02-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #23
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4eva View Post
dumb question, where do you check which version of iDrive you have?

Regarding the braking, I had a weird situation that I wish the X5 could capture data and video as I could do in my '15 Corvette.

Essentially I was using Active Driving Assistant, and the car did not slow or flash a warning that I was about to rear-end the car ahead of me. I let it go as far as I was comfortable and then had to jump on the brakes. Certainly, the system should have at least given me an acute warning.
I definitely get the acute warning didn’t notice any braking yet. Happened to me a few times. I get a big red car in the dash. I keep forgetting to check the rev. I should be on the latest since my car was built about 2 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #24
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJELITE View Post
Interesting IIHS results on the X1 posted in a new thread which would support the suspicion many of us have regarding the actual functionality of the G05 auto braking;

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1585913
This is messed up! I wonder if they wind in something like VW's dieselgate if they tweaked software to pass the safety test while production models are defective.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #25
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

Though an X1 I'm guessing tech is similar.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/21/...usauto00000016
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:19 PM   #26
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Anyone have an update on this? I experienced another near miss today... Something that my 17 Q7 would have def braked for. Looks like I have another visit to the dealer in the works...

Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #27
BMW168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 X5, 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by puraj83 View Post
Anyone have an update on this? I experienced another near miss today... Something that my 17 Q7 would have def braked for. Looks like I have another visit to the dealer in the works...

Frustrating.
I had a near miss yesterday. Cars started moving after red light turned green, car in front suddenly stop, I braked hard and was able to stop in time. Happened too fast to notice if the car actually braked for me or I did all the braking !?
But I do remember seeing the RED car warning symbol flash on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:58 AM   #28
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW168 View Post
I had a near miss yesterday. Cars started moving after red light turned green, car in front suddenly stop, I braked hard and was able to stop in time. Happened too fast to notice if the car actually braked for me or I did all the braking !?
But I do remember seeing the RED car warning symbol flash on the dash.
I'm not sure about BMW, but with Volvo and I'm pretty sure Audi, the seat belts tighten up before the auto braking kicks in. Maybe someone on here with experience from a non G05 can comment on this??

I've seen the red light and audible warning on my G05, but it has never prepped itself for a potential accident by tensioning the seatbelts nor has applied the brakes by itself in the couple close calls I've had.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I have had it just give the symbol when it was close and also had it flash, ding and brake last week when a car suddenly stopped to turn and I was going to drive around it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #30
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

I was in stop and go traffic yesterday and almost hit the car in front of me, or it appeared I was about to hit them (only going about 5 mph, but over the 3 mph minimum). I would think that the system when set to "early" warning, would be much more aggressive - if working.

It hard for me to believe that more people on the forum aren't concerned about this, but whether or not there are cornering lights warrants a 14 page thread.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #31
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
I was in stop and go traffic yesterday and almost hit the car in front of me, or it appeared I was about to hit them (only going about 5 mph, but over the 3 mph minimum). I would think that the system when set to "early" warning, would be much more aggressive - if working.

It hard for me to believe that more people on the forum aren't concerned about this, but whether or not there are cornering lights warrants a 14 page thread.
I think the failure of the cornering lights are obvious but the braking is hard to test until someone crashes. I tried to test mine and got no braking and have never seen even i light on the dash. My wifes audi is warning me all the time and i assume i have the same driving style with both cars. I am just waiting for a forum member to run into somebody so we can confirm what we all think. The system does not exist on the x5.
Appreciate 2
EJELITE57.00
beermato101.50
      03-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #32
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
I am just waiting for a forum member to run into somebody so we can confirm what we all think. The system does not exist on the x5.
It definitely does exists, a number of members here, including me, have had the auto braking engage. Whether it will do it in all expected circumstances or not is an open question. Could also depend on the build date as there were some bad KAFAS cameras. When I was asking about the braking situation the service manager at my dealership said there were problems but were corrected with the updated cameras. Whether accurate or not, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:19 AM   #33
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It definitely does exists, a number of members here, including me, have had the auto braking engage. Whether it will do it in all expected circumstances or not is an open question. Could also depend on the build date as there were some bad KAFAS cameras. When I was asking about the braking situation the service manager at my dealership said there were problems but were corrected with the updated cameras. Whether accurate or not, who knows.
It 'exists', much like it exists in the X1, its functionality is whats questionable;

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/21/...g-pedestrians/

I have mine set to early, and like magna6882 I don't believe my driving style changes between vehicles. This G05 has has gotten way too close for comfort a couple times with the only intervention being myself in avoiding a collision. My Volvo would have applied the brakes before this BMW even flashed the red warning.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #34
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Ok.. after driving for 3 days, I am convinced that frontal collision warning does not work. My 2016 m4 and f150 gives visual and audio warning but x5 is silent. No errors displayed.

