Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Have been running the Dinan piggyback (Sport) and pleased. Will also be posting a review after I get some more miles on it.
Any updates on this?
I continue to run it (have had it on for about 9k miles). Good boost in power with no impacts to smoothness or driveability. Had it in a mix of hot and cold weather, towing a camper, long trips and city traffic. Great upgrade for the $.
Any issues with it? Any warranty concerns? Have you taken it for servicing during the times it's been installed?
No issues with it. I've taken the car in for an oil change and didn't remove it - the dealer didn't say anything or note it on my paperwork. As far as warranty goes, I'd expect that if I had a catastrophic engine issue it could come up, but it's a very mild tune.

Some people remove them before going in for service. It's so easy to do that might be a good idea.
Wouldn't they be able to check that this was done even if it was removed?

I'm thinking about doing the Racechip Black package.
I'm not sure. I've read about plenty of people with piggybacks who have issues, remove the tune, and get warranty work done. The consensus is that BMW would have to look for it.
      09-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #68
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

unless you overboost hard on a custom map or race gas map- and dont clear codes. theres no real reason a piggyback is detectable once removed.
      09-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #69
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Wouldn't they be able to check that this was done even if it was removed?
Quote:
I'm not sure. I've read about plenty of people with piggybacks who have issues, remove the tune, and get warranty work done. The consensus is that BMW would have to look for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
theres no real reason a piggyback is detectable once removed.
Just a heads up that BMWNA doesn't have to prove shit to deny warranty coverage (and doesn't).

As you guys probably know, dealerships are independents businesses, not BMW AG or BMWNA, but the service dept gets paid by BMWNA for warranty work, so on the one hand, dealerships are incented to sort of look the other way since they want the business. On the other hand, the dealership probably isn't going to lie if BMWNA starts asking questions, and if BMWNA suspects a tune they can immediately (and for any reason) deny warranty coverage; they're likely not going to conduct an investigation, they'll just deny coverage and let the lawyers deal with it.

I've had many friends get hit with this, and one guy got stuck in the Dinan loop where BMWNA denied coverage due to Dinan (on a new 3 series with a blown engine with 3k miles on it and not a single one driven in anger), Dinan refused coverage until BMWNA documented it was the tune that caused the problem and BMWNA said (he ended up buying a junk yard engine, installing it himself, and selling the car). The Dinan "warranty" isn't really a warranty, it's more of insurance in case BMWNA refuses warranty coverage which, once they do, they always will for the life of the car.

So basically you gotta find a dealer who's not overtly going to tattle on you and hope BMWNA doesn't start asking questions if something big happens.

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-23-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #70
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Has anyone gotten one of these tunes to see what the actual RWHP is? It seems like the B58 that's in the Supra is the same engine in many BMW models.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:51 AM   #71
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
Ran the race chip on my m5 for a bit. Worked nicely to get a moderate boost in power, without getting too deep into modding, etc.

How much boost does it add for the g05 40i on most aggressive setting?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #72
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

I'm torn between the Race Chip GTS and the JB4 for an X5 M50i.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      10-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #73
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I'm interested in just what kind of troubles you have seen with it. I have a Dinan tune on my F30 and when I had issues I took it back to the dealership to resolve as I had it installed there. There was a cable issue that took almost a month for everyone to figure out. What kind of support do you have? I'm on the web Site and there is no number to call in the US. looking at the Cost $750 for 49HP and 73 RWT isn't bad if those numbers are real. I don't see any dyno sheets available.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      10-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #74
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
I'm interested in just what kind of troubles you have seen with it. I have a Dinan tune on my F30 and when I had issues I took it back to the dealership to resolve as I had it installed there. There was a cable issue that took almost a month for everyone to figure out. What kind of support do you have? I'm on the web Site and there is no number to call in the US. looking at the Cost $750 for 49HP and 73 RWT isn't bad if those numbers are real. I don't see any dyno sheets available.
If you purchase from me, Support will be through me first before RaceChip.

You can call me and talk.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #75
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, X7

Are there any dynos out there on.a B58 with the racechip GTS? They claim +75hp/tq. This seems a bit high vs JB4/dinan. Is this the increase in max hp and torque or are they claiming the max increase at a given rpm like some others do?

Also, are they playing games like using the advertised numbers as the baseline (which is under rated) and then advertising their gains over BMW's under rated numbers?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      10-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #76
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Are there any dynos out there on.a B58 with the racechip GTS? They claim +75hp/tq. This seems a bit high vs JB4/dinan. Is this the increase in max hp and torque or are they claiming the max increase at a given rpm like some others do?

