BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2020, 01:44 AM   #67
svcauwen
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Yes it works. Only on the highway at higher speeds. And both sides of the lane recognised and the lane you are going to is free.

Acc on, an assisted driving (steering and speed).

Don't steer yourself because that cancels the action.

And do as you describe. It takes a bit getting used to find the correct point. A yellow arrow appears and the car starts steering.

Mine was delivered 12/2019 and it worked directly. Now o 03/2020 and still works.

TBH it works but I never use it. It is a bit less fluent than I would do my self. And it just takes time. For me it is a gimmick.
Lane change assist will work from the speed of 90 km/h. You just have to push to the resistant point once but not hold it; you just push (like when you do to pass another car; 3x blink) and then let it go again. However I find it more fluent when you change lanes yourself in assisted driving mode to pass another car and to change lanes. It will steer automatically again when you are nicely on the new lane.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:05 AM   #68
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Ok I'll try again I guess. Yesterday I was going on the E411 just indicating but not changing lanes all the time, I must have looked like a right idiot...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:15 AM   #69
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
Ok I'll try again I guess. Yesterday I was going on the E411 just indicating but not changing lanes all the time, I must have looked like a right idiot...
Mine wasn't working when I got the car so I disabled the function in the driver aids menu and enabled it again and it has been working flawless after that.
Used it a lot the first two weeks bit doing it myself again.
You need to start very early or it will slow down to avoid getting close to the car in front of you and will only start speeding up again when he completed to move to the left making everybody behind you have to brake too.

I only use it on an as good as empty highway.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:20 AM   #70
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Quote:
Not really on topic but since I guess there are a lot of Belgian owners reading here: has any of you managed to get the Lane change assistant working in Belgium?
I have the option activated in idrive, and I also checked with esys and there is no code 8TR in my FA, so I guess it should be working.
But in fact, when I am in assisted driving mode, with the assisted driving view displayed, I push the turnsignal stalk to the resistance point, hold it there, and nothing happens (aside from the turn signal activating obviously)
Yes it works. Only on the highway at higher speeds. And both sides of the lane recognised and the lane you are going to is free.

Acc on, an assisted driving (steering and speed).

And do as you describe. It takes a bit getting used to find the correct point. A yellow arrow appears and the car starts steering.

Mine was delivered 12/2019 and it worked directly. Now o 03/2020 and still works.

TBH it works but I never use it. It is a bit less fluent than I would do my self. And it just takes time. For me it is a gimmick.
I tried it several times on the highway when driving to Austria. I thought it worked but I guess it was me anticipating and slightly steering because I saw no yellow arrow. Assisted driving view is active and visible in the instrument cluster but no yellow arrow appeared.

How far do you have to push or hold the turn signal indicator? I just push until the point of resistance and then the turn indicator lights flash 3 times.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:21 AM   #71
Flippy_00
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 45e

Quote:
Try it by holding the steering wheel with your right hand, and just pushing the stalk with your left hand (not touching the steering wheel).
One you have done it several times, you can do it consistently with one hand.
The smallest steering action of your hands will cancel it.
You need to keep the stalk 'pushed' just before/until the HUD shows the initiated action. Bit tricky at first.

Feels very strange to cancel the process once initiated.
You start it to overtake a car, but the slower car switches lanes, so there is no more need to overtake. You use steering force to cancel the action, but the car swerves a bit because of that. Probably seems strange to other drivers around you...
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      08-07-2020, 02:33 AM   #72
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I tried it several times on the highway when driving to Austria. I thought it worked but I guess it was me anticipating and slightly steering because I saw no yellow arrow. Assisted driving view is active and visible in the instrument cluster but no yellow arrow appeared.

How far do you have to push or hold the turn signal indicator? I just push until the point of resistance and then the turn indicator lights flash 3 times.
My experience is that is does not always work. Sometimes it simply refuses to automatically change lanes. Never found a reason why. On a quiet night I drove for 5 min behind a slow semi trying to figure out why it wouldn't change lanes.

When it does work I find it too slow. It waits too long before actually changing lanes. Car starts to slow down because you approach the car in front of you, then it starts changing lanes and accelerates again. Found it irritating at times so I rarely use is.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:40 AM   #73
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
On a quiet night I drove for 5 min behind a slow semi trying to figure out why it wouldn't change lanes.
Probably because the semi was doing 80 km/h and the speed needs to be over 90 for the system to work
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:44 AM   #74
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy_00 View Post
Quote:
Try it by holding the steering wheel with your right hand, and just pushing the stalk with your left hand (not touching the steering wheel).
One you have done it several times, you can do it consistently with one hand.
The smallest steering action of your hands will cancel it.
You need to keep the stalk 'pushed' just before/until the HUD shows the initiated action. Bit tricky at first.

