02-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #23
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Obviously they can't say it will stop since that can't be predicted and would be legal suicide.

Look at the wording - "If an accident cannot be prevented, the system will help reduce the impact speed." That means brakes will be applied, you may stop and prevent an accident or the vehicle may be slowed down.
I hear you but I’m not going to assume either. Until I see some NA independent tests. They could easily place a disclaimer and say it’s the drivers responsibility the same way they do for the driver assistance package. Who is preventing the accident the driver or car? To much loophole verbiage, it’s always possible they deactivated or reduced functionality for some crazy reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobb2 View Post
I hear you but I’m not going to assume either. Until I see some NA independent tests. They could easily place a disclaimer and say it’s the drivers responsibility the same way they do for the driver assistance package. Who is preventing the accident the driver or car? To much loophole verbiage, it’s always possible they deactivated or reduced functionality for some crazy reason.
I think you are misunderstanding my posts, I'm not saying they are working or not working. Just posting what the OM says the system could do. Personally I have had my warning come on but have never been in a situation where the brakes should have been applied. It could be they aren't working as people expect and if so hopefully they are fixed.

What I find really strange is that dealers say there are no testing regimens for the braking systems. I would have expected all of them to have big foam vehicle/person dummies that can be used for brake testing at various speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #25
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding my posts, I'm not saying they are working or not working. Just posting what the OM says the system could do. Personally I have had my warning come on but have never been in a situation where the brakes should have been applied. It could be they aren't working as people expect and if so hopefully they are fixed.

What I find really strange is that dealers say there are no testing regimens for the braking systems. I would have expected all of them to have big foam vehicle/person dummies that can be used for brake testing at various speeds.
Sounds like we are saying the same thing. Fishy that these systems can't be tested by the dealer. Well I can definitely confirm acute warning works for cars. Had a few people cut me off already. Let's see what comes out of this X1 debacle. I hate spending money for shit that doesn't work as expected.
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13234.50
      02-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #26
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Has anyone raised a PUMA for this?
I asked.. we'll see what they say
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #27
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Sounds like we are saying the same thing. Fishy that these systems can't be tested by the dealer. Well I can definitely confirm acute warning works for cars. Had a few people cut me off already. Let's see what comes out of this X1 debacle. I hate spending money for shit that doesn't work as expected.
I will say I have gotten the red car on the dash a bunch of times when approaching a much slower car rapidly, once had the sound go off and the dash light up very red. My wife yesterday said the car slammed on the brakes when someone turned off the road in front of her and as she accelerated as they cleared the path the car slammed on the brakes thinking the car was still somewhat in the way, so it seems to work on mine, but don't want to fully test it (or stand in front of it!).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #28
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I will say I have gotten the red car on the dash a bunch of times when approaching a much slower car rapidly, once had the sound go off and the dash light up very red. My wife yesterday said the car slammed on the brakes when someone turned off the road in front of her and as she accelerated as they cleared the path the car slammed on the brakes thinking the car was still somewhat in the way, so it seems to work on mine, but don't want to fully test it (or stand in front of it!).
Good to hear its actually braking too. I don’t blame you I’m not fully testing it either. Hopefully it will work when we really need it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #29
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just took a look at the Honda CR-V manual. Their verbiage is very similar to BMW except they do mention braking pressure. Page 120-121 if you are interested. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATLA1919OG.PDF

Edit: Damn their video is even better. BMW should take notes

Last edited by bigrobb2; 02-21-2019 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #30
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Umm, tested by the dealer, have them drive it into a foam dummy? There are people on here that won’t even allow them to wash it, I don’t think dealers should be responsible for testing safety crash systems, but that’s just me?
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41909.50
wrickem2101.00
      02-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #31
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
Quote:
Umm, tested by the dealer, have them drive it into a foam dummy? There are people on here that won’t even allow them to wash it, I don’t think dealers should be responsible for testing safety crash systems, but that’s just me?
Maybe not a dummy, but there should be some kind of validation: Sounds like they just make sure lights are green.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #32
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Maybe not a dummy, but there should be some kind of validation: Sounds like they just make sure lights are green.
How are your air bags, they work ok?

Agree there should be validation but it should be by the factory on random vehicles to see if there are issues, doesn’t seem they do that. I don’t feel these issues are the dealers fault but the poor bastards are paying the price. Just my option, my dealer was great and I don’t blame them for any of these issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #33
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How are your air bags, they work ok?

