BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #67
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Wow. I definitely torn on this. It does look good, but I’m not sure if that’s a look I’m going for... maybe all blacked out...?? Maybe just leave it stock and cover the center part... I don’t know, but I like that I have options to look at and consider now.

This is why I love these forums! Thank you so much for posting these pictures!! You are the first to do something like this and post here and you get serious kudos for that! Well done!!
Thanks, Jrunr... did you get your vinyl?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #68
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

My vinyl? No. I don’t even have my X5 yet! Lol

(And yet I do already have the iND color matched front reflectors...)
Appreciate 3
      11-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #69
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
My vinyl? No. I don’t even have my X5 yet! Lol

(And yet I do already have the iND color matched front reflectors...)
Glad I'm not the only pre-order crazy. I ordered the painted reflectors, custom grille, and black exhaust surrounds from IND already. They know I have them on speed dial.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #70
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

iND has the grill on pre-order??
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #71
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Absolutely
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #72
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Absolutely
Which grille did you order?

It’s grille, isn’t it, I’ve been saying grill...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #73
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
Quote:
Absolutely
Which grille did you order?

It's grille, isn't it, I've been saying grill...
Message ryan@ind. Tell him exactly what you want. They can customize anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’ve messaged some with whoever posts here but they didn’t have prices yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #75
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've messaged some with whoever posts here but they didn't have prices yet.
Trust me. Ryan@IND.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #76
Phred
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only pre-order crazy. I ordered the painted reflectors, custom grille, and black exhaust surrounds from IND already.
Do we have a definitive answer on how easy/difficult it is to install the grilles (..) and surround? Herdalum's photos suggest pretty easy with the only caveat being how to manage the camera. Anyone overseas ordering from iND - wonder how much to ship grille and surround to Australia?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #77
jbx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 XDrive35i M-Sport

I found a local guy to me (North Miami) that is going to paint my grille gloss black, stripe it with M colors, vinyl over my front light "chrome", ///M stripes on the rear of the running boards, paint the exhaust tips gloss black, remove my emblems and replace with black ///M style emblems - $550 all in, parts/labor, just have to drop car off any morning, pick it up next afternoon (paint needs time to dry) - in fairness he told me he could let me keep the car without the grille but I'd rather just leave it overnight.

Ordering from some other place, would require me to actually work on the car myself and I'd rather just pay someone else to be fully responsible.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #78
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbx5 View Post
I found a local guy to me (North Miami) that is going to paint my grille gloss black, stripe it with M colors, vinyl over my front light "chrome", ///M stripes on the rear of the running boards, paint the exhaust tips gloss black, remove my emblems and replace with black ///M style emblems - $550 all in, parts/labor, just have to drop car off any morning, pick it up next afternoon (paint needs time to dry) - in fairness he told me he could let me keep the car without the grille but I'd rather just leave it overnight.

Ordering from some other place, would require me to actually work on the car myself and I'd rather just pay someone else to be fully responsible.
Paint usually chips. I would suggest to be careful with painting the chrome one you have.
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52262.00
      11-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #79
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbx5 View Post

We want to see finished pictures, of course.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #80
Phred
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post
Paint usually chips. I would suggest to be careful with painting the chrome one you have.
The F15 black grilles are black plastic and not painted - your point is taken - no chipping. From other posts I gather that iND are waiting for parts from BMW that they then paint to order (matte, gloss,,). So I guess they would be prone to chipping as well.

I wonder what's under the chrome on the grilles? Maybe black plastic, so all that would be needed (for matte at least) would be to strip the chrome. I think body shops would somehow manage to paint over the chrome (etch it, or maybe remove it) with a 2-pack paint that's pretty tough so maybe wouldn't chip all that easily.

Wouldn't it be nice if BMW just offered black grille (and surround) like they did on the F15...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #81
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
The F15 black grilles are black plastic and not painted - your point is taken - no chipping. From other posts I gather that iND are waiting for parts from BMW that they then paint to order (matte, gloss,,). So I guess they would be prone to chipping as well.

I wonder what's under the chrome on the grilles? Maybe black plastic, so all that would be needed (for matte at least) would be to strip the chrome. I think body shops would somehow manage to paint over the chrome (etch it, or maybe remove it) with a 2-pack paint that's pretty tough so maybe wouldn't chip all that easily.

