BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-16-2023, 01:50 PM   #67
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMYX12 View Post
Nope. Just worked behind it and used a mirror to see what I was doing.
Mine is a bit different given I'm not in a x3 or x5- mine is a m850. The I don't see how you could duplicate what you did with the bondo filler.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 04:27 AM   #68
christwinzbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 xdrive 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
as promised some pictures:

1-2 photos - 14" zip ties installed on driver's side (passenger side broke next day after I made previous post)

3 photo - the plastic bars which aluminium bar screws into

4 photo - the 30" zip ties I received are much thicker (heavy duty) and I had to make holes wider

5 picture, the motor (shutters closed)

6-7 photos - new 30" heavy duty zip ties installed, in testing stage, had some errors right after install (blockage when the ambient temperature is warm), cleared it, haven't seeing it since.

Will update in couple of days.
Been reading your post on the shutter delete. Have you solved the CEL issue with them? Any luck with perfecting the zip ties?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 06:41 AM   #69
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by christwinzbmw View Post
Been reading your post on the shutter delete. Have you solved the CEL issue with them? Any luck with perfecting the zip ties?
well yes and no.
I don't get CEL anymore for few months now but always have bimmercode ready just in case.

the error is stored in the memory but as I mentioned above it doesn't come up anymore and its a win in my book.

I have drove about 2k miles since and no issues as well.

As far as zip ties goes, no real update here, I believe since my last updated I ended up putting motor arms back in place and used medium size zip ties.

at the end its a trial and error game, it seems to have worked for me for now.

good luck with urs!
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 09:06 PM   #70
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Had to fill in where that wheel turns and runs the test to prevent it from turning 360 just enough to pretend to the car that it's still in place and opening and closing for that motor wheel. Plastic Weld from Amazon. Been holding for 2 years now. No worries about zip ties.
Hey man,
I been trying for a few days now on different fill positions but I haven't get the right one yet. The picture you send is actually the right fill you have it working right now or some from when you were trying? It's damn sensitive this thing. I may have to put back flaps and try to mark where is the close point exactly. The open position seems to be set depending on the close position set. Cuz I have fill way past the close position and it stop always before unless I move the close position more or less fill.
      11-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #71
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Update. I was able to do mine finally. So far so good.
All this time I was playing with filling the spot with different materials but I could never get the exctact point of the stop when closing /opening.
So instead of me deciding where the stop points were, I let the system do it for me. Boom first try susecfull. lol
I just filled the circle 80% of weld putty, put back the system and run it. The platic that hold the shutter has a little tab that act as stop, so it put the putty where it needed to be and hardened in minutes. So you need to work fast or get something that allow you to work more but does not move when working.
I will create a diy if needed
      11-23-2023, 08:35 PM   #72
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximking View Post
Done a few cars last week G06,G07 , no issues after the coding . if need help can be done remotely
Did you get rid of the 3 codes with coding? Mine is a 19 g15

21B057

I'm getting the drivetrain errors, cel, and now no heat and ambient temperature is not accurate. Not sure if the last 2 are related but seems to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 03:52 AM   #73
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Did you get rid of the 3 codes with coding? Mine is a 19 g15

21B057

I'm getting the drivetrain errors, cel, and now no heat and ambient temperature is not accurate. Not sure if the last 2 are related but seems to be.
Sometimes flaps can be coded out. If you have enet cable i can try code them out remotely.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 01:14 PM   #74
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
I started to get CEL few days ago after not seeing it for awhile (I can't say I never seen it but maybe once in a couple of months which was fine) this time around I started getting it again and it would come back next start.

Sure enough my zip ties broke quick fix and new ones in place, original set lasted me 6 months (medium size zip ties)

just FYI

p.s. after not seeing CEL for a while I stopped checking that my code reader properly connected as well I stopped checking zip ties, so when I saw the CEL again it took me few days to check the zip ties again
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 03:29 PM   #75
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I started to get CEL few days ago after not seeing it for awhile (I can't say I never seen it but maybe once in a couple of months which was fine) this time around I started getting it again and it would come back next start.