Test is easy.. drive in to parked car just be ready to steer around it. Both M4 and F150 sounded warning. M4, much later than f150, but at least it worked.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:41 PM   #35
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

I set my frontal collision to "early" and I get the alerts now.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #36
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Mine is early and I've tested - both on purpose and on accident, with no observable action by the vehicle. If it is working, I can't imagine what would happen on the other settings.

I don't know if it's software, or hardware (camera?), but it does not seem to be working. I have not had time to get with the dealer on this or other (phone connection, etc) issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #37
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
I set my frontal collision to "early" and I get the alerts now.
can you describe situation where you gen an alert?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #38
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

I've seen the red car alert couple times but of course am not gonna risk and test last minute automatic break
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #39
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I have had two steps of the warning, but no braking.

First step of the warning a few times was just a red picture of a car show up in the HUD with nothing else. This is usually when a car in front of me is turning onto another street and I don't slow down.

The second step warning happened to me once. A car did some weird pull onto the road and straight off again in front of me when I was accelerating. There was no risk of an accident, but the X5 made several warning tones very quickly (like in those Euro NCAP videos), and the instrument cluster did this thing where it filled with red starting from the outside into the center, almost like curtains closing. No braking, but the car in front pulled off as fast as it had appeared.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #40
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Frontal Collision Test Idea...

Buy one of these punch clowns and drive into/over it. Seems like a sufficiently large object to trigger vehicle intervention, and if it doesn't trigger, shouldn't damage the car. Video your experience and take it to your SA as evidence of system failure.

Name:  bozo-and-boppers.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  15.3 KB
beermato101.50
      03-25-2019, 05:29 AM   #41
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

So I've had this work on the F15, saved us. When it engaged I saw the red car symbol then an audible noise. I went to brake and as I hit the brake I felt the car's brake pedal move. I think the car brakes harder than I would have because abs kicked in. When reading the manual and searching online it definitely has limitations. I was told if the car thinks you are aware of the situation it does not always activate. For instance, I was heading straight at a constant speed. If you accelerate it may not kick in.

Here's a bunch of limitations, interesting to see high heat and calibration in a new car to be some of them.

Functional limitations
The system may not be fully functional in the fol‐ lowing situations:
▷ In heavy fog, wet conditions, or snowfall.
▷ In tight curves.
▷ If the driving stability control systems are limited or deactivated, for instance DSC OFF.
▷ If the field of view of the camera or the wind‐ shield is dirty or covered in the area of the in‐ terior mirror.
▷ If the camera has overheated and been tem‐ porarily switched off due to excessively high temperatures.
▷ Depending on the equipment: if the radar sensors are dirty or covered.
▷ Up to 10 seconds after the start of the engine via the Start/Stop button.
▷ During calibration of the camera immediately after vehicle delivery.
▷ If there are constant blinding effects because of oncoming light, for instance from the sun low in the sky
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #42
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
So I've had this work on the F15, saved us. When it engaged I saw the red car symbol then an audible noise. I went to brake and as I hit the brake I felt the car's brake pedal move. I think the car brakes harder than I would have because abs kicked in. When reading the manual and searching online it definitely has limitations. I was told if the car thinks you are aware of the situation it does not always activate. For instance, I was heading straight at a constant speed. If you accelerate it may not kick in.

Here's a bunch of limitations, interesting to see high heat and calibration in a new car to be some of them.

Functional limitations
The system may not be fully functional in the fol‐ lowing situations:
▷ In heavy fog, wet conditions, or snowfall.
▷ In tight curves.
▷ If the driving stability control systems are limited or deactivated, for instance DSC OFF.
▷ If the field of view of the camera or the wind‐ shield is dirty or covered in the area of the in‐ terior mirror.
▷ If the camera has overheated and been tem‐ porarily switched off due to excessively high temperatures.
▷ Depending on the equipment: if the radar sensors are dirty or covered.
▷ Up to 10 seconds after the start of the engine via the Start/Stop button.
▷ During calibration of the camera immediately after vehicle delivery.
▷ If there are constant blinding effects because of oncoming light, for instance from the sun low in the sky

Jeeze... reads like the side of an aspirin bottle or like the instructions sticker on the side of a step ladder:

Name:  IMG_2554 (1).jpg
Views: 368
Size:  1.40 MB

What ever happened to "take two and you'll feel better," "use common sense," and... "just drive and the system will work."

I know what happened to these things, but I'll bite my tongue.
      03-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #43
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammer View Post

I know what happened to these things, but I'll bite my tongue.
I'll say it...... lawyers!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #44
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I can confirm high speed collision avoidance and braking work. I may be the only one so far that has seen it in action.
Here is the thread:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1580609
Appreciate 0