Wouldn't it be nice if BMW just offered black grille (and surround) like they did on the F15...
The G05 grilles are plastic also. The “chrome” slats are attached to a black body and are actually separate pieces, but you can’t just get them offf and paint them... all of it is plastic, though. What I did was take the grille off, mask off the “chrome” surround and paint the slats with a spray paint designed for plastic. The masking was the most time consuming part of it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #82
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The G05 grilles are plastic also. The “chrome” slats are attached to a black body and are actually separate pieces, but you can’t just get them offf and paint them... all of it is plastic, though. What I did was take the grille off, mask off the “chrome” surround and paint the slats with a spray paint designed for plastic. The masking was the most time consuming part of it all.
I’m assuming IND would use some sort of hi grade epoxy paint... hope so anyway...

IND?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #83
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

This is a good thread. I’m looking forward to Seeing what iND offers here shortly.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #84
Phred
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What I did was take the grille off, mask off the “chrome” surround and paint the slats with a spray paint designed for plastic.
You were able to detach the entire surround and grilles!!! Fantastic, excellent! Any hits, tips, tricks,, more photos :-).. Did the camera just unplug or what?

Quote:
I’m assuming IND would use some sort of hi grade epoxy paint... hope so anyway...
Yea that's a good bet - body shops use a 2-pack epoxy. Half of my problem solved. I will remove and take to local body shop and have it sprayed! Excellent.

Now if I can just solve the black wheel problem. I have to confirm my December M50d build next Wednesday and black wheels are still a major issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #85
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
You were able to detach the entire surround and grilles!!! Fantastic, excellent! Any hits, tips, tricks,, more photos :-).. Did the camera just unplug or what?

Yea that's a good bet - body shops use a 2-pack epoxy. Half of my problem solved. I will remove and take to local body shop and have it sprayed! Excellent.

Now if I can just solve the black wheel problem. I have to confirm my December M50d build next Wednesday and black wheels are still a major issue.
Yeah, the surround and slats are basically one piece. What you’re seeing when you look between the slats with the grille on the car is the black vent system which stays on the vehicle. The grille is the surround and slats and just has tabs at the top which you depress to pull it away from the vehicle at the top, then you just wiggle it some and it will detach from the bottom. The camera is the tricky part. It’s held in there by three prongs which the IND guy told me would just unclip but I couldn’t get it to do that by myself, so I unplugged it, left it on the grill and just masked it off... that body shop idea sounds like a good one, no doubt cheaper than buying a whole new grille painted the way you want it. Where I live though it would probably have taken them a week to get around to painting it, so I’ll probably go the whole new grill route.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #86
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Yeah, the surround and slats are basically one piece. What you’re seeing when you look between the slats with the grille on the car is the black vent system which stays on the vehicle. The grille is the surround and slats and just has tabs at the top which you depress to pull it away from the vehicle at the top, then you just wiggle it some and it will detach from the bottom. The camera is the tricky part. It’s held in there by three prongs which the IND guy told me would just unclip but I couldn’t get it to do that by myself, so I unplugged it, left it on the grill and just masked it off... that body shop idea sounds like a good one, no doubt cheaper than buying a whole new grille painted the way you want it. Where I live though it would probably have taken them a week to get around to painting it, so I’ll probably go the whole new grill route.
Thanks for being the first to try this and sharing with the rest of us! Much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #87
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I have to say I have never understood on an M-sport where they black out all chrome trim how they leave the grill chrome - from a design perspective it just looks like they screwed up, every msport I have ever purchased I have had to go by the black grills (oh wait now I understand, it is an automatic way to make another $200 bucks from me)
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
      11-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #88
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I have to say I have never understood on an M-sport where they black out all chrome trim how they leave the grill chrome - from a design perspective it just looks like they screwed up, every msport I have ever purchased I have had to go by the black grills (oh wait now I understand, it is an automatic way to make another $200 bucks from me)
My CA called me the other day because he was keeping an eye out for me on the black grille situation and he told me that BMW didn’t even have anything planned for one. Apparently they either don’t like a black grille on this new X or they don’t want to bother with it and will let the aftermarket deal with it.
Appreciate 0