08-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #23
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Lets not turn this into the 3 series forum where 340 and M3 guys argue all day long about which is better.

Not everyone has the space or use for a suv and a sports car in the garage so if you need to have the ultimate package in one car the the X5M serves this purpose.

Is the car worth 20K more than a M50i? Thats up to the buyer. Nobody needs a 90-120K SUV honestly. For me i was going to spend 10-15K in mods for the M50i anyway so I decided I rather just get the M instead because its a lot better looking and more unique.

Just because it doesn't handle as well as a M3 doesn't mean its not a good handling car and doesn't make it pointless imo. I drive the same roads and highways with my M3 and my X5MC and i enjoy both because of how they feel/handle. Just because you are in a suv doesn't mean you need to make it handle like suv.

Alan
I think the difference between the M340 and the M3 and the X5 M50i and X5M is a little different though (and I say this as an M3 and M4 owner prior to my M50i).

The M340 is trying to play in the same space as the M3 in so much as both are rapid performance saloons. The M340 isn't the luxury best-of-both worlds option as tbh it's pretty low-rent inside compared to the M3 and the M3 out does it in both the performance pedigree and interior.

Whereas with the M50i you get a luxury comfortable cruiser to match a RR with top end performance or the X5M you get a high-quality performance monster with all the trimmings you'd expect from M division.

It really depends on what you want from the car as both offer different things whereas the M340i is alway going to be deemed the "wish I had an M3" car by most people save for the owners of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #24
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamace View Post
* Interior: I dislike wood trims. So F95 carbon fiber beats G05 aluminum hexagon hands down
The 2021 M50i has option 4MC Carbon Fiber Trim available as a $300 option.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #25
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
You can get air suspension on the M50i which not only gives it a unbelievably smooth ride but at its lowest and 2nd to lowest settings removes all large fender tire gaps and gives the vehicle a slammed down stance.
Out of topic question Sorry OP with air suspension, can you set up the car to be always at the lowest setting? Or does the car reset itself to standard height every time you turn it on or off?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:01 AM   #26
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Quote:
You can get air suspension on the M50i which not only gives it a unbelievably smooth ride but at its lowest and 2nd to lowest settings removes all large fender tire gaps and gives the vehicle a slammed down stance.
Out of topic question Sorry OP with air suspension, can you set up the car to be always at the lowest setting? Or does the car reset itself to standard height every time you turn it on or off?
The air suspension doesn't reset to Normal level when you turn your vehicle off or on*

If you code your vehicle to start in Sport mode, the air suspension should always stay in Sport level.

As long as you don't adjust the air suspension when you turn your vehicle off and exit, it'll stay in level set until your next drive.

For example:

1. Exit and lock in Normal level, stays in Normal level until next drive off

2. Exit and lock in Sport level, stays in Sport level until next drive off

3. Exit in Normal level; later on you need to load boxes into trunk, you open the trunk and press the Load level button on the tailgate, air suspension lowers to Load level; you load up the trunk, close trunk and lock; vehicle stays in Load level until next drive off

*Air suspension behavior when turning on your vehicle:

- If you left the air suspension in Normal or Sport level: unlocking, entering, turning your vehicle on and driving off - air suspension stays in level set.

- If you left the air suspension in High 1/2 or Load level: unlocking, entering, turning your vehicle on, and driving off - air suspension will adjust to Normal level.

- Unlocking, entering, turning your vehicle on, and pressing any of the Driving Dynamics mode will adjust the air suspension to Normal or Sport depending on mode selected.

TLDR; Things I've learned
Always, always set your Driving Dynamics mode before manually adjusting your air suspension! Or it will cancel your manual adjustment, depending on the Driving Dynamics mode selected.

Apologies for the long write up!

Appreciate 1
MystroX56244.50
      08-12-2020, 05:13 AM   #27
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Quote:
The air suspension doesn't reset to Normal level when you turn your vehicle off or on*

If you code your vehicle to start in Sport mode, the air suspension should always stay in Sport level.

As long as you don't adjust the air suspension when you turn your vehicle off and exit, it'll stay in level set until your next drive.

For example:

1. Exit and lock in Normal level, stays in Normal level until next drive off

2. Exit and lock in Sport level, stays in Sport level until next drive off

3. Exit in Normal level; later on you need to load boxes into trunk, you open the trunk and press the Load level button on the tailgate, air suspension lowers to Load level; you load up the trunk, close trunk and lock; vehicle stays in Load level until next drive off

*Air suspension behavior when turning on your vehicle:

- If you left the air suspension in Normal or Sport level: unlocking, entering, turning your vehicle on and driving off - air suspension stays in level set.

- If you left the air suspension in High 1/2 or Load level: unlocking, entering, turning your vehicle on, and driving off - air suspension will adjust to Normal level.

