Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I just look at them and remember the good ones. You can't look at it that specific.

You can see your board computer and switch between the different settings.

So it will show total electric drive, mean consumption, total km driven since

Factory
Last charge
Last fuel
Trip (same day stop less than 4h)
Custom (this one you can reset your self)

Mean electric cons it will only show when you are in full electric mode.

If you want to know how much electric on a single charge you put it on since last charge and you know the exact electric driven km.

If you put it on factory you know the total km electric driven. On thing is that after Idrive update that one resets to 0.

That is what happened to me after updating to 03/2020. So I put the BC on custom. That is since the update.

Did you set electric individual as default for start up? For me this is the best way to drive electric. It stays in electric longer than in hybrid.
I have set steering to sport because I prefer the feeling. I find the normal a bit to soft. Suspension in comfort. AC normal. If you put that on eco setting it gets to hit inside. Especially in the summer.

If your daily trip is on the highway and longer than 60km better drive in hybrid.

For longer road trips I put it in adaptive. I program the entire trip in the navigation (idrive) so that it can program the optimal battery use.
If I see my remaing trip is shorter than the electric range I put it in electric to have an empty battery up on arrival.

Hybrid or hybrid pro does a better job calculating arriving on an empty battery but I prefer adaptive driving mode. It changes gas respons and dampers according to your driving style.

In full electric or adaptive it also brakes more on the electric engine. So I just release the gas and it slows down. In hybrid it will switch to neutral and it does not really slow down. Unless you programmed the trip and activate active assistant (different name maybe).
Thanks.

What does the eboost / 100 80 60 20 mean in the instrument panel on the right side?
Eboost means That your electric engine gives an extra push with acceleration when in adaptive or hybrid. You will only see it when you accelerate hard or drive up hill. So in general you are more busy keeping an eye on the road in those situations.

The numbers stand for the % of power you are using.

So in electric only you can go up to 40% power electric only in hybrid it will switch the ICE on easier and at 30% of power. In full electric in stays in electric longer. You really have to push it more to turn the ICE on. That is convenient in electric only. If you want the ICE to switch on easily you can put it in adaptive. Or in sport it will be on all the time. But you still have to wait 1975 km for that 😜 (or not)

If you want to see what both engines are doing you can switch to energy flow display (energie stroom). It shows what engine is working and if the battery is being charged. It is in the same menu as the sport display.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #25
BryanC84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M Sport

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Congrats HeavyD!
Nice to see it finally delivered.

Now go enjoy it!
      07-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #26
bluetriangle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

If you put it on factory you know the total km electric driven. On thing is that after Idrive update that one resets to 0.

That is what happened to me after updating to 03/2020. So I put the BC on custom. That is since the update.
I don't understand why BMW would reset the total electric counter to 0 by the update. What is the point of that?

Personally I'm more interested in that little piece of information than any feature in that they might ever add.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:50 AM   #27
awosy
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Congrats on the delivery, seems you are having a great first experience with the car which made the wait worth while :-)
I really like those wheels, might get them as a second set on mine maybe later.
Are you still going for your holiday? If so, enjoy it and let us know about the experience with the 45e during.

PS: enjoy your title of person who had to wait longest on his 45e. You will lose it later this year to me :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:59 AM   #28
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetriangle View Post
Quote:

I don't understand why BMW would reset the total electric counter to 0 by the update. What is the point of that?

Personally I'm more interested in that little piece of information than any feature in that they might ever add.
I don't understand either. It frustrated me to. It's a thing I look at because it is a goal (for me) to drive as much amechtig as possible.

It is also a pity that they removed this part from the app. In my 40e it showed economy of the last trip and also total electric km and fuel saved. I hope it is coming back.

They are going to introduce BMW points for edrive. You get point each time you charge and double for driving electric in a city. It should be introduced in July. And also remote seat heating and ventilation with the CD app. So I am kind of expecting a CD app update.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 02:03 AM   #29
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awosy View Post
Congrats on the delivery, seems you are having a great first experience with the car which made the wait worth while :-)
I really like those wheels, might get them as a second set on mine maybe later.
Are you still going for your holiday? If so, enjoy it and let us know about the experience with the 45e during.

PS: enjoy your title of person who had to wait longest on his 45e. You will lose it later this year to me :-)
What is your ETD (expected time of delivery)

HeavyD has been working/suffering so hard to achieve this record. It would be nice if he could enjoy it for a couple more months.