Also, are they playing games like using the advertised numbers as the baseline (which is under rated) and then advertising their gains over BMW's under rated numbers?
The advertised number is crank hp and used MAHA dyno.
JB4 and Dinan may use different number and dyno.
Oh, not to mentioned different gas.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #77
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Are those results on 93 octane or race fuel?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      10-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #78
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Quote:
Are those results on 93 octane or race fuel?
Not sure what they use in Germany.
For sure pump gas, just not sure which octane.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #79
Vingard
Rep
Drives: X7

Where would I find detailed instructions on how to install the GTS Black on my xdrive 40i?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      11-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #80
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingard View Post
Where would I find detailed instructions on how to install the GTS Black on my xdrive 40i?
There's a good video on YouTube if I remember correctly
      11-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #81
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RaceChip have their installation video on YouTube or whoever sells it to you should provide you with one.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:10 AM   #82
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
I guess they used Aral ultimate 102
it would be 95 in the US.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      11-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #83
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
Quote:
I guess they used Aral ultimate 102
it would be 95 in the US.
Possibly.
I have to ask them when I see them.
I don't think the delta would be much different.
Based on my own testing, the delta on before and after is pretty close.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #84
Vingard
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Following up here. The support team at RaceChip provided me with the instructions I needed to install this myself. Having never done any work on any engine myself, the task was initially daunting, but ultimately a relatively straightforward process.

100% enjoying the upgraded performance on my X40i.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12801.50
cptcolo102.00
      12-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #85
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Ok, so what are the 0-60 times that you test? Stock vs race chip?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #86
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Do we have any real world numbers on the Racechip piggyback? Looking for M50i ones. I had one on my 650i years ago and my "butt dyno" didn't notice any difference. I sold it and got a flash tune for the same car, and noticed a differnce in power immediatelly.

Would love to see some of the claims backed up by a 3rd party before pulling the trigger. Something like a before and after dyno or Dragy would be nice. I've seen people not gain anything on dynos and they claimed to have some "adapting issues" on the older cars.

All I see are their own videos on Youtube, which can be easily manipulated via throttle using 0-60 and 60-130 pulls.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #87
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Do we have any real world numbers on the Racechip piggyback? Looking for M50i ones. I had one on my 650i years ago and my "butt dyno" didn't notice any difference. I sold it and got a flash tune for the same car, and noticed a differnce in power immediatelly.

Would love to see some of the claims backed up by a 3rd party before pulling the trigger. Something like a before and after dyno or Dragy would be nice. I've seen people not gain anything on dynos and they claimed to have some "adapting issues" on the older cars.

All I see are their own videos on Youtube, which can be easily manipulated via throttle using 0-60 and 60-130 pulls.
I installed the GTS Black on my '20 M50i. The first head unit did not work (it was not the wiring harness) and it took a few days and a lot of emails but I was sent an entire new unit.

I headed to the highway, Southbound and ran 2 stock runs. 0 -100, 40 - 100, 60 - 100, 60 - 130 (error with these run) and 100 - 200 kph.

I then went back North and ran the same runs as close to the same sections as I could with RC on setting 7 (max).

The GTS has multiple settings which I believe just increase the psi. I should also note, I ran with the RC on for about 500 miles before these runs.

I will say that I do not see any gains at 0 - 60. I have done many launches at the same spot. I have logged every launch into a spreadsheet; down to tire pressure, temps and so on. I did the same on my X3M, just a lot more launches.

I have also logged launches on my friends X3M with RC GTS Black too. That had a different results than the M50i. Comparative times across all bands were improved.

I am attaching 2 pictures for the M50i.

As for the 60 - 130 run....I had to lift both times with RC on. 1st time was a police car and the 2nd a car pulled into lane.

I will try again in Spring.

As for the GTS Black....the ease of the app is nice. Allows you to turn it on and off easily. It is easy to adjust the maps, if desired. If you don't plan on messing around from changing the maps on the fly. Skip the app, it is so basic. I was fortunate to have my friend hook me up with a wholesale price on a new unit, so I am not too disappointed. Would I be disappointed if paid full retail, probably and would have returned it.

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished, that being said, if you want one, buy from Ben (rgstoprts). If you have an issue, you want someone to be in your corner and wants to make sure you are a satisfied customer. I know first hand that Ben does everything to make sure you are satisfied with everything you buy from him.

In my opinion, the use of piggybacks on the V8's within the BMW SUV's lineup has marginal gains. I tried Burger unit on my '16 50i and it didn't do anything.

The debate has always been, do they work? Yes they do and the gains will be different for every variant of engine.

I am going to order a JB4 in the coming weeks and do a comparison in the Spring. The only concern I have with JB4, is the disconnection of Mass Flow sensor for lengthy periods of time.

I should mention, having the RC installed, so far, I don't notice any changes in shifting when pushing it.

I have also had the chance to run some launches on a stock X5MC. Definitely a smokeshow....I ran a 3.45 on my first run to 60. So unless I do a ECU tune and even then it's doubtful, I should never say "it's like a ///M, just 20k less". lol
Appreciate the feedback and the kind gesture to me and my business.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #88
malba2366
Private First Class
Rep

Do you have any experience with the race chip with the B58 mild hybrid engines?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50