08-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #23
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Lesson learnt from the pics: Ivory White/Night Blue does not really go well with wooden trims.
I think a darker shade of wood looks great. My friends and everyone who's sat inside agrees.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      08-04-2020, 05:44 AM   #24
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
The open cup holders aren't a deal breaker for me, I get they bother a lot of people though. I have a water cup with me pretty much whenever I leave the house (I live in central TX) so my cup holders were never covered on my BMWs either.

Right, but the difference is choices. The reason why "Gesture Control" isn't a gimmick, because it didn't take away the other ways you can interact with the system, it simply added one more, which you can totally ignore and not using it; but just because a percentage of the population (I'd presume a small percentage) might "never" close the lid (which I doubt, like not even once? ever?), doesn't justify the ugliness and reason for not designing a proper interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #25
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Lesson learnt from the pics: Ivory White/Night Blue does not really go well with wooden trims.

Yep, says the graduate of Parsons and Central Saint Martins, eh!?!

That's why BMW designed the Ivory White/Night Blue with the Individual Fine Wood Ash Grain High Gloss Silver and matching blue Alcantara headliner to be used as the X7 showcase colour. But you know says the graduate of the top two design schools in the world

Lesson taught, and class dismissed: the only trim matches the Ivory White/Night Blue perfectly is the Individual Fine Wood Ash Grain High Gloss Silver, while everyone has different opinions and tastes and can choose whatever they like, that's besides the point!

p.s. the other only trim (a dark option) should be optioned would be the Fineline Black Wood
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #26
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Unless, of course, you get an EU model. For some reason, VAG decided Americans would prefer open, unfinished cup holders splayed across the center console...

Vice this (note also the Auto Hold button, not present on US models - Americans prefer to have a dummy button rather than this functional feature):

That's just the difference between cheap models and flagship models like only the A8, Q7 and Q8 with exceptions of Q7 and Q8 not having the cover in North American market.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #27
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I think a darker shade of wood looks great. My friends and everyone who's sat inside agrees.

Oh he trolling. He knows, loves, appreciates and is jealous of the interior, but he was cramping my style in another post which you also chimed in, and I "put him in his place" . His "input" was a swipe at me and out of both sides. So that's that
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #28
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Unless, of course, you get an EU model. For some reason, VAG decided Americans would prefer open, unfinished cup holders splayed across the center console...
The open cup holders are larger than the covered ones for all our Big Gulps. That's the reason
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #29
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
The open cup holders are larger than the covered ones for all our Big Gulps. That's the reason
That's the reason frequently given, but the real reason is $$. A fully-optioned European Q7/Q8 is considerably more expensive than a fully-optioned US model, even discounting taxes and exchange rates. VAG just made the corporate decision that Americans would buy them anyway, and they do. Apparently they've rethought some of their choices, because formerly missing features for US cars (prior to MY20), have now been included as options - for example, true Parking Assist (although a dumbed-down version), laser headlights (with headlight washers - although still missing in standard lighting), and leather on the upper door cards. Nothing to do with US regulatory requirements (like matrix lighting), which BMW is also missing. To be fair, you can still configure your US Q7 with soft-close doors, alcantara, night vision, upgraded sound (B&O), and IAS in their non-S power plant options in the Prestige trim, which in your 2021 BMW X you cannot, and they have an arguably more appealing color palette, which includes more options than shades of black and white.