Feels very strange to cancel the process once initiated.
You start it to overtake a car, but the slower car switches lanes, so there is no more need to overtake. You use steering force to cancel the action, but the car swerves a bit because of that. Probably seems strange to other drivers around you...
So I need to keep the stalk pushed at the resisting point until I see the yellow arrow? I just went to the resisting point when the lights blink 3 times and I direcly let it loose.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:47 AM   #75
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes just to the point when you feel the resistance and keep it there for a second or two and the arrow appears in assisted driving view.

And as mentioned you need to activate the option

So once you no how to do it and you have shown your wife and kids how cool your car is you will stop using it because it is not practical at all. Just like automatic parking. It does the job but for now you can do it better your self.

But you want to know if it works off course and until you do you can't let it go. Just like me not being able to activate BMW points until I get home to activate my charging card that should be in the mailbox. And after that probably not using it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #76
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

So once you no how to do it and you have shown your wife and kids how cool your car is you will stop using it because it is not practical at all. Just like automatic parking. It does the job but for now you can do it better your self.
Now I feel even more like an idiot, I use automatic parking all the time
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:15 AM   #77
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes just to the point when you feel the resistance and keep it there for a second or two and the arrow appears in assisted driving view.

But you want to know if it works off course and until you do you can't let it go. Just like me not being able to activate BMW points until I get home to activate my charging card that should be in the mailbox. And after that probably not using it anymore.
Exactly

Mailed the dealer about the sunroof that I had to reset already twice and 3d remote view that suddenly doesn't work anymore. I get the message that the camera system can't be activated. The mirrors unfold and then it stops. But it has worked!

Dealer said to make an appointment nothing more. I really don't want to go up that path that the car will be days in the shop for something probably software related. Or that they are beginning to change parts in the hope to resolve it. Parts that probably don't need to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:42 AM   #78
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly

Mailed the dealer about the sunroof that I had to reset already twice and 3d remote view that suddenly doesn't work anymore. I get the message that the camera system can't be activated. The mirrors unfold and then it stops. But it has worked!

Dealer said to make an appointment nothing more. I really don't want to go up that path that the car will be days in the shop for something probably software related. Or that they are beginning to change parts in the hope to resolve it. Parts that probably don't need to be changed.
I would start with the idrive update before they start messing around with your roof and inducing a leaking.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:45 AM   #79
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Tried 3D remote view again. I saw this message flashing by in the connected drive app.
Saying remote 3D isn't available in this country.

Then came this message and this stayed visible.
Saying remote service could not be executed.

So isn't 3d remote view not allowed in Austria?
Strange that the message also says or neighboring country

Is there an Austrian in the house who can confirm this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:48 AM   #80
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Now I feel even more like an idiot, I use automatic parking all the time
Sorry. 😜

When do you use it? Maybe there is a specific parking condition that car does a better job than I would?

With surround view and IAS and the passenger mirror folding down parking is quite easy.

Lots of Belgium forum members on 😎☀️holiday like me? Very quick answers.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:28 AM   #81
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Apparently no remote 3D view possible in Austria :

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/remo...-t6043320.html
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1090.50
volodp196.50
      08-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #82
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Sorry. 😜

When do you use it? Maybe there is a specific parking condition that car does a better job than I would.
Whenever it offers I’m just lazy I guess and the option gets cheaper per use the more you use it

It usually does a well enough job but I agree you can do better manually.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #83
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

"I got me a X5 45e"
Every time I see this title it makes my eyes hurt.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #84
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
"I got me a X5 45e"
Every time I see this title it makes my eyes hurt.
Why?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #85
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Quote:
Why?
Grammar and stuff ...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #86
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Quote:
Why?
Grammar and stuff ...
My native language is not English and I had a good idea it was grammatically incorrect.

It was then also inspired by the B-52's Love Shack. "I got me a car it's as big as a whale...". Too bad nobody made the connection.
Appreciate 2
Sirksael102.50
volodp196.50
      08-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #87
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Same here: not a native speaker.

And no, I did not make that connection - but I really like it!

So, quick grammar explanation from non-native speaker to non-native speaker:

The indefinite article "a" (as in "I got me a X5 as big as a whale") turns into "an" if the following word begins with the sound(!) of a vowel.

Now the letter X in X5 is clearly not a vowel, but when you speak it out loud, it is pronounced like /æks/ or /eks/ in IPA notation, so it does start with a vowel sound.

Thus, long story short, "I got me an X5 as big as a whale" would be an awesome title for this thread.

Last edited by Caramel; 08-07-2020 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:16 PM   #88
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Quote:
My native language is not English and I had a good idea it was grammatically incorrect.

It was then also inspired by the B-52's Love Shack. "I got me a car it's as big as a whale...". Too bad nobody made the connection.
My bad...too old to make the connection.
Appreciate 0