BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
bgalloway1
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

X5 G05 xDrive50 Sid Mirror Cap Replacement

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has a link or information on how to safely take off the mirror caps so that I can install some black or carbon fiber ones I saw on the following sites:

https://europeanautosource.com/autot...x6-g07-x7.html

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...mirror-cap-set
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 03:48 AM   #2
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I just did this on my x7.

something that made life easy: simply taking pictures of the pieces as I went with my phone, before pulling wires and after.

- aim the mirrors fully upward
- start from the outside lower corner
- use a wider trim tool (shoot for around 2" wide, over under isn't a big deal)
- press against the mirror over where your trim tool is pressing upward
- breathe, don't rip it off

You're going to pop it off from the corner and work your way inward along the bottom. Once the bottom's free, feed your hand in behind the mirror and see if you can pop it off--there's a real good chance you can.

passenger side mirror:

driver's side mirror:

keep an eye on what cables go where. for the outside light element's wire harness, you press down on the obvious tab on the harness, but then press the dark black plastic retaining tab down and it'll slide free easily. You can see the retaining tab in the passenger mirror picture pretty clearly (below the triangular element that is your blind spot warning light)

here's what we call a pro gamer move: have an assistant catch the caps as you pop them off and they suddenly take flight. No assistant? put down towels because they'll go flying.

yours are very likely like mine since all three odd-number models can rock the same mirror kits. You want to feed a screwdriver/prodding pokey thing of your choice in and press the mirror cap retainers -outboard- to release them. it might help to have a smaller trim tool wedged in around the outside of the cap. The holes you're poking into are at the top left (inboard and up) and immediately right (just outboard) of the circular motor in the picture above.

popping the glass back on is fairly easy. just remember you have it at an angle, not perfectly vertical.

if anyone's swapping for M mirrors, the 5 little torx screws (iirc, they're a size 9) are visible here and the surrounding ring pulls off easily, remembering there's a little catch on the inboard side right over the pivot, so bend the mirror back before pulling the surround off to replace it.
      07-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
bgalloway1
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post

something that made life easy: simply taking pictures of the pieces as I went with my phone, before pulling wires and after.

You're going to pop it off from the corner and work your way inward along the bottom. Once the bottom's free, feed your hand in behind the mirror and see if you can pop it off--there's a real good chance you can.

passenger side mirror:

driver's side mirror:

keep an eye on what cables go where. for the outside light element's wire harness, you press down on the obvious tab on the harness, but then press the dark black plastic retaining tab down and it'll slide free easily. You can see the retaining tab in the passenger mirror picture pretty clearly (below the triangular element that is your blind spot warning light)

here's what we call a pro gamer move: have an assistant catch the caps as you pop them off and they suddenly take flight. No assistant? put down towels because they'll go flying.

yours are very likely like mine since all three odd-number models can rock the same mirror kits. You want to feed a screwdriver/prodding pokey thing of your choice in and press the mirror cap retainers -outboard- to release them. it might help to have a smaller trim tool wedged in around the outside of the cap. The holes you're poking into are at the top left (inboard and up) and immediately right (just outboard) of the circular motor in the picture above.

popping the glass back on is fairly easy. just remember you have it at an angle, not perfectly vertical.

if anyone's swapping for M mirrors, the 5 little torx screws (iirc, they're a size 9) are visible here and the surrounding ring pulls off easily, remembering there's a little catch on the inboard side right over the pivot, so bend the mirror back before pulling the surround off to replace it.
Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
aao4473
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Just bought the TRE PERFORMANCE WING MIRROR UNITS, will install them next week and post pictures
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
aao4473
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post

passenger side mirror:

driver's side mirror:

What about the 360 cameras ?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

The cameras and mirror body are attached to the main mirror body. All you're pulling off is the mirror cap and rearward trim ring. If you look at the pic, the rear trim ring is still attached (didn't get a pic of it fully naked) but you can see that the turn signal, motor assembly are still on there. Go feel under the mirror where the camera lens is and you'll notice it's not built into the rear-most trim ring.

For reference:

this is what I'm calling the trim ring. There's no hole for the camera in it because the camera assembly is forward of this trim ring.

If this isn't clear, I'll brave the searing 90F heat to take some awkward photos of me pointing at things
      06-16-2022, 08:16 AM   #7
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

So, I attempted to change the mirror caps as everyone has instructed to do so here (pry the glass off, push the clips out, etc). I tried 3 times and couldn't get the glass off, and every time I felt like the risk of breaking the glass and/or f-ing up some of the wires behind the glass was going to happen.

Came across this video for the last gen X5, and process is the EXACT same on the G05, and I had the mirror cap off in 30 sec (NO MIRROR REMOVAL NEEDED).

Just figured I'd share as so many people have posted about how the F'd up trying to remove the glass. You don't need to (so hopefully this process gains more traction and helps folks out).
Chuck W.354.00
mobilejo1105.50
      11-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #8
elite-fusion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Anyone know the best way to make the inner pivot clip catch when chaging the inner surround as well? See photo to understand which clip I am talking about.
I replaced the covers but the inner clip just wont catch, either im not strong enough to push it in to the catching point, or perhaps just doing it wrong...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 10:33 PM   #9
paulrr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Anyone know the best way to make the inner pivot clip catch when chaging the inner surround as well? See photo to understand which clip I am talking about.
I replaced the covers but the inner clip just wont catch, either im not strong enough to push it in to the catching point, or perhaps just doing it wrong...
Mine clipped right in with minimal force, maybe your clip is broken or misaligned? There was no real trick to it, once aligned it clicked right in with a little pressure for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 10:46 PM   #10
karzrkewl90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 G05 2015 F15

Garage List
2023 G05  [0.00]
2015 F15  [0.00]
My issue was that the mirror housing was not fully pushed forward, so there was not enough clearance for it to properly engage the clip. Once I gave it a little push it clipped in with very little force.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 11:35 AM   #11
Andrewalker7
Shitbox Express
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
So, I attempted to change the mirror caps as everyone has instructed to do so here (pry the glass off, push the clips out, etc). I tried 3 times and couldn't get the glass off, and every time I felt like the risk of breaking the glass and/or f-ing up some of the wires behind the glass was going to happen.

Came across this video for the last gen X5, and process is the EXACT same on the G05, and I had the mirror cap off in 30 sec (NO MIRROR REMOVAL NEEDED).

Just figured I'd share as so many people have posted about how the F'd up trying to remove the glass. You don't need to (so hopefully this process gains more traction and helps folks out).
I've never seen a Youtube video that has given me so much anxiety and ambition at the same time. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0