BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2023, 05:30 PM   #67
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The heating/cooling is accomplished with a Peltier device...essentially a special type of diode...run power through it one way, it heats, run it the other, it moves heat the other way. It relies on a fan to remove the heat when operating when in cooling mode. FWIW, there is no such thing as 'cold'...it's an absence of heat, and you can move heat around through various techniques. It depends on the device how much heat it can move...the more power utilized, the more heat it can move. The reason it can be a little noisy is because of the fan required to move that heat from where it is not wanted.
Appreciate 1
cobramite1227.50
      08-10-2023, 05:40 PM   #68
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The heating/cooling is accomplished with a Peltier device...essentially a special type of diode...run power through it one way, it heats, run it the other, it moves heat the other way. It relies on a fan to remove the heat when operating when in cooling mode. FWIW, there is no such thing as 'cold'...it's an absence of heat, and you can move heat around through various techniques. It depends on the device how much heat it can move...the more power utilized, the more heat it can move. The reason it can be a little noisy is because of the fan required to move that heat from where it is not wanted.
Now that is interesting. I have heard of a Peltier device but had no idea it would do this.
Heat extraction with a diode, that is cool stuff for sure.
for that info.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 01:54 AM   #69
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Do the people who find the absence of this gimmick a hardship have heating and cooling apparatus for their drink containers at the dining room table also?
Well no but then I usually also don't spend 6h straight at my dining room table.
Appreciate 0