BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Encrypted wired garage door button

So my garage door wired button mounted inside the garage is encrypted making it difficult to add a device that can open the garage using an app by simply attaching it to the terminals. I can understand encrypting the wireless transmitter to prevent hackers from gaining access, but what would be the reason for encrypting the wired button inside the locked garage? If I break into your garage and press the button the door will open whether it is encrypted or not lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So my garage door wired button mounted inside the garage is encrypted making it difficult to add a device that can open the garage using an app by simply attaching it to the terminals. I can understand encrypting the wireless transmitter to prevent hackers from gaining access, but what would be the reason for encrypting the wired button inside the locked garage? If I break into your garage and press the button the door will open whether it is encrypted or not lol.
That's actually kinda nice. Most wired openers are a simple switch that connects a circuit and opens the door. The insulation around those wires is sh*t. I learned the hard way when I installed the openers in my garage and one of the staples I used to hold the opener wires to the wall worked its way through the insulation. When it got hot enough in the summer the staple would short the wire out and cause the door to open on its own. Had that happen several times while I was not home. Not cool. An encrypted opener switch is at least sending a coded "message" to the opener to open as opposed to simply pulling a circuit to ground. Would totally prevent the issue I had. But yeah, encrypting that message does seem overkill.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
From a programmer standpoint, I can see doing this for one reason, to provide a single interface that supports multiple uses. By encrypting data transfer, they can use the same connector whether its inside, or outside the garage.

Annoying, yes, but it makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Probably so that you would have to use their proprietary system to open the garage remotely.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Probably so that you would have to use their proprietary system to open the garage remotely.
I'm using a no name brand app controlled garage door opener so they are sending me a part so it will work with my opener. Regarding the stapler cutting the insulation on the earlier post probably should get that fixed it is a fire risk. The unencrypted door alerted you to the problem lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Encryption makes it hard to access the meaning of the message, not the message itself. Encrypting a push of a button (one bit of information) makes no sense: there's just nothing to dig. A complex signal (a "message") can prevent coincidence (which can be guessing as well), as described earlier, but you don't have to encrypt it: just have it sufficiently complex (like a "strong" password).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
That's actually kinda nice. Most wired openers are a simple switch that connects a circuit and opens the door. The insulation around those wires is sh*t. I learned the hard way when I installed the openers in my garage and one of the staples I used to hold the opener wires to the wall worked its way through the insulation. When it got hot enough in the summer the staple would short the wire out and cause the door to open on its own. Had that happen several times while I was not home. Not cool. An encrypted opener switch is at least sending a coded "message" to the opener to open as opposed to simply pulling a circuit to ground. Would totally prevent the issue I had. But yeah, encrypting that message does seem overkill.
Do you own your own staple gun or can you rent one of these? I'd like to be able to just borrow one instead of buying one that I will only use once.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Do you own your own staple gun or can you rent one of these? I'd like to be able to just borrow one instead of buying one that I will only use once.
They cost about $20, no sense in renting one. You do not need anything fancy to attach wires to a wall.

https://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Fastene.../dp/B00004Z2JX

or even this if you're careful:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-4...841D/206210812
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      02-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I'm curious what the garage door brand is. Never heard of one encrypting the button push.
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
I'm curious what the garage door brand is. Never heard of one encrypting the button push.
It is Genie, so one of the popular brands. I got it in 2012 when I brought my house which didn't come with an opener.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

So the support got back to me and they have a wireless adapter instead, so I won't be needing a staple gun. It basically works like the wireless remote but attaches to the camera app controlled component. Update: so I received the remote. It is a hacked chamberlain remote with two wires sticking out that connect to the contacts on the remote where the button connects. This way the app controlled component can effectively press the button on the remote via the wire and the remote is programmed to the opener.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #12
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I have dealt with this situation.

First make sure your opener does not have terminals on the actually opener which allow for a momentary contact (pushing a button) to open the door. If it does just hook into those terminals.

If it does not, and some do not since they only work with the rolling code buttons and openers. If your does not have the extra set of contact, take the coded button off the wall and take it apart, and look at the PCB and look for where the button to the electrical circuit is connected and solder wires to the opposite sides of the button.

I did this method before I realize my open had the extra contact, it is one thing the internet did not share that some opener has both methods, It wasn't until my open got killed during an electrical storm and I have to replace the controller I found the extra contacts and use them verse hacking the wall button.

Here is a link on doing this

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/2...comment=174052

This discussion show where to solder the wires on a genie garage door opener this is the open I had, the controller board in the opener also had extra contract next to the where the wall button hooks in. this can be done on other openers as well.

https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewto...p=57235&t=7364

Last edited by Maestro; 02-14-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Thanks for the info. Everything is working with the universal remote hack they sent me. Now I just need to get a new bottom seal as rain water is making its way in. I tried setting the close position lower but I think this is putting more stress on the door.
Appreciate 0