I even wonder if this isn't the longest wait for a new BMW ever.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 02:10 AM   #30
awosy
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:
What is your ETD (expected time of delivery)

HeavyD has been working/suffering so hard to achieve this record. It would be nice if he could enjoy it for a couple more months.

I even wonder if this isn't the longest wait for a new BMW ever.
for now, it's said to be delivered first week of November, so hopefully I get an early Christmas present :-)
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      07-30-2020, 02:13 AM   #31
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Eboost means That your electric engine gives an extra push with acceleration when in adaptive or hybrid. You will only see it when you accelerate hard or drive up hill. So in general you are more busy keeping an eye on the road in those situations.

So in electric only you can go up to 40% power electric only in hybrid it will switch the ICE on easier and at 30% of power. In full electric in stays in electric longer. You really have to push it more to turn the ICE on. That is convenient in electric only. If you want the ICE to switch on easily you can put it in adaptive. Or in sport it will be on all the time. But you still have to wait 1975 km for that 😜 (or not)

If you want to see what both engines are doing you can switch to energy flow display (energie stroom). It shows what engine is working and if the battery is being charged. It is in the same menu as the sport display.
What is the best way to handle the break-in period ? I am assuming those 2000km is important for the ICE. But with regular charging/hybrid driving you probably don't use the ICE much.
Is there a specific way you handled this ?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:02 AM   #32
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Huge congrats! Looking sharp - and nice rims!

Will follow your experience with the new machine :-)

All best,
BXdriver
In the past: 20 Volvo XC60
In the past: 14 BMW X5 25d
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:33 AM   #33
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigolle View Post
Quote:

What is the best way to handle the break-in period ? I am assuming those 2000km is important for the ICE. But with regular charging/hybrid driving you probably don't use the ICE much.
Is there a specific way you handled this ?
Yes I got in December and went skiing end February. So I drove normally without going to fast or to high rev and not in sport (to much).

The trip to wintersport was +/- 1000 km and with the 300-400 Km visits to family with x-mass I did approximatively 2000 km with the ICE.

So just before entering the mountains after driving on the ICE for more than enough I put it in sport. For a short while, because the rest of the family was lest enthusiastic with me testing accelerations. Those things are better done without spectators.

I think the recommendation of 2000 km is standard but should be 2000 km on the ICE for the 45e. The tires, brakes and gear also need a break in but less than the engine it self.

I know there is discussion if it still necessary but this is how I did it.

It will be difficult these times. HeavyD is lucky he is going to Austria. So he can put some km on the ICE I would stay under 160 Km/h in Germany on the way there (at least the first 500 km) but on the way back it should be OK anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 04:11 AM   #34
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Yes I got in December and went skiing end February. So I drove normally without going to fast or to high rev and not in sport (to much).

The trip to wintersport was +/- 1000 km and with the 300-400 Km visits to family with x-mass I did approximatively 2000 km with the ICE.

So just before entering the mountains after driving on the ICE for more than enough I put it in sport. For a short while, because the rest of the family was lest enthusiastic with me testing accelerations. Those things are better done without spectators.

I think the recommendation of 2000 km is standard but should be 2000 km on the ICE for the 45e. The tires, brakes and gear also need a break in but less than the engine it self.

It will be difficult these times. HeavyD is lucky he is going to Austria. So he can put some km on the ICE I would stay under 160 Km/h in Germany on the way there (at least the first 500 km) but on the way back it should be OK anyway.
Hopefully I can leave for Austria next week.
I already did a little bit of sport driving

Last edited by Heavyd; 07-30-2020 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:06 AM   #35
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand either. It frustrated me to. It's a thing I look at because it is a goal (for me) to drive as much amechtig as possible.

It is also a pity that they removed this part from the app. In my 40e it showed economy of the last trip and also total electric km and fuel saved. I hope it is coming back.

They are going to introduce BMW points for edrive. You get point each time you charge and double for driving electric in a city. It should be introduced in July. And also remote seat heating and ventilation with the CD app. So I am kind of expecting a CD app update.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fyi, they just introduced the new "My BMW" app (for iOS at least, can't speak for android) which is supposed to be the replacement for the connecteddrive app.
I've already installed it and can login but obviously not able to test it yet without a car :-)
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      07-30-2020, 05:49 AM   #36
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fyi, they just introduced the new "My BMW" app (for iOS at least, can't speak for android) which is supposed to be the replacement for the connecteddrive app.
I've already installed it and can login but obviously not able to test it yet without a car :-)
I think that's what I am waiting for.