Last edited by Paladin1; 08-04-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #30
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
That's the reason frequently given, but the real reason is $$. A fully-optioned European Q7/Q8 is considerably more expensive than a fully-optioned US model, even discounting taxes and exchange rates. VAG just made the corporate decision that Americans would buy them anyway, and they do. Apparently they've rethought some of their choices, because formerly missing features for US cars (prior to MY20), have now been included as options - for example, true Parking Assist (although a dumbed-down version), laser headlights (with headlight washers - although still missing in standard lighting), and leather on the upper door cards. Nothing to do with US regulatory requirements (like matrix lighting), which BMW is also missing. To be fair, you can still configure your US Q7 with soft-close doors, alcantara, night vision and IAS in any of their power plant options, which in your 2021 BMW X you cannot, and they have an arguably more appealing color palette, which includes more options than shades of black and white.
If you look at the picture of the open cup holders, they go right to the edge of the space. There is no room for the open door to go. They may have done it to save money, but the open cup holders are in fact larger than the ones you get with the door. Only Audi knows the real reason for designing it 2 ways.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #31
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSAC View Post
Quote:
The open cup holders aren't a deal breaker for me, I get they bother a lot of people though. I have a water cup with me pretty much whenever I leave the house (I live in central TX) so my cup holders were never covered on my BMWs either.

Right, but the difference is choices. The reason why "Gesture Control" isn't a gimmick, because it didn't take away the other ways you can interact with the system, it simply added one more, which you can totally ignore and not using it; but just because a percentage of the population (I'd presume a small percentage) might "never" close the lid (which I doubt, like not even once? ever?), doesn't justify the ugliness and reason for not designing a proper interior.
Haha, I suppose they were closed when I picked up my ordered vehicles at the dealership. The funny thing is that no mater what forum you are on, that vehicle design is perfect, sort of a feedback loop as to why their purchase choice is superior I suppose. I do agree the open cupholders look a bit unfinished in the Cayenne, but it is the only piece that looks that way and it really wasn't a big deal to me. I like the interior of the G05, but the driving dynamics just weren't there for me personally.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #32
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
If you look at the picture of the open cup holders, they go right to the edge of the space. There is no room for the open door to go. They may have done it to save money, but the open cup holders are in fact larger than the ones you get with the door. Only Audi knows the real reason for designing it 2 ways.
That's correct, as I had the opportunity to discuss with some of their corporate executives in Ingolstadt last Summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:54 AM   #33
wzguntx
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Move up to Club Leather on the Cayenne, full leather including the dash.
Porsche is nice and i am consider about it.
But it doesn't have leather around glove box and under the wheel.
I think they should called it "full leather".
The interior of Panamera I think it's better than Cayenne.
The interior of new X5 is a huge improvement than old X5 if go to full options.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #34
wzguntx
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Wait, especially you wanted Full Merino and in Ivory White/Night Blue colour and the matching Alcantara headliner. If also added the B&W sound system and the right trims, that's an interior looks and feels more expensive and luxurious than other other options BMW has, not to mention make any other car in this class looks cheap in comparison.

Attachment 2380298

Attachment 2380299

Attachment 2380300
You are right! That's the exactly what i want, i want the B&W, so that's the reason why i want that Acoustic glass.
The only option that i don't care is "night vision".
The trim we prefer the other one, but i have tons of time right now to consider about it.
As you said, when we build the full leather white & blue with matching headliner, it looks so stunning and amazing, so it's our first choice.
Hope they will bring those options back asap.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #35
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzguntx View Post
Quote:
Move up to Club Leather on the Cayenne, full leather including the dash.
The base interior is plastic there, the full and club leather has leather around the glove box, the door to the glove box and the bottom of the dash.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #36
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Yep, says the graduate of Parsons and Central Saint Martins, eh!?!

That's why BMW designed the Ivory White/Night Blue with the Individual Fine Wood Ash Grain High Gloss Silver and matching blue Alcantara headliner to be used as the X7 showcase colour. But you know says the graduate of the top two design schools in the world

Lesson taught, and class dismissed: the only trim matches the Ivory White/Night Blue perfectly is the Individual Fine Wood Ash Grain High Gloss Silver, while everyone has different opinions and tastes and can choose whatever they like, that's besides the point!

p.s. the other only trim (a dark option) should be optioned would be the Fineline Black Wood
or Piano Black
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #37
Prancing Cow
Rep
Drives: -

Before configuring my X5, I had the opportunity to visit the Swiss "brand experience center" where they had about 15 X5s with all kind of exterior and interior color colors on display to get a better impression of what things look like in real life.