Sure enough my zip ties broke quick fix and new ones in place, original set lasted me 6 months (medium size zip ties)

just FYI

p.s. after not seeing CEL for a while I stopped checking that my code reader properly connected as well I stopped checking zip ties, so when I saw the CEL again it took me few days to check the zip ties again

You're able to do this without taking off the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 03:32 PM   #76
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
You're able to do this without taking off the bumper?
do what? change zip ties - yes

I did remove front bumper when I removed the shutters but it was along with other job I was doing there.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 01:37 PM   #77
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboxer View Post
Worked on my buddy's X3 m40i this week, we ended up removing all of the slats other than the first and last one so the trays that hold them from the top and bottom remained in tack as well as the actuator. This worked initially, but it looks as if the motor is sensitive enough to notice the decreased resistance of the missing slats, which is surprising considering they couldn't way more than 20-30 grams. We ended up using a pencil lead weight secured to the furthest slat on each side with thermowrap, and used the same thermowrap to hide the hideous crossbars as well. Several drives later and still no CEL and it is entirely reversible.
This method has worked flawless since we did it, seems everyone else is still trying to fine tune other stuff, but wanted to repost it in case someone else wanted to try it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 01:15 AM   #78
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This method has worked flawless since we did it, seems everyone else is still trying to fine tune other stuff, but wanted to repost it in case someone else wanted to try it.
I will try this. I'm not excited bc I'm imagining that the flaps will be too easily visible. Would you mind sharing some pics?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 07:18 PM   #79
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
I will try this. I'm not excited bc I'm imagining that the flaps will be too easily visible. Would you mind sharing some pics?
I don't have any pics, it was my buddy's car, but overall it looked pretty clean. We just left the most outter slates so it wasn't too obvious.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:06 AM   #80
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't have any pics, it was my buddy's car, but overall it looked pretty clean. We just left the most outter slates so it wasn't too obvious.
To nine90, appreciate that offer to code it out. I may follow up on that offer if it is still open.

For the customized shutter, if you run into your bud again, please take some pics! I already posted a used shutter from ebay to experiment with.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:52 PM   #81
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Those of you wth the shutter issue, are you getting a drivetrain issue message ( the little 🔧 symbol) saying driving possible but reduced power?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 04:12 PM   #82
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I'm trying to figure this out and I just want to make sure I'm not missing something that might be simple. I have removed the front kidney grille shutters, motor is still present and cycling as if the shutters were still there opening and closing.
Received engine light for the error code on the AKKS for the upper and lower stop limits not recognized which was expected without coding it off.

Fast forward, coded off with Esys as there are two variations to the coding depending on the build date, either way both variations of the coding were checked to make sure it was coded off in the DME.

Now the upper stop limit reset itself after errors were cleared out and upon next startup engine light popped a error code again, still have a code showing for the lower stop not recognized. I understand these work hand and hand for the air-cooling flap controls and only had to do with upper flaps but still getting the lower code even with everything coded off. The one recommendation was to completely disconnect the power connecters to the motors on the upper and lower flaps so there won’t be any chance of signal back to the ECU.

Thinking something might be missing from the second variation due to the build date on mine being after 7/20. Currently the AKKS is reading 00 and the LKS_OBEN and LKS_UNTEN is reading 00 as well. Any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance. Below is what was followed:

For disabling shutters:

Code AKKS in DME. The item is coded as Wert_02 [02] for all X3 and X4 models except the X3M and the X4M. For the true M versions, which don't have active grilles, the value of AKKS is Wert_00 [00]. The E-Sys comment for AKKS reads "Kommentar=CP283394 automatische Kuehlluftklappensteuerung - (AKKS) bzw. Luftklappensteuerung - (LKS) 0x00 - Nicht verbaut - KOM-Diagnose nicht aktiv 0x01 - Verbaut oben - KOM-Diagnose aktiv 0x02 - Verbaut oben+unten - KOM-Diagnose aktiv 0x03 - Default, Initwert, Nicht codiert (KOM-Diagnose trotzdem aktiv) Label: CodVar_stAKKS" which translates to "Comment = CP283394 automatic cooling air flap control - (AKKS) or air flap control - (LKS)
0x00 - not installed - COM diagnosis not active
0x01 - installed above - COM diagnosis active
0x02 - installed above + below - COM diagnosis active
0x03 - default, Init value, not coded (COM diagnosis still active)
Label: CodVar_stAKKS."

-Up until build date 07/20 it will stay in S15A: Change param "AKKS" (AktiveKühlKlappenSteuerung - ActiveCoolingFlapControl) to 0x01 which means shutters only on top (0x00 is for no flaps, 0x02 is for top & bottom and 0x03 is not used)

-Beginning with build date 07/20 it will move to S18A: Parameters will be divided and there will be one for:
--"LKS_OBEN" which means LüftungsKlappenSteuerung_Oben or AirFlapControl_Top
--"LKS_UNTEN" which means LüftungsKlappenSteuerung_Unten or AirFlapControl_Bottom
Both can only be enabled or disabled (0x01 or 0x00)
Your radiator fan still functioned as intended?

Did the coding solution stick or did the error codes come back? I think the dme software version may also affect the success in coding out the error, with the recent update preventing coding out the issue. That's my assumption right be anyways.
Appreciate 0