BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #67
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
With the PHEV's battery low, you might be in your closed garage. The engine is off...you go inside, and the engine turns on because the battery level dropped enough, so to me, at least, it does make sense to shut things off when you leave.
It's all just programming though, so couldn't they just as easily make it so that if the car is pre-conditioning with a low battery, it won't automatically start the ICE?

Quote:
On my 2011 BMW, an ICE, unless the driver's seatbelt was connected, it would shut the engine off when the driver's door was opened, so that logic has been in BMWs for a long time, at least on some models. My 2014 i3 was the same way...open the driver's door with the belt off, it would shut down. So, all of my limited BMW sampling operated the same, whether ICE, EV, or PHEV. Liability and the risk of someone suing someone in the USA with the lowest ratio of people to lawyers also may be part of the issue.
Quote:
As I said, my 2011 BMW 535i GT would shut off when the driver's door was opened, so that characteristic is not new to BMWs. So, my three types of BMW I've owned, ICE, EV, and PHEV have all operated the same exact way...open the driver's door without the seatbelt latched, they shut off. Why some appear to let the engine stay on and others don't, can't say.
That's odd because my E93 doesn't do it, nor did my kid's '13 X3--they'll happily run all day long if you get out of the car.

The 45e is my first BMW that does this. I wonder what the distinction might be between your examples and mine?
      12-14-2023, 01:20 PM   #68
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
That's odd because my E93 doesn't do it, nor did my kid's '13 X3--they'll happily run all day long if you get out of the car.

The 45e is my first BMW that does this. I wonder what the distinction might be between your examples and mine?
It is not odd at all. E93 is a 3 series hardtop convertible. I have one at point. In fact, it was actually my wedding car. It absolute doesn't shut off when driver door is open. Around the same era, I also have E82 and E87. Both don't shut off.

And I keep telling myself to refrain from calling out on this guys, unless misinformation is really getting out of hand. So let me leave it at this.
      12-14-2023, 04:16 PM   #69
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

My F07 definitely shut off when I opened the door, as did my i3, and now my G05. What others experience, I cannot say, or why that happens. I have my opinions, and have expressed them that way. The F07 was before they introduced ASS, if that makes any difference, and since I no longer own either of them, cannot say what version of software they contained at the time. I know the F07, picked up in Munich before being redelivered in SC at the performance center, had a s/w update for US spec, and at least one other time to address an issue, but it was also before OTA updates.

The fact that they shut off, didn't bother me, and now with the PHEV, since it's easy to continue cabin conditioning (takes a click to activate), it's not an issue if there are passengers inside, or I want it to continue for myself. The i3 would let you do that as well. The F07 did not have remote start, if that matters, so it was always off until you started it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #70
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
The fact that they shut off, didn't bother me, and now with the PHEV, since it's easy to continue cabin conditioning (takes a click to activate), it's not an issue if there are passengers inside, or I want it to continue for myself. The i3 would let you do that as well. The F07 did not have remote start, if that matters, so it was always off until you started it up.
Having to push a button/screen to turn on conditioning, then restart the entire vehicle for a quick run back inside the house isn't efficient or convenient.
I'm not talking about going into a store and doing my shopping. I'm literally talking about something like running back into the house to grab a coat. less than a minute for sure. probably less than 30 seconds.
It's just dumb for it to turn off that quickly and solves/prevents zero problems.
It is 100% bad UX design.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 02:25 PM   #71
Kgerry59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5

I find it a PITA when i stop right beside my community mailbox and want to step out and grab my mail, literally 1 step from the car and the vehicle shuts off and i have to restart it to proceed the next 50-75 yards to my house.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 02:38 PM   #72
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

Since my 2023 has the ASS disable button, depress it prior to opening the door. Otherwise, you could just put it in sport mode. Then I do the lower driver's side windshield FOB lock procedure to keep that annoying alert at bay. I suppose I could adapt to both hitting the engine start/stop button each time or opening the door. Opening the door to shut off the engine seems a bit more convenient to me.
Appreciate 0