #48
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpegany View Post
I have Dinan springs with their supplemental bump stops. Car handles mich more precisely. And drop is daily conservative. Spaced 15f 18r as well. Came out better than I expected coming compared to my g83 on KW. Drives much more confidently now. Installed @ apex auto in Sacramento Ca.

This looks great!
Are the tires in on the car the stock sizes or are they 'sized up'?

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 08:31 PM   #49
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio View Post
Sleeper if you check out the link i included you'll see they are coming with new bumpstops. same as on the H&R springs website. but fair point on the spring rates. r33_RGSport do you know for sure on bump stops or spring rates?
Picture is grabbed from H&R website.
I don’t remember whether the bumpstop included or not since it is very rare request on H&R Sport spring on this platform.
But, if the picture on H&R website has it, then it should be included.

Spring rate wise, H&R doesn’t disclose it publicly.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 11:41 AM   #50
vpegany
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
This looks great!
Are the tires in on the car the stock sizes or are they 'sized up'?
Factory pirelli
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:00 AM   #51
sarperb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q7

What is the cost of installing these? A local Charlotte shop quoted me for $2500, excluding alignment. Feels like it's too much but I don't have a baseline to comp it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:00 PM   #52
TTTTTTT
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW X5M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarperb View Post
What is the cost of installing these? A local Charlotte shop quoted me for $2500, excluding alignment. Feels like it's too much but I don't have a baseline to comp it.
$2500 for just springs is pretty steep. My place in Cincinnati charged me $770 (for H&R Adjustable Springs).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:09 PM   #53
sarperb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q7

Thanks for the reply. I will look for another place to install these
Appreciate 0