Thx

Installing it now

Edit: it is. So now it is showing the charging history. I will start a new post on this. Great.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #37
xigolle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Will also be planning a road trip (if corona lets us) when mine will be delivered so it easier to put some miles on it.
How did you make sure the car drove on the ICE ? Just draining the battery and go from there ?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #38
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Will also be planning a road trip (if corona lets us) when mine will be delivered so it easier to put some miles on it.
How did you make sure the car drove on the ICE ? Just draining the battery and go from there ?
If you have to do 1000 km and you leave with 100% and you can't charge most of the highway will be done on ICE.

The other trips were 300-400 km. So same principle. I knew I would only do 60 km electric.

I wanted the battery to be fully charged in the mountains to pre-heat in the winter.

So I started charging the battery 60 km before arrival and it was fully charged on arrival. Shorter would also have been ok. Still have to test that

This might also be a good idea in the summer. Pre cooling is great with 35 degrees outside.

So try to have a charged battery or at least 50-60% arriving at your destination. Unless you can charger at destination. Don't forget both cables 😉

Fuel consumption goes up to 15 l/km. So it's not economic at all.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #39
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you have to do 1000 km and you leave with 100% and you can't charge most of the highway will be done on ICE.

The other trips were 300-400 km. So same principle. I knew I would only do 60 km electric.

I wanted the battery to be fully charged in the mountains to pre-heat in the winter.

So I started charging the battery 60 km before arrival and it was fully charged on arrival. Shorter would also have been ok. Still have to test that

This might also be a good idea in the summer. Pre cooling is great with 35 degrees outside.

So try to have a charged battery or at least 50-60% arriving at your destination. Unless you can charger at destination. Don't forget both cables 😉

I drove to Austria today for our summer holiday. The car drives very well and smooth. Even with a loaded car I can't complain about power. Considering it's a +2 ton car. Most of the time cruising 140-150 km/h on the German Autobahn. But I couldn't resist to push a few times for a very short while to 210 km/h. Because I wouldn't stress the new engine too much. Going to 210 was very smooth and quick. The eboost kicked in Average fuel consumption is 10,3 liter since I departed this morning. My F16 30d had 9,6 liter for a similar trip.
Great car! I don't miss my F16 30d at all! This is much more relaxed and luxurious driving
Appreciate 3
volodp196.50
X5 45e1090.50
      08-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #40
bluetriangle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I drove to Austria today for our summer holiday. The car drives very well and smooth. Even with a loaded car I can't complain about power. Considering it's a +2 ton car. Most of the time cruising 140-150 km/h on the German Autobahn. But I couldn't resist to push a few times for a very short while to 210 km/h. Because I wouldn't stress the new engine too much. Going to 210 was very smooth and quick. The eboost kicked in Average fuel consumption is 10,3 liter since I departed this morning. My F16 30d had 9,6 liter for a similar trip.
Great car! I don't miss my F16 30d at all! This is much more relaxed and luxurious driving
Congrats on the car after such a long wait. Great to hear that it's so good on a high speed cruise! I thought I'd be using much more fuel than my F25 35D for our cross Europe trip to the in-laws (sadly postponed) but having done the maths I only got 9.7 litres last year.

Did you recharge the battery from the ICE along the way?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #41
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What fuel did you use? You asked this before and I used E5 98 to travel in France. My average was 9,9 but my max speed was 135 on the acc. Is you did with E10 95 I dint think it will make a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #42
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What fuel did you use? You asked this before and I used E5 98 to travel in France. My average was 9,9 but my max speed was 135 on the acc. Is you did with E10 95 I dint think it will make a big difference.
I used E10 95. Will 95 consume more than 98?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #43
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Congrats on the car after such a long wait. Great to hear that it's so good on a high speed cruise! I thought I'd be using much more fuel than my F25 35D for our cross Europe trip to the in-laws (sadly postponed) but having done the maths I only got 9.7 litres last year.

Did you recharge the battery from the ICE along the way?
Yes. I recharged from ICE twice but not completely.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #44
M-Powerd
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M4

Congrats Heavyd! Nice car! I just hit 5000 km today.
I'm always on 98, recommended by dealer, better for engine they claim...
Appreciate 0