Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
552 Adaptive full LED headlamps are ONLY manufactured with "U" DRLs:

- Only the outer projector units illuminate
- Inner units are dummy units and do not illuminate
- There isn't a thing as 552 with Icon DRLs
- Photos provided earlier in thread

Icon DRLs are ONLY manufactured with 5AZ Adaptive full LED with Laser Lights
Good Afternoon -

I'm new and currently looking for the possibly new lease to '21 X5 45e. After searching the info about its LED headlight, I found your posts useful and interesting in this thread. Thank you.

However, you mentioned that Adaptive full LED headlamps don't have the turn signals with the led brow over the headlights. Is this the new configuration in the newer model?

My current '18 X5 with the lighting package also shows "552 Adaptive Full LED Lights, and they do have the LED brow over the headlights.

Just curious.

Thank you.

Ray
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #46
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayny View Post
Good Afternoon -

I'm new and currently looking for the possibly new lease to '21 X5 45e. After searching the info about its LED headlight, I found your posts useful and interesting in this thread. Thank you.

However, you mentioned that Adaptive full LED headlamps don't have the turn signals with the led brow over the headlights. Is this the new configuration in the newer model?

My current '18 X5 with the lighting package also shows "552 Adaptive Full LED Lights, and they do have the LED brow over the headlights.

Just curious.

Thank you.

Ray
Afternoon Ray,

Ja, 552 Adaptive full LED headlight unit configuration is new and standard across all G05 X5s and is step down compared to the previous generation F15 X5 552s.

You'd need to option ZPX Executive Package, which includes 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight, to upgrade to headlights that are equivalent to the old F15 552s.

As mentioned earlier, G05 552 Adaptive Full LED Lights headlamps have LED turn indicators next to the low beam/high beam headlight units, dummy inner headlight units, U shaped DRLs, and no cornering lights.

USA 552

Name:  253a9fa010d7476c950693ce8ed43e3a.jpg
Views: 3282
Size:  14.1 KB

I modified G05 Technical Doc for this discussion.

Name:  01557017593.png
Views: 3536
Size:  186.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayny View Post
Ja, I had a MY2017 F15 optioned ($1900 back then - yikes) with 552 Full LED headlamps with LED turn signal brows - they were visually striking.

Name:  2016-10-01 11.25.22.jpg
Views: 3246
Size:  477.9 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 08-10-2020 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #47
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I will make it very simple.....”You need Laser lights” if you are buying a new luxury BMW vehicle.
Enough said
      08-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #48
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
I'm also UK based.

Original car I ordered had Laserlights but was swiped from under my nose before dealer placed order to move from other dealership due to chit chat.

Ended up with a Adaptive LED lights car. Coming from a G30 with Icons it was Imperative that I had at least adaptive LED's.

I was disappointed by the "lesser" look compared to Laserlights when placing the order but since owning the car they have grown on me.

In my opinion, they actually look better and considering that BMW is quickly moving away from the traditional angel eye look which is more apparent in the Laserlights, it's oddly the "lesser" lights that are more akin to the design language going forwards.

In terms of performance, they are 100% adequate. They do very well around town with cornering and superb on motorway with the auto dip and tunnelling either side of cars ahead of you. Never have I found them insufficient.

It should also be noted that (from what I have read) EU adaptive LED's have far more functionality than US counterparts so be careful when reading post in respect of which market someone is relating their experience from.

Finally, if you have paid for Laserlights (around £700/800 more) i would be expecting the dealer to reimburse you the full cost of the option and not charge for the adaptive LEDs plus throw in a little cherry on top as a bonus. Otherwise I'd be walking away from the deal.
Yup agree 100% with this. I’m UK based too and the laser lights offered nothing but bragging rights given the adaptive LEDs have great functionality (and look better in the day in my opinion). I’d only have lasers if I was in the US.
I thought long and hard about the laser light option, as well as acoustic glass, and ultimately decided against both. Night time performance with adaptive LED's is excellent, never once felt the need for more. For MY21, it ends up being a decision whether or not you want Executive package.
Unit218.50
      08-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #49
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

I thought i saw in this thread someone say that if you're high beams (lasers) are on they will dim/off automatically when another car approaches? I tried that last night on a dark country road and got flashed by an oncoming car. guess he wasn't too happy with me.

thought i saw something about this here but can't find the post.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #50
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
I thought i saw in this thread someone say that if you're high beams (lasers) are on they will dim/off automatically when another car approaches? I tried that last night on a dark country road and got flashed by an oncoming car. guess he wasn't too happy with me.

thought i saw something about this here but can't find the post.
You have to activated the automatic function with one of the two buttons on the left stick behind your steering wheel. The car will then decide if you need high beam and when to turn it off again or if it is possible to stay on high beam and adapt it to the car I front if you or approaching. You will see the light beam change and partially turn off where there is a car in front of you.