Agree there should be validation but it should be by the factory on random vehicles to see if there are issues, doesn’t seem they do that. I don’t feel these issues are the dealers fault but the poor bastards are paying the price. Just my option, my dealer was great and I don’t blame them for any of these issues.
Well airbags get recalled all the time too and there is a test for airbags, they are just useless afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #34
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well airbags get recalled all the time too and there is a test for airbags, they are just useless afterwards.
Agree, but I don’t expect the dealer to be doing the testing.

Seems the factory testing on some of these systems is suspect, but then software is a tough nut, probably millions of lines of code. As other have mentioned trying to stay ahead of the curve is the real problem and we are doing the testing.

At least we have a hell of a fun car to test in on.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #35
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agree, but I don’t expect the dealer to be doing the testing.

Seems the factory testing on some of these systems is suspect, but then software is a tough nut, probably millions of lines of code. As other have mentioned trying to stay ahead of the curve is the real problem and we are doing the testing.

At least we have a hell of a fun car to test in on.
Well they are supposed to be certified BMW mechanics. If they can replace an engine or damaged computer they should be easily be able to test some of the safety systems. I'm just saying BMW should have a system for dealers to test these systems to some degree. There has to be a BMW diagnostic tool.

Well besides the minor iDrive bugs everything else seems ok. Driving assist makes me in this NY traffic. They just need a pothole avoidance feature and I'll be all set.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #36
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Just today someone turned if front of me making a left and i was on the brakes hard enough for shit to come forward against the back seat with force. She stopped also and we were a couple feet apart. No audible signal.no lights and definitely no braking. Whats frustrating is we have brought this up months ago.I don't even know what the light or sound is like since i have never seen it. When we bought the audi in 2017 safety was our number one concern especially for pedestrians. Getting a little older and slower so these features are important. I would not have even considered this car if it didnt have the safety features advertised.
If it turns out these features are not going to work bmw is going to buy this car back as its a liability to drive considering other vehicles available.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #37
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

It’s good BMW is being called out on this, I remember when the Macan failed the moose test terribly. Hopefully it’s a software fix and they have to do something by force. Very embarrassing and disheartening they will pull stuff like this!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #38
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
Just today someone turned if front of me making a left and i was on the brakes hard enough for shit to come forward against the back seat with force. She stopped also and we were a couple feet apart. No audible signal.no lights and definitely no braking. Whats frustrating is we have brought this up months ago.I don't even know what the light or sound is like since i have never seen it. When we bought the audi in 2017 safety was our number one concern especially for pedestrians. Getting a little older and slower so these features are important. I would not have even considered this car if it didnt have the safety features advertised.
If it turns out these features are not going to work bmw is going to buy this car back as its a liability to drive considering other vehicles available.
I wonder if you having an older build has to do something to do with it. Mine was built this month and I’ve received the alarm about 4 or 5 times in the week I’ve had the car. Big ass red car pops up on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:42 AM   #39
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

I did hear from the service manager they had some defective kafus cameras but there was no inventory to replace. Perhaps thas has something to do with ours but i wouldn't think the x1 used the same camera
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #40
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
I wonder if you having an older build has to do something to do with it. Mine was built this month and I’ve received the alarm about 4 or 5 times in the week I’ve had the car. Big ass red car pops up on the dash.
I have an old build - Was delivered to my dealer end of Oct.

I've have had the audible warning a few times and the red light once, but never any braking assist or seat belt pretensioning, and there have been a couple situations it should have intervened. My Volvo systematically did all of the above, and it did it very well. You could even hear and feel the brakes prepping themselves before the full system intervention became imminent. I already thought this BMW system was garbage and now with this X1 test, I have no faith that autonomous braking works.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:07 AM   #41
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
I've got an 11/2018 build and the one time I got the "oh crap" red car, when I hit my brakes they were very powerful and sensitive so I'm positive that the brake booster was working. I'm not sure if it was triggered by the red car warning or the fact that I quickly took my foot off the accelerator and hit the brakes quickly as in older BMWs, but I know those parts work in older builds.
      02-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #42
SwedeJohanson
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Class action lawsuit?

Sounds like this may become a reality if it is not fixed.
2012 BMW X5 35d Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #43
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List

Jump to around 3:30 in the video, it's where the pedestrian tests are located.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #44
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I was driving to the airport a week or so ago and a car started to come into my lane. The display lit up a message and started to steer me gently out of the way. I wish I saw more of what it said, but I also was noticing the car coming into my lane. It was reassuring to know the system also saw it and was taking action. Im assuming it was part of the blind spot monitoring system. Whatever it was, it was pretty cool to see in action.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13234.50