03-11-2024, 07:49 AM   #1
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Hi everyone, as the tread stated. Does this ever happen to you guys ? You know how sometime your phone crashed while using certain app.? This is what happen to my iDrive yesterday. The screen went completely black, it took about 10-15 sec before the iDrive came back up. This happened while I was driving.

Was running Google maps at the back via Apple CarPlay at the time.

Thanks~
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:58 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKBSY8 View Post
Hi everyone, as the tread stated. Does this ever happen to you guys ? You know how sometime your phone crashed while using certain app.? This is what happen to my iDrive yesterday. The screen went completely black, it took about 10-15 sec before the iDrive came back up. This hall happened while I was driving.

Was running Google maps at the back via Apple CarPlay at the time.

Thanks~
I regularly run Google Maps, but this never happened to me, though my control display did blank out with the words NO SIGNAL (see photo). I wasn’t running Google Maps at the time, and it only happened once at startup on a cold winter morning. I shut it down then restarted, and it disappeared. it’s never repeated despite continuing to run Google Maps

I showed the photo to my SA. they checked the voltage of my 12V batteries (which were fine) and updated software from 03/2023.50 to 11/2023.40

I recommend rebooting iDrive. if it continues, have dealer look into it
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SKBSY885.00
      03-11-2024, 08:37 AM   #3
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I want to say it's not unusual to have that. I have had that on both BMWs I owned, one F36 and one G05. Usually this is some sort of transient memory error in headunit. It's not persistent so nothing to worry about. If you have warranty, you can go to the dealer and they will likely update your software to the latest under warranty.
Appreciate 1
SKBSY885.00
      03-11-2024, 10:00 AM   #4
X3_Alaska
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I regularly run Google Maps, but this never happened to me, though my control display did blank out with the words NO SIGNAL (see photo). I wasn’t running Google Maps at the time, and it only happened once at startup on a cold winter morning. I shut it down then restarted, and it disappeared. it’s never repeated despite continuing to run Google Maps

I showed the photo to my SA. they checked the voltage of my 12V batteries (which were fine) and updated software from 03/2023.50 to 11/2023.40

I had this happen for the first time a few weeks ago. Has not happened since.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:01 AM   #5
Yardie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M60i

Garage List
  [0.00]
If you have gesture control, it is likely related to certain hand movements/commands that you or your passenger unintentionally made that resulted in the shutdown. It happened to me and that was the cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:48 PM   #6
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardie View Post
If you have gesture control, it is likely related to certain hand movements/commands that you or your passenger unintentionally made that resulted in the shutdown. It happened to me and that was the cause.

No I don’t, turn that thing office since day one.
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:50 PM   #7
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:

The battery was my concern as well. Will reboot tonight and see if it will happen again.
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 06:30 PM   #8
RoverYacht
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sDrive 40i - M Sport

Yes this happened to me several times a week at the end of last summer. I took it to the dealership and they were able to see error codes from something. They upgraded me to the latest software version and it hasn't happened since. I don't recall what version I was on but it was the one without nav directions via car play in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:42 PM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverYacht View Post
Yes this happened to me several times a week at the end of last summer. I took it to the dealership and they were able to see error codes from something. They upgraded me to the latest software version and it hasn't happened since. I don't recall what version I was on but it was the one without nav directions via car play in the HUD.
unrelated to the OP’s thread, but can you explain what you mean (bolded above)?

I have a 2021 X5 with HUD purchased in Dec 2020. it was installed with version 11/2020.xx at the time, but even since then the HUD has always displayed nav directions for Apple Maps while connected via CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:23 PM   #10
RoverYacht
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sDrive 40i - M Sport

I have a 2020 and I believe it was built around October of 2019. I only had navigational directions in my HUD when using the car's own nav. Then the new software allowed it to come from car play as well. I remember doing more research around the time this black screen happened because I considered paying to have the upgrade done because I use navigation quite a bit throughout the day. So I was happy when they did the update for free as part of this service.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:08 PM   #11
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
unrelated to the OP’s thread, but can you explain what you mean (bolded above)?

I have a 2021 X5 with HUD purchased in Dec 2020. it was installed with version 11/2020.xx at the time, but even since then the HUD has always displayed nav directions for Apple Maps while connected via CarPlay
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverYacht View Post
I have a 2020 and I believe it was built around October of 2019. I only had navigational directions in my HUD when using the car's own nav. Then the new software allowed it to come from car play as well. I remember doing more research around the time this black screen happened because I considered paying to have the upgrade done because I use navigation quite a bit throughout the day. So I was happy when they did the update for free as part of this service.
I think you are referring to the version before they start to supple Apple Maps (with only direction list) via iDrive. Mine was after that and been staying on that ver. since the update never work for me(gave up last year). Currently at 07/2021.85.

The funny thing this happen a day after I came back from BMW regular maintainance. Wondering if “they” F it up somehow
Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0