I also had the chance to take a close look at the ivory/navy blue combo. For those looking to pick these seats, I would strongly recommend the carbon, aluminium or black trims.

Dark wood trims would be the next best alternative. The light ash inlays posted above are a great match for the plain ivory leather, but they clash with the navy blue elements.

Last edited by Prancing Cow; 08-04-2020 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #38
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

i still don't get the appeal of carbon fiber. it's just plastic. I know its used for its weight reduction and high strength properties in sports cars and the like, but I think it looks really cheap because its not a natural material. idk maybe its just me. then again I never liked the trend towards having stainless steel appliances in the home kitchen either.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #39
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
or Piano Black

The reason why Piano Black doesn't work as well especially in a G05 and G07 is due to the large flat surface in the middle and doesn't have good transition from the upper Night Blue into the lower Ivory White portion. Too sudden of a change in colour blockings and it creates separations thus incoherence.

A good example of how colour transitions work in proper designs especially when it's stacked as a colour blocking technique, would be to take cues from any high fashion or Haute Couture runway pieces. From one solid colour to another, you'd have a few pieces in between that feature either the primary or secondary colours, with Ombre or gradual transitions into the next colour palettes. Sometimes there are also a few "overblown" colourful pieces but you'd always be ale to pick out the coluor theme so to speak
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #40
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Haha, I suppose they were closed when I picked up my ordered vehicles at the dealership. The funny thing is that no mater what forum you are on, that vehicle design is perfect, sort of a feedback loop as to why their purchase choice is superior I suppose. I do agree the open cupholders look a bit unfinished in the Cayenne, but it is the only piece that looks that way and it really wasn't a big deal to me. I like the interior of the G05, but the driving dynamics just weren't there for me personally.

Yeah we're all biased in our opinions and choices, so I totally understand why one thing isn't a big deal to someone would be a huge no no to me.

And like I've said many times, surveys or opinions from others are just noise, you're the one who's paying for it, so choose what you love and love what you love. As long as you get the most pleasure out of your choices, to hell with whatever anyone else thinks
Appreciate 1
TXSchnee1307.50
      08-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #41
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
i still don't get the appeal of carbon fiber. it's just plastic. I know its used for its weight reduction and high strength properties in sports cars and the like, but I think it looks really cheap because its not a natural material. idk maybe its just me. then again I never liked the trend towards having stainless steel appliances in the home kitchen either.

I get the appeal and with the "right" choice or colour scheme it works better than metal and wood trims.

But with our interior colour, it's absolutely an abomination. The rule of thumb is to pick a general theme then select the pieces and colours to fit in that narrative. Ivory White/Night Blue is a purely luxury sense of occasion, while Carbon Fiber expresses sportiness. Thus a red interior always works perfectly with Carbon Fiber trims, and depending on the shade, so would certain wood and metal trims (like those in Bentley and Roll-Royce), which do require some viewings before selecting the "perfect" match; while the red and Carbon combo, will work without thinking, looking and considering, just works. And also why the two metal trims BMW offers won't work with this colour interior at all. The Ivory White on its own can sorta get away with all trims, because it's literally a blank canvas, and any splash of colour would simply add character to it, however, with the shade of white BMW chose (Ivory), it's also why no matter what trims (colour) you add to it, it simply doesn't pop or stand out, that's why I've called it "meh" a few times and some members weren't happy about that
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      08-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #42
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Then why the flagship A8 always have a covered cupholder? I suppose when you can afford more expensive cars, you don't drink big cups. I can attest to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #43
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's correct, as I had the opportunity to discuss with some of their corporate executives in Ingolstadt last Summer.

Well, worldwide only the A8, Q7 and Q8 have cupholder lid, and only the A8 have lid in Canada and the US. So any explanations were given till this point are contradictory and out of both sides from the company.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #44
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzguntx View Post

Actually the only difference is in design language, since I always have my car fully optioned with all the leather possible to have haha, I didn't notice any differences in quality or level of luxury among the F15 (Individual, back when it meant something), F86, G05, G06 and G07.
Appreciate 0