- Unlocking, entering, turning your vehicle on, and pressing any of the Driving Dynamics mode will adjust the air suspension to Normal or Sport depending on mode selected.

TLDR; Things I've learned
Always, always set your Driving Dynamics mode before manually adjusting your air suspension! Or it will cancel your manual adjustment, depending on the Driving Dynamics mode selected.

Apologies for the long write up!
Perfect explanation
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 05:59 AM   #28
MGDisco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
I think the difference between the M340 and the M3 and the X5 M50i and X5M is a little different though (and I say this as an M3 and M4 owner prior to my M50i).

The M340 is trying to play in the same space as the M3 in so much as both are rapid performance saloons. The M340 isn't the luxury best-of-both worlds option as tbh it's pretty low-rent inside compared to the M3 and the M3 out does it in both the performance pedigree and interior.
In what way is the M340 low-rent inside compared to the M3? Just curious to know why you have stated this. The difference between the current models of M3 / M340 aren't exactly comparable since they are based on different model series (F80 vs G20). Do you see it as differences in the trim materials and seats as the reasoning behind this? Or more fundamental interior architecture (dash layout, tunnel height, etc.)? As I say, just curious since I have owned neither of these models....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #29
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDisco View Post
In what way is the M340 low-rent inside compared to the M3? Just curious to know why you have stated this. The difference between the current models of M3 / M340 aren't exactly comparable since they are based on different model series (F80 vs G20). Do you see it as differences in the trim materials and seats as the reasoning behind this? Or more fundamental interior architecture (dash layout, tunnel height, etc.)? As I say, just curious since I have owned neither of these models....
Sorry yes comparing the F series but I expect it to be same on the G series too when the G80 M3 and G82 M4 are launched. The leather, seat style and general materials on the interior certainly on the F series 3r 340 Msport is very poor compared to Audi and Merc rivals never mind the M3 of the same generation. The fundamental layout is the same re: dash etc but the plastics used aren’t great. The G series M340i is only a step up marginally as again the interior isnt that great. I fully expect the G series M3 to be a level above.

Where as with the X5 M50i and X5M you get two very plush interiors just different styles ie one is aimed at the luxury SUV feel and the other at best in class performance SUV.

Last edited by Unit; 08-12-2020 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #30
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Comparing F chassis 3 series to M3 there are some minor differences. My brother inlaw had a F30 340xi Msport and I had a F80 M3 Competition. At first glance they look almost the same except for the following differences:

Seats (this is a massive difference in the way they look and hold you)
Merino leather used in the M
Sportier trims
Black headliner
Beefier Steering wheel with M stitch
M Stitch seat belts

Those changes added together did make the interior of the M3 look/feel more special. Even my brother in law said the same thing. The biggest thing was the seats. They hold you like a fine tailored slimfit suit vs his msport seats feels more like a off the rack "classic" fit one.

The difference in the X5M vs X5M50i isn't nearly as drastic.

Seats (the euro markets can get similar seats as an option)
Full Merino Leather extending down to the lower door panels (looks like 2021 can't get full leather anymore on the non M)
Soft close doors (no longer a option for 2021 but its useless anyway)
M stitch seat belts

Pretty much the look & feel of the front seats is the biggest difference for the X5M because you can option a regular X5 with some of the other stuff. Both interiors are simply beautiful and a joy to be in regardless.
      08-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #31
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
As you can see, the choice isn't easy. I think BMW is smart in providing both variants.

Over the past 14 months I have gone from a '16 F15 50i with DHP, to a 2019 X5 40i (don't ask) to a 2020 X3M to X5 M50i. If you can afford and justify an ///M, get it. Nothing drives like an ///M. That being said, I enjoy my M50i.

The similarities between the M50 and M are fewer than you think. There is a reason why most parts are stamped ///M on true M's.

Do you want a smile or huge smile every time you push that pedal down? If. huge smile....Buy the M.
Do you desire to drive something very few will be driving and is instantly noticed? Buy the M.

For me, I couldn't justify the payment for my personal circumstances and I got a smoking deal on the M50i build. Plus I needed to unload the X3M before the bottom fell out on values.

I wanted more room over the X3M, but I can tell you, every time I'm hammer down and midway through 3rd gear in the M50i, I wish I had an ///M. Every time I throw it into a turn, I wonder how much better that turn would have been in a true ///M.

Again, both are amazing vehicles that check off different boxes, that is evident by the other post.

Now with limitations on the finer options (soft close doors, etc), the X5M might be a better choice now. Unless you wait until mid MY cycle when some of the options might be available again (would be the first time BMW updated the options).

Do you want the prom date that every else will be looking at and wishing they were with or do you want the prom date that your children will see pictures of when you go through the family photo album?