If you put on high beam like you would normally do, you just turn it on all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #51
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
You have to activated the automatic function with one of the two buttons on the left stick behind your steering wheel. The car will then decide if you need high beam and when to turn it off again or if it is possible to stay on high beam and adapt it to the car I front if you or approaching. You will see the light beam change and partially turn off where there is a car in front of you.

If you put on high beam like you would normally do, you just turn it on all the time.
Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #52
rayny
Registered
Rep
Drives: '18 X5 40e

Quote:
Afternoon Ray,

Ja, 552 Adaptive full LED headlight unit configuration is new and standard across all G05 X5s and is step down compared to the previous generation F15 X5 552s.

You'd need to option ZPX Executive Package, which includes 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight, to upgrade to headlights that are equivalent to the old F15 552s.

As mentioned earlier, G05 552 Adaptive Full LED Lights headlamps have LED turn indicators next to the low beam/high beam headlight units, dummy inner headlight units, U shaped DRLs, and no cornering lights.

USA 552

Attachment 2385902

I modified G05 Technical Doc for this discussion.

Attachment 2385903

Ja, I had a MY2017 F15 optioned ($1900 back then - yikes) with 552 Full LED headlamps with LED turn signal brows - they were visually striking.

Attachment 2385904
Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:01 AM   #53
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

Quote:
Thank you!!
Unfortunately for you, the anti-dazzle feature is not available on US cars regardless whether you have laserlights or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #54
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
Quote:
Thank you!!
Unfortunately for you, the anti-dazzle feature is not available on US cars regardless whether you have laserlights or not.
Yet most posts here from U.S. members screaming that you shouldn't have an X5 with anything less than Laserlights when their Laserlights are inferior to EU Adaptive LED's :
Reading the posts most chose laser light for the looks not for functionality. So did I.

Up to everyone to make a personal choice if it's worth it or not. For me it was.

Same thing for m pack, 22 inch wheels, glass controls, merino, ....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #55
darioenter
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d f10

Quote:
Reading the posts most chose laser light for the looks not for functionality. So did I.

Up to everyone to make a personal choice if it's worth it or not. For me it was.

That is the problem, you cant make a choice until you try it. In order to try it good you would need to drive it for some time in a different weather conditions.
Usualy you cant do that when buying new car. For that reason you rely on Bmw to explain to you that "this is new technology, it is much better, safer bla bla bla then Adaptive LED, and for those reasons it is 2000 eur option"
But in case of laser lights those reasons are just not enough.
After having 1 year with laser lights, I realised my car is actually 99% time Adaptive Led and 1 % time of me asking myself: hmmm ok..... I think that laser lights might be on right now.
Im not saying that laser lights are not good, just saying they are not that better then adaptive led (if any)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #56
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I did know it was overkill for my needs. Just look for a sattelite view at night, Belgium is known as the golden triangle
It just looks great and cool. If you take almost every option available it would be pathetic not to take the laser lights. It's the cherry on the pie
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      08-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #57
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darioenter View Post
Quote:

That is the problem, you cant make a choice until you try it. In order to try it good you would need to drive it for some time in a different weather conditions.
Usualy you cant do that when buying new car. For that reason you rely on Bmw to explain to you that "this is new technology, it is much better, safer bla bla bla then Adaptive LED, and for those reasons it is 2000 eur option"
But in case of laser lights those reasons are just not enough.
After having 1 year with laser lights, I realised my car is actually 99% time Adaptive Led and 1 % time of me asking myself: hmmm ok..... I think that laser lights might be on right now.
Im not saying that laser lights are not good, just saying they are not that better then adaptive led (if any)
That is exactly my point too. But I really like the looks.

And as Heavyd says. If you are buying a full option you should also take the lasers.

And BMW just wants to sell their expensive lasers. So good commercial thinking of BMW making them look better (subjective, I know). If they looked the same as the LED's nobody would buy them.

Just like only having painted wheel arches and bumpers with the M pack. I absolutely didn't want the plastic parts so I had to take the M pack.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:03 AM   #58
AlexDragu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

Hello,
I have experience with led for almost one year, and yesterday i have retrofited my car with the laserlight, it is a big difference between both of them, both adaptive, laserlight makes a more compact light on the ground well spreaded instead of led adaptive witch has had spots where the light was faded, yes in town you won t see the difference because of the town lights, but on the highway country roads is no term of comparation, is 10x time better, led on country roads made a square on the middle of the road and if you turn a little bit that square go s into the woods road it won t be well illuminated, on the laser is all the road illuminated. If you're a town driver led adaptive is ok, if you are highways driver or roads very poor illuminated laser is your choice. This is my experience with both of them tested on same car.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1077.00
XSnake1.50
      08-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #59
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Talking about DRL. If thought a G30 LCI was driving behind me yesterday but is was actually a new golf.

