09-23-2023, 02:37 AM   #67
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

[QUOTE=FCX5;30512317]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstezaws View Post
I'm creating a new thread even though I had posted a few comments in another thread that was related to issues with the transfer case "binding" or "grinding" while driving at low speeds and sharp turning angles. I thought it would be better to make this a separate thread in case others have similar problems (whether in the past or in the future).

Brought in my 22 X5 M50i (about 17k mile so far, never missed any service intervals) into the local dealer for an issue I was experiencing: at low-speeds and sharp steering angles, there is very extreme binding/stuttering on the front drivetrain. It seemed obvious to me that it was a transfer case issue.

I did some searching and found multiple threads related to transfer case problems with the current X5 and previous generations.

My issue started immediately after driving in the first heavy rain of the summer (southern AZ monsoons). I didn't drive off-road and was only driving on a major road that had maybe 3-5" of water in some areas due to the intense rain. I had actually taken a video in my office parking lot of the intense rain minutes before heading home because it was 119° outside and there was incredible hail coming down.

I noticed the binding when I was pulling into my driveway at home. This is a 2-3 mile drive at most. I thought maybe the rotors were wet, or some leaves or twigs got into some sensor, and that after everything dried out the issue would likely go away. It never did.

After about 4-5 days of experiencing this [...]

Clearly BMW did not intend the X5 to be an actual SUV. It’s a luxury car with SUV styling I suppose if they won’t cover 3-5 inches of water! Seems unfortunate, but I guess that is the difference between an SAV and an SUV 🤷🏻‍♂️
Definitely the G05 is a luxury car. The older f15 x5 I had was less delicate compared this newer one. The f15 they didn't really have transfer case issues. They only occured due to the tires not being changed in sets. This G05 transfer case is defective out the factory no doubt. They need to issue a recall and own up to there failure fluids.
Appreciate 0