At the end if the day, you have to appreciate life and your accomplishments be vacillating over such a decision.
Appreciate 3
MystroX56244.50
Unit218.50
bmwauug248.50
      08-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #32
MGDisco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Sorry yes comparing the F series but I expect it to be same on the G series too when the G80 M3 and G82 M4 are launched. The leather, seat style and general materials on the interior certainly on the F series 3r 340 Msport is very poor compared to Audi and Merc rivals never mind the M3 of the same generation. The fundamental layout is the same re: dash etc but the plastics used aren’t great. The G series M340i is only a step up marginally as again the interior isnt that great. I fully expect the G series M3 to be a level above.

Where as with the X5 M50i and X5M you get two very plush interiors just different styles ie one is aimed at the luxury SUV feel and the other at best in class performance SUV.
Thanks Unit - appreciate the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #33
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamace View Post
Believe it or not, I chose X5MC over M50i because of the looks:
* Exterior color: Marina Bay Blue is stunning! And the only color for M50i I like is Tanzanite Blue and that's a bit too dark
* Exterior style: Much more aggressive bodylines and I have a soft spot for 4 round-exhaust tips
* Interior: I dislike wood trims. So F95 carbon fiber beats G05 aluminum hexagon hands down
* Interior: Like the details in F95, seats, seatbelt, M buttons, etc.

I was certain I'm going to enjoy either driving-wise. So made the decision based on aesthetics (and the fact that F95 is much rarer than G05 on the road).
agree on everything said above
coming from E70 X5M so not too nervous about firm ride either!

just wish F95 had more suspension options to get rid of that hideous wheel gap, u can fix that with body kit and bigger wheels or wait for coiloveres or springs options (I'm sure they coming pretty soon)

I was debating how much it would cost me to get "lower" trim and make it an M and its just doesn't make sense.

M wheels have to go for sure but this is a different story!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #34
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've a 2020 M50i with DHP, haven't driven the new X5M, have driven the previous model and liked both the driving dynamics and suspension feel.

While it's quick and luxurious, there's no hiding the weight of the M50i and to me the steering feels too light and sloppy. (Rear almost feels like it's on casters) Not sure if it's the rear wheel steering or just the sheer overall size but there's no hiding the weight and it doesn't feel as connected to the road as I'd like it to. (Came from a Mercedes GLC43 that at 1000lbs less handled amazing and felt very connected to the road) I drive in sport plus most of the time, and I wish there was a "next up" setting that stiffened the suspension by 30%.

X5M hands down looks so much better, with mine being blacked out without seeing the badge or exhaust on the back it looks identical to a 40i.

That said, it might not sound like it but I really do like the M50i. It is very luxurious. The X5's all look great regardless of model and this is quick and sounds good albeit a little quiet for my taste.
The X5M wasn't available when I ordered it, and even at that in Canada the sticker on my M50i is about $30,000 less than a similarly optioned X5M, and the lease payment on a 24,000km/yr M50i more than $1000 less a month than the X5M with the 16,000km a year lease option.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #35
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
But people are paying 25k more? 30k more? For what? Cool bumpers? With the $30k I saved...I could buy a Lotus Elise, and a trailer.... and tow it to the track behind my M50i....
Some of us want one car to do it all. X5M comes pretty close to doing that.

And more generally, your argument can be extended arbitrarily to CR-V territory.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 01:59 AM   #36
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post

Every time I throw it into a turn, I wonder how much better that turn would have been in a true ///M
Exact reason why 10 years ago my first BMW was an M3 ... but I'm old school I guess because I don't even think about that in an SUV because SUV.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 09:09 PM   #37
KNRESQ
KNRESQ
Rep
Drives: Bmw x6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I agree some of the points and I have a X5M (originally had a M50i on order).

If comfort is what you are after then the X5M isn't the right choice. Its a firm riding suv. Some prefer this and some don't. I personally hate floaty cars and makes me nauseous but with that said I do wish my X5MC in comfort mode rides a tad softer for NYC roads. Its not harsh unless you are on the worst of roads but its a trade off because it can handle like it defies physics. The best way to describe it is if you are use to how a M car handles, its not too far off from that.

I went with the X5MC because I typically modify the heck out of my cars and based on the list of modifications that i had planned for the M50i (94K build) i was getting really close to X5M price. Even after I do everything i wanted to it still wouldn't look as good or as special as the M (Marina Bay Blue rocks!) to me so that's why i went with it. Better looks, more performance with full warranty by BMW.

Its great that BMW offers these two amazing suvs for people to pick and choose. I all comes down to personal preference. X5MC is max performance/luxury all in one package. The M50i is similar with everything dialed down a notch gearing more for comfort.

Alan

Alan lmk when & where you trade yours in, if you treat it with care… I want it. IG: x_six_m
Appreciate 0