And it looks like the new Skoda Octavia also has the same designed DRL.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #60
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Adaptive LED with cornering lights are perfectly adequate and do a great job in these cars.

I'm not too fascinated or hung up by DRLs, angel eyes, LEDs, Lasers, cornering,anti-dazzle... - or anything else they come out with to charge us extra for something that does that already does the job well. I'm just glad they're LED based and I wont have to change the "bulb" for the life of the car (which I assume is correct, I stand to be corrected?), and that's enough for me.

The X5 is a handsome and good looking SUV, not matter what headlight option you have, and I'm not going to sit out there in front of my car and stare at the headlight compartment looking for small subtle differences. Seriously?

I sit in my car behind my headlights that illuminate the road. Job done, QED, its not worth stressing over.

1st world problem guys.....

Last edited by James_G0540i; 08-13-2020 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:47 AM   #61
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstr8 View Post
Coming from an Audi S6 twin turbo V8 with 605 Hp, and a 2017 GTR with a twin turbo 6 tuned to 850... Size doesn't really matter.

I'm not really sure he's - Originally Posted by sjak92 - "jealous" of your V8.

For me - I'd take a 6 in the UK versus an 8 in Florida any day.

#FlameSuitOn #WontBeBackToThisThread. #MyLEDsAreFine #SenseOfHumor
Other way round, he was bragging about the V8 not me. And I 100% agree with you.

Anything over 6 cylinders in Europe makes very little sense as a daily driver due to fuel costs (the single advantage of the USA - cheap fuel) and I actually prefer a diesels characteristic for everyday use to a petrol.

My 30d makes a non stock 794nm of torque and for the size of the thing, it's fast. Even if you have an X5M it's never going to be a sports car so pointless in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:56 AM   #62
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Adaptive LED with cornering lights are perfectly adequate and do a great job in these cars.

I'm not too fascinated or hung up by DRLs, angel eyes, LEDs, Lasers, cornering,anti-dazzle... - or anything else they come out with to charge us extra for something that does that already does the job well. I'm just glad they're LED based and I wont have to change the "bulb" for the life of the car (which I assume is correct, I stand to be corrected?), and that's enough for me.

The X5 is a handsome and good looking SUV, not matter what headlight option you have, and I'm not going to sit out there in front of my car and stare at the headlight compartment looking for small subtle differences. Seriously?

I sit in my car behind my headlights that illuminate the road. Job done, QED, its not worth stressing over.

1st world problem guys.....
Again, 100% agreed.

In terms of LED's, you'd be surprised. My old G30 LED failed - oddly enough the actual LED Angel eye turned yellow - not the best pic sorry.

End result was a complete new headlight and module at a whopping £3k plus including labour - thankfully covered under warranty
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #63
XSnake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 18 X5 40e, 15 528

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
I heard for a long time now, 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight is not available to order for some non X5 models unless it it is M. Can anyone tell how far Laser goes in US vs. regular Adaptive Full LED Lights? I heard in US, the distance limit is much shorter than the technology allows. I wonder how much I would miss by not having it. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #64
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSnake View Post
I heard for a long time now, 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight is not available to order for some non X5 models unless it it is M. Can anyone tell how far Laser goes in US vs. regular Adaptive Full LED Lights? I heard in US, the distance limit is much shorter than the technology allows. I wonder how much I would miss by not having it. Thanks.
In the USA for MY20 it was available on all model lines xDrive40i xLine/M Sport and M50i, either as a single option or with the Executive Package. For MY21, it's only available with the Executive Package across all X5 model lines.

Basically Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight are enhanced fully adaptive LED lights where the high beam is supported through Laser technology with an overall maximum illumination range of up to 500m (1640ft).

I can't recall, don't quote me on this, but it's reduced to 300m or less for USA.

TurtleBoy will correct me

Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy12885.00
XSnake1.50
      08-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #65
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
IBasically Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with Laserlight are enhanced fully adaptive LED lights where the high beam is supported through Laser technology with an overall maximum illumination range of up to 500m (1640ft).

I can't recall, don't quote me on this, but it's reduced to 300m or less for USA.

TurtleBoy will correct me
I can't correct but will submit some information I found from a few years ago which may or may not apply today. It says the Laser Light has a visual range up to 600m and for the US that will be reduced by around 30% so that would be around 420m.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2015/11/17...ing-to-the-us/
Appreciate 1
XSnake1.50
      08-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #66
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Here's my review of the US spec lazer lights. When it's dark outside I can't see. The headlights come on and then I can see. So they do their job perfectly. The end.
Appreciate 3